Subterranean Slaughter! - Kingston, NY - Aug. 5th

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Subterranean Slaughter! - Kingston, NY - Aug. 5th

Post by HBWW » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:20 am

This thread has taken an excellent turn, I see.

Now, a near-last minute shopping list for me in case I come back to this thread to see it:

- Glow Sticks
- Face Masks
- Military-Grade Flashlight

I probably won't get any of these since there's so much stuff to do; who knows.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

scottthewaterwarrior
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:41 am

I could probably pick them up if they are not too far out of the way on Wednesday. I'm guessing HBWW and I will ride in the same car, and my dads wagon should have more than enough room. As usual I am leaving much later than I wanted too, I blame the guy that hit and ran me last night, I had to spend a bunch of time patching up the taillight so I didn't have time to pack until this morning. Anyway, I just got to grab a few more things (such as the blasters, lol!) and than I will be heading out. I don't have a smart phone so I wont be able to reply until tonight.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:22 pm

If you do bring marauder's nephews, first make sure that they aren't scared of the dark, haha. I also only have six dust masks, so people would have to bring their own if there are to be enough to go around.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:21 pm

I have a total of 4 dust masks, so I should be able to cover some people. Also the nephews insisted on being picked up by duxburian, so they wont be coming until later.
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:26 am

I know this is probably going to be difficult to do, but if there is anywhere in the caverns that y'all can get a photo I'd be much obliged.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:11 pm

We tried to take photos when we first explored the place the week before Soakmore, but not many of them came out very well due to the darkness and all the dust. DX might have a few good ones, but most of mine are crappy. The one I used for the title image in the first post was probably the best I had.

But anyway, this war was quite different than anything I've ever done. The fighting wasn't quite as good as I was hoping, but that was to be expected given the experimental nature of this war. I think the main problem was that we didn't have quite enough lighting, and most people just kept their flashlights on. This made for less stealth warfare than I was hoping for. I only made like two successful ambushes, compared with well over 10 at Soakmore this year, where it was much brighter. The flashlights were supposed to be more for if you got lost or something, but we only had one lantern (and the glow sticks didn't help much, but at least they kept people away from the dangerous areas) so a lot of the cave was in darkness, which led to people using them often.

As far as the battles themselves went, I personally liked the first one best, even though there were less numbers (3v3). When we first started, my team didn't use the flashlights at all, and moved forward very slowly into the darkness. It was extremely intense. The enemy turned them on a few times, but only briefly. That was how we found them. That, and there's a lot of echo in there, so you can hear even the slightest footsteps. I think we were like 30-40 feet away from them when someone fired the first shot. Then people turned on their lights and got sort of locked into place, fighting around one of the old brick structures. I'd stashed my flashlight in my backpack, but I ended up taking it out so I could use it to sneak around and attack the enemies from behind. I used my really dim light, covered it with my hand, and pointed it at the ground so I could just see where I was going. I believe I was spotted before I could attack, 'cause of the flashlights, so I don't think I hit anyone but I think that got the enemy on the run. We spent the rest of the battle fighting around the large columns in the cavern, where the fighting became less stagnant. I had the most fun there. Well aside from the beginning, 'cause that was just pure intensity.

But then HBWW's gun started leaking, so we had to end the battle like half an hour early. By the time everyone finished getting new guns and refilling, it was about time for Duxburian to arrive so we went out to wait for him. When he arrived we started the second round, which ended up being 4v4 'cause I guess Tony didn't want to come. In my opinion, this battle wasn't as good as the previous one. It was nearly all fought in the middle area (with the most columns) where the first battle ended up. But this time more people had flashlights, including some really bright ones. It became a game of avoid the light, which was difficult because the cave is rather open aside from the columns, so it wasn't the most enjoyable game. Though it did have some good moments. This one ended early too, 'cause Bailey had to leave (which he didn't tell me until the day of the battle...). It was becoming rather stagnant/repetitive at that point anyway.

I don't know if I'll be able to do anything like this for a while, but if it does happen again, I think there needs to be more lanterns (if we had three or four of them it would've been perfect), and a big restriction on flashlights. Either nobody can use them at all except for emergencies, or still allow them, but they must be very dim. Despite the hiccups, I still had a good time. The whole war was probably the most intense I've fought in, especially the beginning of the first battle, when we knew the enemy was like right in front of us in the darkness, but we couldn't tell exactly where they were or how far away. So big thanks to all who came, and hopefully you had a blast.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:27 pm

I'd be interested in doing something like this and I can contribute several bright lanterns to the effort. I'd want flashlights to be used for emergency purposes only. What guns did people use?
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:30 pm

Mostly light CPS. I used my 1200, AMBUSH used his 1021, and Bailey used our Vanquisher. As for the others, I'm pretty sure it was all 1000s and 1200s, except for Danny who used a 150. I think Scott had his Crickets as well.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:43 am

That's cool. Tony couldn't make it because he had to meet with his school counselor that evening, that's why he couldn't go. I talked with his mom.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:45 pm

I had the crickets for the first battle, but they never got used. Sometime during the second battle I decided to just ditch them entirely as my navy blue cargo pants don't have as big pockets as my camo ones do and they were slowing me down. If we do this again in the future (and I'd like to), we should keep flashlight but just have more limits on them. I had a pretty small one, and it was handy just so that I didn't trip and to see where enemy shots were so I could dodge them. The problem was that some people had really bright ones that made it imposable to see anything, sadly I never thought to take advantage of my teammates really big light and charge while he was blinding the enemy. I did pretty poor this war, totaling I think 3 kills and 2 deaths over both rounds, but it was still really fun.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:16 pm

I don't know if I told all of you or not, but I knew that there was another cave in the area (in a different town), that a friend of mine went kayaking in. Well I did some snooping around yesterday, and managed to find it. And believe it or not, this one is even bigger than the one we fought in! I figured it'd be mostly filled with water, but in actuality it was mostly around the edges, and there was plenty of dry space. I was not expecting to find this at all!

Compared with the Kingston one, this one is bigger, but less wide open. There are lots more structures and old mining equipment. I'm thinking this one was abandoned more recently. There are actually many entrances, all fairly close to each other, and on two levels. Sadly the upper level doesn't really connect to the lower one aside from this vertical shaft, and it's mostly divided into individual tunnels. The lower level is where it's at. I think it's more epic than the one in Kingston, and it'd definitely be an awesome place to hold a Subterranean Slaughter 2. However the surrounding woods is more difficult to get into (we had to walk along the road and quickly run past this gate), and more dangerous. It's not as wide open as the other one, and there are many things to trip on. Also, since it's bigger, we'd need more lanterns and glow sticks.

So I don't know if we'd be able to do anything with it, but I just felt like sharing. If anyone is up for exploring it with me (before the 26th), let me know. I'm going to try to find a better way to get into the woods surrounding the mine.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:11 pm

That's insane. You can go kayaking in the cave? Daaaaayyuuuuuuuumn. I'd love to explore that.