[Bethesda, MD] Soakemore 2015 - June 19-22

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
DX

Re: [Bethesda, MD] Soakemore 2015 - June 19-22

Post by DX » Sun May 31, 2015 9:14 pm

I am driving neighbors to summer camp in the mornings during June and July, so I can do Friday nights, but I can't do Friday mornings or Monday mornings.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:22 am

Looks like this may be best as a Friday night to Sunday afternoon war. I am going to contact old Aquatica member tr007 and his brother about this. They live in Maryland and northern VA.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

scottthewaterwarrior
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:49 am

Looks like our best bet is weekends as most seam unable to make it weekdays. I myself my not be able to make weekdays depending on whether my job application goes through. It has been raining quite a bit so I haven't done much scouting yet, but it should clear up soon and I plan to spend at least a full day trying different locations out. The proposed date is coming up fast, so I will get back to you all as soon as I can.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:24 pm

I think we have 2 good options:

- Resume the old plans: reserve the island on Friday for those that can make it, then run Saturday and Sunday as the main days of the community war at other places. (With big emphases on night wars lol.)

- Shove it to some other weekend so we can use the island.

On plan B, I won't be staying on the east for a week due to lack of nerf war incentive. Let's figure this out ASAP so I can get my schedule planned; there's a nerf and paintball event at home that I'll be missing if I go to NENO 12 so I'd like to have that figured out.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:15 pm

*bump again

We need to figure this out, this is in less than 2 weeks! Do we want to skip Sycamore Island (or put it on Friday), or put off the event to another weekend? I need to know so I can be prepped for NENO 12 this weekend.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Cochise

Post by Cochise » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:24 pm

I'm intersted in going... have to make one of these... but it is really pushing the limits on distance. We'd have to do some pretty epic fighting/no chance of this being a dud for me to really commit to going. I think my family might let me, probably, though I'd have to come up with the money.

DX

Post by DX » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:31 pm

Honestly, if your main limits are family approval, distance, and cost, you might want to wait for Pandemonium or similar war in CT or NY. That's still a drive, but a lot more manageable.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Cochise

Post by Cochise » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:49 pm

Yeah, CT and NY would probably be ok. We have family on long island, and at 18 they are starting to let me roam more now. I think my family has always been pretty approving of "fleeing the nest" and being adventurous, but I only just got my license, so that puts some restrictions on things.

What are you looking at playing at pandemonium?

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:02 pm

Had a quick chat with Scott. The current plan is to continue on the weekend of June 19th, which means I gotta prep up for the road trip for this weekend! Looks like we won't be at Sycamore Island at all this time, so our daytime wars are fairly dependent on what gets scouted out.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:13 pm

Cochise wrote:Yeah, CT and NY would probably be ok. We have family on long island, and at 18 they are starting to let me roam more now. I think my family has always been pretty approving of "fleeing the nest" and being adventurous, but I only just got my license, so that puts some restrictions on things.

What are you looking at playing at pandemonium?
I agree with Duxburian, you should try and go to Pandemonium as it sound like it would be a lot closer. Soakemore should still be good this year, but I started the planing too late and as such it is later in the summer then I would have liked. (My bad :oops: ) We wont be doing the island this year, it will probably be really hot, and as such it will mostly be night wars. It should still be fun, but I'd probably stick to Pandemonium as your first war as Soakemore next year should have awesome night wars and day wars!

I have been having pretty pour luck with scouting so far, I have checked out 5 locations at this point and non were very good. There are a lot of parks around me, but most of them are centered around streams located in a Vally, which would result in just about every battle being a race to the top of the hill. Wood Acres Elementary School is also unusable for night wars as it is under construction. I just got back from checking it out, and it is a lot more secure then the last time they renovated the place, no trespassing signs, padlocked gates, and 6 foot tall fence that didn't look very climbable. I plan to widen my search for good day battlefields starting tomorrow by going out to Great Falls park and maybe Blockhouse point if I have time. Not so sure about Great Falls, as it is mostly just woods, but Blockhouse point apparently has some Civil War ruins that might be fun. :)

Worst come to worst we can hike a little up the canal a little to use the very northern tip of Carderock (which we haven't used yet) one day and Westmoreland park the other; because it will probably be so hot during the day, the main focus is going to be the night wars anyway, to which there are no shortage of schools in the area and I plan to explore as many as I can before next week.
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:16 pm

scottthewaterwarrior wrote:and as such it will mostly be night wars.
...and LOLSOAKFESTS!?!?

Off topic: Scott, check this thread. DX and I are expecting you this Sunday! =p http://waterwar.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=165&t=6757
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

DX

Post by DX » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:45 pm

Isn't the northern tip of Carderock mostly big cliffs? It also won't be *that* hot, considering my first trip to Carderock was in the 2010 summer at 108 degrees, lol. The Potomac burned to the touch and not from pollution. I remember almost passing out on the canal towpath and ploughing my head into some random spring-fed creek that was ice cold. Somehow, I made it back to Tenleytown on foot.

That said, the long range forecast is for 90s...in June...like wut.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:04 pm

It might be, it has been a while since I explored the northern part of it. Anyway, apparently there is an entrance fee for Great Falls (although the website doesn't say whether it is for the VA side, MD side, or both) but I plan to check out Blockhouse Point today instead. The entrance fee would only be $5 a vehicle, but giving that their is a chance that the park service will freak out over us just using water guns, I'd rather not pay the $5 just to get kicked out after 5 minutes. I also plan to call all my local friends later today, so the attendance list should get updated with more people by the end of the day.

Edit: I was waiting until it cooled off a little but just realized that the traffic getting to Blockhouse Point at this time of day it going to be a nightmare, as such I am going to explore the northern tip of Carderock instead and save Blockhouse Point from the middle of the day tomorrow. I plan to stop by a school or two on the way back, so I will be back on with my findings in an hour or two.

Edit again: Oops, it was longer then an hour or two. Anyway DX was right and the northern tip of Carderock has way too many cliff edges to be usable. However, there seams to be less underbrush than usual so the area south of where we normally fight is playable. It could be a very nice spot too, as the underbrush is just thick enough to provide concealment, but still thin enough to walk through. There is also a camping area much farther north that looks really nice, it will be too hot to camp out this far into summer, but it would be great for next year.
I went to check out Radner School and it is actually where Wood Acres is located since they are renovating their normal school building. Just about the entire field is filled with portables, at least a dozen of them, so night wars are going to be really awesome!

DX

Post by DX » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:05 pm

PORTABLES

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:11 pm

MOAR PORTABLES?

HydroBrawl Water Warfare

DavidTheDankEngine

Post by DavidTheDankEngine » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:58 pm

Will any of you guys be driving through the 5 boroughs on the way to the war? If so can I carpool with you? I can help pay for gas. Also, do we need tents for this one or will we be sleeping a a member's house?

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:39 am

It looks like I'm going to be picking up Duxburian, which means I'll be nearby. We could probably work something out. I don't know which car I'll be taking; if I take the Mustang there probably won't be enough room, but I'll see if my parents' car is available. I'd prefer it if you could take the subway to the outskirts though, so I don't have to drive through the city. And no, we won't need tents. We've always stayed in Scott's house.

Looking forward to next weekend!
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

DavidTheDankEngine

Post by DavidTheDankEngine » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:18 pm

By the outskirts you mean like the Bronx? Yes I can totally do that.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:33 pm

Yeah, like the station that we parked at. I don't remember which one it was, but it was in the Bronx, at the end of one of the lines. I'm sure you know the best place though. Just let us know where to go. I'll get back to you when I know exactly when we'll be arriving. Uh, don't be late this time, haha.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:48 pm

Looks like there is going to be quite a few people staying at my house, there should be enough space, but I'm not sure if I have enough sleeping pads and blankets. If you have the car space, I'd bring a sleeping pad, bag/blanket, and pillow. Worst come to worst I will drive my Grandpa's camper over and park it in the driveway, then some people can sleep in that.

The first post has been updated with the full attendance list and schedule!