War Planning - Sam's Awesome Michigan Mixer of Intense Tagouts (SAMMIT)

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

War Planning - Sam's Awesome Michigan Mixer of Intense Tagouts (SAMMIT)

Post by HBWW » Mon May 18, 2015 12:18 am

Still in the planning stages.

Current candidate weeklong plan:
Friday to Monday, 10 days
First weekend: Stock Nerf, NIC and paintball mixer
Week: Assorted shenanigans, skirmishes (WW and NIC), scouting, workshop build parties, show and tell, etc. Maybe we can drive north to a campsite and skirmish somewhere.
Last weekend: Standard community water war schedule

Feel free to discuss availability and gameplay expectations. If you're looking for 6 hour water wars over large woods, be aware I don't have a lot of locations scouted out and that not many people will be playing. Edit: Scouting is a work in progress. See lower posts.

If you're looking more to screw around and try random sorts of games, you're in the right place.

As usual, we will play day and night, rain or shine, regardless of game. I will try to organize/time the Nerf games to get some of that group around as well.

Again, still in the planning stages. Discuss what you'd actually do around the candidate plan. I'm obviously looking a bit outside of the standard water war weekend and am trying to get something together with a little more variety, and whether or not that works is really up to everyone I invite, especially you guys.

Edit: Adding candidate weekend-only plan:

Game Types:
- NIC Daytime: NIC style nerf played during the day. Contingent on our community's interest and availability of equipment. Will definitely try to get some OH nerfers for this if we choose to do so.

- Nerf Nighttime: NIC or stock nerf nighttime. My backyard only.

- WW Daytime: Standard stuff.

- WW Nighttime: Adrenaline rush only night wars can deliver.

Alternative Game Types:
- Paintball: $20 per person (covers all rentals and 500 rounds) at Lone Wolf West/East. (Decided via popular vote. West is pure terrain paintball in the woods, East area has smaller/more fields, indoor tiny CQB field, a laser tag venue, and a thrift store)

- Disposable Ammo Shootout: Using .50 cal low impact paintballs or Xploderz ammo launched out of custom nerf/homemade blasters and equipment, and requires only safety goggles. (Full seal preferable.) Playable anywhere water wars are playable. Paintballs are more risky, Xploderz ammo leave no trace. 250ish FPS (higher for Xploderz) limit. Very experimental and contingent on equipment availability. PM or Facebook message me if you want to get more involved.

Locations Types:
- Large Woods: Bald Mountain State Recreation Area, (scouting others, potentially some parks along the Clinton River near Clinton Township): Daytime water wars only.

- Small Woods/Park: James C. Nelson, Firefighters, Raintree, Huber, or River Woods: These are pre-scouted areas that are small (by our standards) but contain enough variety of open area, park structures, and woods gameplay. All of these places have either tap sources, natural sources, or both. Day or night water wars, or daytime nerf.

- My Backyard: Supports any nerf, water war, or lite paintball game, day or night.

Friday Night: HBWW Workshop & Armory Tour, Backyard Wars (WW light primaries or NIC)
Saturday Morning:
Saturday Afternoon:
Saturday Night: Backyard Wars (WW light primaries or NIC)
Sunday Morning: Small Park
Sunday Afternoon: Small Park
Sunday Night: Mod party, gaming, assorted shenanigans. Or night wars.
Monday Morning: Mod party, gaming, assorted shenanigans.

Saturday and Sunday's main events can be swapped with each other. In addition, some of the "Small Parks" can support NIC gameplay as well as WW night wars, should we be inclined to do so. (This could be our first shot at night wars in the woods for a while; our "standard" woods are a bit too unruly for this.) My backyard supports both NIC and water wars gameplay, but water wars are best at night.

Will reorganize this post later. Too much going on right now.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Re: Sam's Awesome Michigan Mixer of Intense Tagouts (SAMMIT)

Post by SEAL » Mon May 18, 2015 9:31 am

God Sammit. I was actually just going to make a post about doing something sometime soon, since it doesn't look like Soakemore is happening this year. When will this be held? I can probably make it, but I don't know if I'd be able to stay the whole time. As usual, it would also depend on how many others are able to come. People would be welcome to carpool with me.

Do you have battlegrounds picked out yet? If so, it'd be nice to see pictures.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon May 18, 2015 2:19 pm

Soakemore is still happening, just going to be later than usual. You can still run your game as well; nothing is anywhere near being set in stone yet.

I can definitely crunch the event down to just a weekend or a weekend plus a few days. If this is easier for everyone, that's what I'll do, but the other activities may cut into our standard water warfare schedule. With my current candidate plan, anyone who wants to sit out of nerf can easily do so while still getting the full weekend of water wars.

Doodle Calendar created, subject to heavy revision if we move the event to single weekend format.

https://doodle.com/uhyvpph2k9auguk2
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Tue May 19, 2015 2:05 pm

Well I was only going to host something if nobody else did. I do have an epic idea for a war, but I'm not sure how feasible it would be. I will make a post about it sometime this week. So let's see, we've definitely got Pandemonium in early/mid August, and Soakemore in...what, late June/early July? That actually sounds pretty gross (maybe we should focus more on night wars?), but I'll still try to come if it's on. So I suppose this war would be best in early/mid June. I don't know what my schedule's like so far, other than that I can't come June 18th. If this war falls through, I'd like to set something up; hopefully it won't be too short-notice though.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue May 19, 2015 6:11 pm

Once I get my final job offer I'll be able to say for sure when I'm available. I should receive this in the next 2 weeks. I received a "conditional" job offer that I would have the job after passing a psychology test, which I just passed yesterday, and a drug test, which I will pass whenever they call me in.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue May 26, 2015 5:11 pm

The weeklong thing is really dependent on popular demand (and I'd like to limit that time period to just community war members whose homes I've stayed at to keep things simple) and on whether any weird surprises come up. It already looks like I'll have a successful week-long road trip planned out next month, and I'll definitely need some amount of time to recuperate after that.

I scouted out a park. It's thick and difficult to navigate through when you're off the main trails, and it's home to hunting season, bikers, and other recreational activities. It has a ton of wildlife; some areas you might accidentally step on a frog/toad. I've found some potentially suitable refill points, but have not tested the water. The ponds can't be accessed normally; they form into streams that go under the trails and that's where the water has to be pumped out.

There's a distinct lack of thronbushes, which don't seem to be common here. The foliage has fewer directly navigable paths than usual; can't really just walk through some of it.

Google Map of area

Will be exploring other places; this one isn't all that appealing to me but definitely looks to be the type of field some others here would prefer. Perhaps there are more ambush opportunities here than I'm seeing.

Bald Mountain State Recreation Area requires a pass; $9 for out of state vehicles for a single visit. http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-15 ... --,00.html
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Cochise

Re: War Planning - Sam's Awesome Michigan Mixer of Intense Tagouts (SAMMIT)

Post by Cochise » Tue May 26, 2015 6:22 pm

Nice trails. I'm not really interested in nerf or paintball though. I mean, I like nerf guns, but nerf wars are typically lame compared to water wars.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue May 26, 2015 6:33 pm

What we end up playing is ultimately up to what those who attend want to play, irrespective of your poor experiences with nerf wars. =) Edit: Although if you're attending, your preferences have been noted.

Primary focus of this event is still water warfare, but I'd like to bridge across communities and games to see what possibilities might be found there. I will leave much of this up to popular vote, but there's a real limit to the water warfare that can happen here before we're basically just doing almost the exact same thing we always do. It goes without saying that mixing up the games and adding some longer range projectile-based action prevents things from getting stale.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Wed May 27, 2015 9:21 am

That's not a bad-looking park, though it looks to be more suited for long-range battles. We'd probably have to confine the fighting to a smaller area than the whole park; say, bounded by one of the trail loops.

Nerf has the potential to be intense, but I think the problem is that the hobby mainly revolves around modding and building, and wars are an afterthought. You see huge advances being made in the workshop, that I don't believe any other wargame can match, yet nearly all the wars just consist of shooting at each other in a field from behind a few bits of cover. I know there are issues with losing darts and stuff, but I think it would be worth it.

Actually, if this war is going to be mixed, it might be the perfect opportunity to have a hardcore Nerf war (feels so weird to type that, hahaha). Maybe not in Bald Mountain, but perhaps a battlefield similar to Dug Hill. I think a Nerf war at Thunder Gulch would be awesome.

So this would be in July?
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Wed May 27, 2015 10:04 am

The reason I brought up Nerf modded to launch low impact paintballs or Xploderz is precisely because of that. The dart loss in some environments would be so absurdly high, and we'd have to spend so much time making new darts, and that's not even considering the environmental impact. Paintballs and Xploderz degrade very quickly; it's like throwing an orange peel out in the yard. Darts do degrade, but take quite a while. (Any darts with plastic or rubber, such as stock or sillidomes are the worst. Slugs at least let the foam and cotton degrade easily and then the washer rusts away. As for so-called "biodegradable" BB's, let's not even go there.)

I have more parks on the list that fall into "Large Woods" category. Will eventually scout some more and update this thread.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:46 pm

Update: Duke Wintermaul is planning to rent a warehouse for NIC Nerfing purposes in Dayton, OH. July 19-20 (Sunday and Monday) will be the days that the games will run. While this doesn't necessarily mean a return to the week-long event, I'd definitely like to get my event to overlap with the warehouse war.

We can discuss additional details in a few days in person. Perhaps I could rung games that spill over into the week a little bit.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare