Pandemonium 2 [New Haven, CT] August 8th-9th, 2015

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
DX

Re: Pandemonium 2 [New Haven, CT] August 8th-9th, 2015

Post by DX » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:09 pm

The points are cumulative, at the end of the tournament, the team with the most points wins. The point (bad pun) of the change in point values in the rounds is to ensure that there remains a point (another bad pun) of continuing to play, even if your team got slaughtered in the first two rounds. The extra kills feature is there to keep things exciting in case of ties. CTF could easily end up in a tie, as could VIP, as could OHS even. Again, there remains a reason to keep playing, even if you got shot the most out of everyone. That half point in every round is up to 1.5 extra points you could earn or take away from the other team.

Bringing guns is recommended, but we will have loaners. All you really need is a light primary ( Colossus, Colossus 2, Python 2, XP 150, XP 310, Max-D 6000 etc) and a medium primary (CPS 1000/1200/2100, Gorgon, Vanquisher, Blazer, etc).

Round 3, the 3 hour OHS, might be a "chaos" round, except we'd draw blasters out of a hat beforehand, no running for boxes. Your team captain would draw guns for your whole team and then you can allocate them as you see fit. You could end up with an XP 55 or a CPS 2000, it's all random chance. Cedar Hill has extremely limited refilling options, so the refilling game will play a prominent role.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

the oncoming storm
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by the oncoming storm » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:07 am

It sounds like a fun idea DX I wish I was going.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:37 am

What happens if the CTF or VIP rounds end early? Would we just extend 1HS? Also, for the second day where you say you don't have a third round yet, how about we do a large-scale 1-flag CTF or similar defense game? Maybe something like where the defense has to defend like 10 or 20 flags. The offense would start from far away, and would ideally have many different ways to attack.

For night rounds, if there's a full moon out, we should totally stay at Cedar Hill. The rounds would probably have to be shorter and closer though.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

DX

Post by DX » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:33 pm

We can extend OHS, yes. If nobody wants the tournament to end in a tie, we can also have a Round 4: OHK if necessary. We can try a large 1 flag CTF game. The round order for Sunday is also not set in stone, it will basically depend on where each round is played, so we can stage and refill intelligently without walking back and forth and back and forth.

Cedar Hill in the summer at night should be treated like any other abandoned place. We'd need to be sure that nobody else is there before doing night rounds. There'd also be no going back to the cars, so we'd need to have everything we need already inside the "park". I've been unable to determine how much of it is actually public and what the closed hours are.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder

Post by marauder » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:13 pm

Sounds great. FWIW the 8th and 9th will have quarter moon. Sunset Friday 8:05 pm and Saturday 8:05 pm. Sounds like it will be fun.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:02 pm

I don't really think I would want to do Cedar Hill at night. Besides the tripping hazard poised by playing in such an area, the mix of light and dark is what makes night wars so interesting, a wooded area that is all dark (even with light from the moon) just doesn't sound that fun IMO. Though if others think it would work, I am still willing to try it as they only experience I've had with night wars in the woods is that 2v2 in the small woods behind Marauder's house. I think I will see if I can get any local friend to come to this as well, if Bela can get off work he'd probably enjoy it and I might even ask Christian too as what he lacks in skill, he makes up for in strategy, which I feel could come in handy with such long rounds.

Duxburian, would we be staying at your house again?
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:11 pm

Wasn't there a big grassy open area at Cedar Hill? I think that would be fine. You are right about the mix of light and dark. I really liked that in the factory at Beacon. I think I liked that more than anyone else actually. Was the fighting in the woods behind my house too dark? I'm planning a spring war for next year with something similar except the battlefield will be much larger.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

DX

Post by DX » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:45 pm

There are two big grassy open areas, Ambush Field and the Grasslands. However, both have things to watch out for, anything from pipes to pieces of buildings to rails and ties. You can also end up crossing live tracks or transfer platforms surrounded by scrap metal if you veer too far to the left. It doesn't sound like the best idea now, lol.

It is nice to have some kind of light-dark balance in night wars for fairness more than anything else. The more rural your home region, the more of an advantage you have in the dark. When the lights went out at the portables, DC locals needed flashlights, but to me, it was almost bright as day. Likewise, Camp Wilson at Downpour got so much darker than Easton that I couldn't see shit. Urban and suburban people play at a disadvantage unless some part of the venue is bright enough that everyone can see there. I don't mind the imbalance right now, but one day I'll live in NYC and it will suck.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:03 am

Well if it's only a quarter moon I probably wouldn't fight there. It needs to be light enough to see where you're going, 'cause we don't have NVG, haha. I also like places with a light/dark mix, but we'd need to find a suitable school or something.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:47 pm

Unfortunately, as we approach the war date it's become clear that Drenchenator and I won't be able to make this due to scheduling difficulties. Hope you all have a good time. I think next summer will be better for me.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:57 pm

^Aww man. We had record numbers on the attendance list! (Well, Hydropocalypse might've had more, but a lot of them were guests.) The turnout still looks good so far though. DX, have you reached out to those on the "invited" list? Also, I was wondering; where are we staying? Will we be at your new house? If so, I'll need to know where it is. So far it looks like I'll be doing the same thing as last year: arriving Friday night and leaving Monday morning. Though I might head out Sunday evening if there are no night wars then.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

DX

Post by DX » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:12 pm

I still have extremely limited internet until Tuesday. I'll reach out to the rest of the list when cable is installed at the new house. Check your PMs for the address.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:21 pm

Internet is up, we are just about fully operational. Be aware that most outlets in the house are only 2-prong, so plan accordingly. (We might have enough "cheater plugs" that adapt to the ground prong by then, but we don't know yet.)

Also, bring a sleeping bag/padding and pillow.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:52 pm

My computer is only two prong, so it wont even be a problem for me. I hope to be out the door by noon tomorrow, although I haven't had time to pack yet, so it depends on how long that takes. Does anyone coming to this/subterranean slighter need loaner guns? I plan to bring a lot of refill bottles, but I am probably going to be using my 1000 even in anything goes rounds so I probably wont even bring my 1500 or 2500 if no one else wants to use them. What are our plans for Thursday and Friday? Should I bring any Nerf guns?
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

DX

Post by DX » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:03 pm

Need to scout schools for night rounds if you want night rounds, and we should probably check on Cedar Hill as well.

DX

Post by DX » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:03 pm

We found a school complex (5 schools!) for night rounds. Sam, Van James, Scott, and soon David will be here. We did some exploring and fighting last night, probably some more tonight. If you're coming to the war tomorrow, meet us in the parking lot behind Target around 10 AM:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3490893 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Remember to fill the soakers ahead of time and carry in extra water+lunch+whatever else, I didn't build in time for going back to the cars in between rounds. Pack light! I am aiming to collect the nephews around 9 AM.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:49 am

Honestly, I think there's a good chance that at least some of us will be late. We'll have to see how it goes. Better to be late and have all the equipment and sleep we need and be able to fight all day and into the night than otherwise. There's quite a few things to be done but I'll do my best to stay on top of it.

Everyone who's a part of this is expected to stay in communication. Standard channels: Phone, this thread, Facebook, and PM's, in that order.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

DX

Post by DX » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:47 am

Tomorrow morning, I need to go to Easton to feed pets, then get gas on Black Rock, then get the nephews in Danbury, then meet everyone in New Haven. These things are in different directions and will take at least 2 hours, so please push me out the door if I don't want to get up. I set my alarm for 7:15 and need to be on the road by 8. We might need multiple cars, you don't want to ride with me unless you want to get up early and go all over SW CT.

Sam, please remember to fill the water containers from the attic closet. If you don't see them, keep walking back. We also have the drinking water gallon containers and I have 2 gallons in my car. Bring as much water as you can. Cedar Hill has 3 suboptimal sources: the river, which is brackish.salt side dominant, the toxic pond, which is safe/only looks bad, and the secret pond, which has probably gone dry. Not all of the venue has been explored yet, but I wouldn't count on finding more sources.

Feel free to call or text me, but I'll be driving a lot in the morning and I don't text and drive. If we're going to be late, please try to aim for at least 10:30? I don't want a lot of people waiting in the parking lot. Only the entrance area is actually part of the...park...the rest should be treated like an abandoned places war. The big, empty lots on both sides of the grasslands/badlands are of questionable ownership status and should be avoided entirely. If you walk into the park without me, DO NOT GO THERE and make sure they are empty if you walk by them. The staging area is in the abandoned Storehouse (the place we used during the Frozen Fury test war).

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:53 am

We (scott, david, van, and I) will be about 40-50 minutes late.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

DX

Post by DX » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:26 am

If anyone wants to come today (like Brandon), we will be at Old Ridgefield Road Open Space in Wilton, CT around noon. It will be more casual, but there is no need to carry water and the walk in is a few seconds. If we do night wars, it will be around Weston High School sometime after sunset.