Subterranean Slaughter! - Kingston, NY - Aug. 5th

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
scottthewaterwarrior
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Re: Subterranean Slaughter! - Kingston, NY

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:47 pm

As far as my schedule goes I just can't make Monday as than I would have to drive up the day before and miss Sunday at the LEGO con. Tuesday would still work for me, its just that I would like to be able to stay up there with someone so I don't have to drive back home and than back up only a few days later.

By the way SEAL, wasn't one of your brothers planning on coming to the LEGO con some year? If he still wants to go, he could take the train down and I could drive him back up. He'd have to get signed up soon though, I'm not sure when the deadline is, but I think it is pretty soon.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:10 am

So we're looking at Tuesday through Friday then? I would prefer Tuesday but whatever works for the rest of y'all.

My brother talked about going to the Lego show a couple years ago, but I don't think he's that interested in Legos anymore.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

DX

Post by DX » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:49 pm

So, I found out that I have a week off from driving the neighbor's kids, but it's the week before Apoc. So, regardless of what day we have this war, I won't be able to make it until around 3 PM at the earliest.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:56 am

That sucks. Do they have to go to camp? :p What we'll probably end up doing is splitting the war up into two rounds. In between them I'll go out to find you. Make sure you don't get there late, as there's no way for you to contact us and I want to minimize downtime. When you arrive we can switch up teams and play for another three hours. I'm still going to stick with 1HS 'cause I want the action to be spread out. Doing objective rounds usually confines the fighting to near the objective(s), and I want this war to have a manhunt-like focus.

Oh yeah, Duxburian, did you say you had some powerful lanterns? If you can't arrive until later then it'd be good if you could send them with HBWW. I don't think the glow sticks alone are going to cut it.

Now we just need a date. If nobody says otherwise, shall I set it to Tuesday August 4th?
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

DX

Post by DX » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:41 pm

It's a sailing camp 45 minutes away, and I'm paid for this, so yes they have to go. I remember exactly where the cave is, so you don't have to worry about that much, I'll have at least a medium primary filled and ready to play.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:04 pm

If we are having it on Tuesday than I would be coming up Monday. Who I'm I going to be staying with?
Since I plan to stay the whole week until Pandomonium I wont be able to bring Bela though. I would invite someone else, but I think he is the only local friend I wouldn't murder after spending an entire week with.
SEAL are any of your brothers willing to come? 2v3 would be rather unbalanced, though I guess DX would only be there for one of them. Also is the cave network big enough for 3 hour rounds? I didn't pay that much attention the last time, but I thought that most the areas besides the main path through the middle were underwater.
I may have a lantern or two we can use as well, though I'm not sure about using them in a cave because they are gas. My dad has a couple dozen yellow glow sticks, they only last for half an hour though, so they probably wouldn't be very useful.

Oh man, I'm going to be spending 6 hours in a cave! I guess I will bring a bag of Dum-Dums lollypops to go with the pretzels, though I'll probably need to bring a lunch too.
Me+no food= :x
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:30 am

DX: Oh I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding the cave, but finding us might be more difficult. Since we're going to be switching up teams when you arrive anyway, I'm still going to stop the battle at 15:00/3PM. And yes, we're only fighting with medium guns or lower.

Scott: I'm pretty sure you can stay at Duxburian's house along with HBWW.
My brother (AMBUSH on here) says he'll come. chief is going to be away that week though. So far that still only leaves us with 2v3 for the first round, but I'm going to invite some other people and hopefully we'll get at least one or two more participants from here too. I'll honestly be happy if we get six for the first round.

The cave is certainly big enough for three-hour rounds (which will probably end up being more like 2.5 hours factoring in setup time and stuff); we only explored maybe a third of the accessible areas (some of it is indeed underwater, but that's a lot deeper in) when you were there. You also have to remember that it'll be dark, and have the characteristics of a night war. Which means lots of sneaking around and setting up ambushes. There won't be any boring standoffs or repetitive fighting here (knock on wood). The portable labyrinth was pretty small, and I would've had no problem with fighting there for three hours straight. Battlefields seem bigger when you can't see your enemy coming a mile away.

What on earth is the point of half-hour glow sticks??? I'd bring them anyway; if you have a couple dozen we can replace the old ones in between rounds. I bought 20, but I don't know if that will be enough. Bring the lanterns too just in case. And yes, definitely bring food. We'll eat during downtime, though you can certainly bring snacks with you during the rounds as well.

So as of now I set the date for Tuesday. It can still be changed, so if someone has a problem with the 4th then we can work something out. We got about two weeks to go! Edit: So just after writing this I found out that I am unavailable on Tuesday, grr. So it will have to be either Wed, Thu, or Fri. Which works best? Edit #2: Well AMBUSH can't make it Friday, so that leaves us with either Wednesday or Thursday.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

Snoop Doggy Doge

Post by Snoop Doggy Doge » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:17 pm

Yo Scott when are you gonna be up there? I'm deciding when to travel there, I might leave and arrive Tuesday, but I can do that Monday or possibly Sunday unless my plans fall through

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:31 am

Just in case it got missed, the only available days now are Wednesday and Thursday. I will probably set it to Wed for now, so we'll have some rest for Pandemonium. But if that won't work for you, let me know.

Snoop: Is Scott picking you up?
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

Snoop Doggy Doge

Post by Snoop Doggy Doge » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:43 am

takin that MNRR up there, I swear to god if my dad or my uncle doesn't pick me up I'll be so fuckin pissed. If we're setting it to Wednesday I'll leave Tuesday for sure. Wednesday sounds fine, and one day of rest is good.

EDIT: About those filtration masks too, I don't have one lolololol, I needs one.

DX

Post by DX » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:39 am

Scott, you can stay here, but it will be the new house, so bring a sleeping bag as the beds may not have been re-assembled yet. You'll need to help with the move if we still have boxes to bring in, and we'll need to spend as much time out of the house as possible. We could skirmish and/or explore the 4 big parks in my new neighborhood (Saugatuck Falls, Topstone, Mark Twain's Stormfield, and The Rock Lot). We could also play test the new Japanese knotweed park I found along the Housatonic River.

SEAL

Re: Subterranean Slaughter! - Kingston, NY - Aug. 5th

Post by SEAL » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:59 pm

Bailey's coming now, which means I've reached my attendance goal of at least six for the whole war. Yay! (Knock on wood that nobody bails out.) But still, the more the merrier. Anyone else is welcome.

Also, I believe I forgot to mention, it's not exactly toasty warm in the cave (it's like 40-50 degrees), so make sure to dress appropriately. I'm probably going to go with my cargo pants and a T-shirt. I actually went in again recently and found a new area; this tunnel in one of the walls on the edge. It goes in a ways then ends, but there are two mineshafts in there that are filled with water, and are so deep that you can't see the bottom. It makes me wonder if there is a lower, submerged level of the mine. I need some scuba gear, haha.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

DX

Post by DX » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:13 pm

One reason I leave the lakes alone is that they can be vertical shafts, straight down over 10,000 ft. I toured a mine in Arizona where they still had a working light system underwater and could illuminate the flooded shafts - HOLY FUCK it's like looking off the top of a skyscraper. That shaft was *only* 4,000 ft!

Snoop Doggy Doge

Post by Snoop Doggy Doge » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:58 am

That's a really big shaft Rob, you have pics?

the oncoming storm
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by the oncoming storm » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:39 pm

That's a really big shaft Rob, you have pics?
Snoop Doggy Doge I did try not to say this, but you set that one up so well I can't help it.
That's what she said!

Me :D everyone else :oo: :o :(
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:09 pm

^ Oh, if only you knew this guy lol.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:04 pm

the oncoming storm wrote:That's what she said!
Oh come on, that's too obvious. :p The best ones are delivered when nobody expects it. I think my personal best was in response to someone asking "how did you do that?"

DX: You can't see very far into these shafts before it gets too dark. They're also rather small, maybe the size of a hot tub (only the water is cold AF). There is a much bigger deep pool (I mentioned it before), but you can't see very far down that either. But that and the two shafts are the only deep pools that aren't in the flooded section. The rest are shallow. But 10,000 feet?!?! The tallest mountain in the Catskills is 4,180'!

That new tunnel I found is also pretty much off-limits, as it's in one of the walls at the bottom of a steep slope. As I mentioned, the ground slopes sharply downward almost all around the perimeter of the cavern, and while you can go down there...there's really no reason to except to hide, and we have the hunting rule here.

This is the day after tomorrow! On Wednesday I will get there around 11:30 to place the glow sticks, and hopefully everyone will be there by 12. This is exciting! Keep an eye on the first post for the most recent information.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:57 pm

I can't believe I agreed to come to this! Oh well, I'm not about to back out now! I plan on bringing a lot of water bottles so we shouldn't have to worry about dunking guns in the lakes. If I can get over my fear, this should be truly awesome! If not, I have a bag of 200 Dum Dum lolly pops to distract me from all the dark cavey stuff!

DavidTheDankEngine

Post by DavidTheDankEngine » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:41 am

Snoop Doggy Doge wrote:That's a really big shaft Rob, you have pics?
robs 10000 foot shaft.gif
robs 10000 foot shaft.gif (409.91 KiB) Viewed 7890 times

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:20 am

Is there any way Rob or someone else can take Tony and Danny?

Also lol, you new guys are great.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.