2015 WaterWar.net Community Wars

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

2015 WaterWar.net Community Wars

Post by SEAL » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:57 pm

Community Water Wars in 2015:
Soakemore 2015 - Bethesda, MD - June 20-21
Subterranean Slaughter - Kingston, NY - August 5
Pandemonium 2 - New Haven, CT - August 8-9
Frozen Fury 2015 - Redding, CT - November 28-29

Let's start planning! Last year was a little less eventful, but maybe this year we can make up for that. Use this thread for posting war ideas. Want to host? This is the place to post. (That rhyme was intentional by the way.) As usual, please save talk on specific details for the actual war topic. This is mainly for gauging interest, and of course, listing upcoming wars. We should add a list to the homepage too, since it needs to be revamped anyway.

So far the scuttlebutt points towards Soakemore continuing for the third year, as well as another Pandemonium. I don't know if Frozen Fury will still go on, or if it'll be scaled down or what. There was also talk about doing an all-day (or close to all-day) single-round war at Cedar Hill. I like that idea of course, and it'd be great if we did it over spring break; it won't be too hot, there won't be many ticks/creepy-crawlies to deal with, and you still can't see very far. But that depends when everyone's break is. They likely won't line up. Otherwise we could roll the war into Pandemonium, or simply pick a better date. As I said, cooler weather would definitely be preferable.

Let's make this year a good one. My interest in water wars has dwindled lately, and I'd really like to ignite the spark again, if you know what I mean. Post your war here with a planned date and location, and if there's enough interest I'll add it to the list.

Edit: Unstickied now that all 2015 wars have come and gone.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: 2015 WaterWar.net Community Wars

Post by HBWW » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:26 pm

Who's up for Michigan? I'm not that up to speed with the scouting, but I do have some locations down that could be worth trying. I do plan on moving out soon though, so if anyone is interested you'll have to speak up quickly. I should be available all year to host, with exception to major Nerf events taking place far away from me.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:16 am

I might be up for it. There's a possibility that I'll be going to Minnesota to meet some people from another community I'm a part of, plus combine it with a fishing trip to the Great Lakes (I wanna catch a muskie!). If that happens, it'll be in July, so I may be able to make a MI war if it's held then. It also depends on how many other people can make it.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

DX

Post by DX » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:20 am

I still don't have enough money for Michigan. Even if I get a new job soon, I'd still need a new car first, or need a lot of funds in reserve to deal with any problems with my current one. The route to DC for Soakemore is never far from support, but the route to MI passes through a long stretch of nothing and carries substantially more risk.

For 2015, I want to have another Pandemonium, probably around the same time in mid-August, most likely at Cedar Hill. Whether Frozen Fury runs again depends on whether we can find new abandoned places. If we make it a single day war, I am more willing to drive out to the Hudson Valley for sites. I also want to try the single round war at Cedar Hill in the Spring. However, we need at least 6 people with the mental endurance for that.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:35 pm

Michigan could be an option for me if I get hired in the north east. Unfortunately, most of my job applications have been getting denied due to being outside of the area for consideration even though I'm willing to pay for cost of transportation to the interview. State and local governments want to hire state and local residents. There haven't been too many Federal openings north of MD, but I've only just started applying for jobs as I've got 5 more months left.

If I don't end up in the north east Michigan will be a bit trickier. I may be able to make it from Clayton/Raleigh and even pick up theoncomingstorm on the way if he's game, but if I end up in Myrtle Beach, Charleston, or Savannah (furthest south I'm applying) it will probably be too far of a drive.

Soakermore is a definite yes for me no matter where I end up, since even the furthest location (Savannah) would only be 8 and a half hours away.

Pandemonium should be a yes no matter what as well.

Frozen Fury is also probably a yes.

Basically, so long as I get a job I can make it to any war on the east coast. I have no problem with taking off a Friday or leaving after work and arriving sometime around midnight.

I'd also like to put together some kind of hike in the Adirondacks or in the presidential range. I also have 2 kayaks now, along with a canoe, and am wanting to do a river trip if anyone is interested. Nick and I took an awesome trip to Savannah a year and a half ago, which was made even more awesome by our exploring of Baltimore, Civil War battlefields in VA, and some cool stops in Charleston and old scary slave plantations in the South Carolina low country. Trips like that you will always remember. I'm glad y'all are interested in doing fun stuff like that.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:36 pm

marauder wrote:I'd also like to put together some kind of hike in the Adirondacks or in the presidential range. I also have 2 kayaks now, along with a canoe, and am wanting to do a river trip if anyone is interested. Nick and I took an awesome trip to Savannah a year and a half ago, which was made even more awesome by our exploring of Baltimore, Civil War battlefields in VA, and some cool stops in Charleston and old scary slave plantations in the South Carolina low country. Trips like that you will always remember. I'm glad y'all are interested in doing fun stuff like that.
Dude, hell to the yeah. Let's get the League together and just have random battles along our adventures.

How badly out of shape am I able to be and still make it? I still can't do a real, proper pull-up. Winter blues does bad to workout routines.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

DX

Post by DX » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:27 am

A river trip would be awesome, preferably somewhere with islands that we can land on and explore. Having a naval war involving multiple islands and boats is on my bucket list. Some of the larger rivers are full of sandy islands that would be ideal for this. I have my river kayak ready to go whenever. It's 8 ft long, weighs only 28 lbs, and only draws about 3-4". I have short paddles too, basically if a water body is at least 5 feet wide and 5 inches deep, it is navigable in that kayak.

One of the ex-interns at Triple Threat TV got around the area of consideration problem by moving to Conn from Missouri and then applying for jobs. Pretty bold and requires money saved up, but he's found something starting in February. Unfortunately, location is important even if a company isn't paying relocation.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:34 pm

I'd prefer to find a river that isn't super wide or deep and with lots of islands if possible. This would be a good trip for stream machines. I started putting NC as my residence instead of MS and my applications have passed the initial review, the step before getting an interview. Pretty funny. I wonder what they think about MS or if it's just because NC is closer.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:25 am

Hey, is anybody interested in doing a sort of tournament-type thing? You know, where we pick teams at the start of the day, then go through a selection of rounds. Whichever team wins the most rounds, wins the war. I feel like this could make things more intense. I'd prefer the rounds to be on the longer side; maybe 1.5 hours at the least. I figure if not enough people are available and/or willing to do all-day rounds, this would be the next-best thing. What do y'all think? Maybe if we can't make it a separate war, we could do something like this in Soakemore or Pandemonium or whatever else we're doing.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:42 pm

That sounds really fun. I'm imagining if we have our average of 10 people at the war we could do 5 teams of 2.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:15 pm

The tournament thing sound good so long as we made sure the teams are pretty even. Slightly unbalanced teams are OK, but I just don't want another outgunned, outnumbered, and all the good strategists are on one team like that round at Paine (or that round at Soakemore now that I think about it). Personally I think that the most important thing in picking even teams might actually be making sure that both teams have good leaders. I'm a pretty good fighter, and I always think I have a good plan of attack (so people tend to follow me) but my ideas almost never work and just make my team loose.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:35 pm

I ought to just give up on having balanced teams and just play. (And loose, and loose, and loose again and see if I somehow get better from that.)
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

DX

Post by DX » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:57 pm

You mean lose? Lol.

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:13 am

Yeah CA99, this isn't archery tag, but i'm sure you knew that :goofy: .
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:21 am

Hey Stephen, I'm probably going to be travelling through Knoxville on Saturday March 7th if you wanna do something.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:15 pm

My spring break appears to be March 28th to April 5th this year. Not sure why it's so late this time, but is anyone available for a war then? A single-round war at Cedar Hill would be rad, but we could do something else too. When were we going to do that river battle thing?
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

DX

Post by DX » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:44 am

This would be an ideal time for a snow war...just bring shovels and it can be piled up seriously high for cover. However, it would take a long time to build enough stuff to have fun. We're still on for a single round Cedar Hill war if there are enough people for that (at least 3v3). The river battle is kind of a pipe dream, but if we could actually pull it off, it would happen some time in the summer probably.

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:11 am

Just wanted to bump this thread by asking everyone what their schedules will be like for this year, and if possible next year. I know things are changing with people moving, transferring colleges, getting jobs, etc. so I think this would help us plan a lot.

Monday May 18th I'll be back in NC and I won't be working for a month. I will be free for wars, but since I won't be working I do not know if I'll have the money to travel.
Between June and October I will be in training for my new job, so I would probably only be able to make a Saturday, or a Saturday and Sunday morning for the war.
After October I will be working weird 12 hour shifts that go like - 4 day work week, 3 day workweek, 6 day work week, 1 week off and paid. So, there will be a ton of time off to fight.
Around January of 2016 I will be in SC for 3 months doing Army training. After that I will go back to my super flexible schedule.

So, some restrictions, but once I get in the groove of my job I will have way more time off and availability to fight than I did even when I was in college in NC.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:06 pm

The last day of school for me is May 15th. I'm trying to get a job over the summer, so I don't know what my schedule will be like. If no one hires me I'll probably be free almost all summer. At the end of August I'm moving to Binghamton, and won't be able to do anything except on weekends. I don't know about next summer. Ideally I'd like to get a job at Lockheed Martin then (which is based in Binghamton), but we'll see when the time comes.

Sooo...onto wars. Is Soakemore still a go, or what? I should be able to make that one, but we need to get things together soon if we're doing it at the end of May like the previous two. As for the summer, I know Duxburian said that he might not be able to host anything, so I've been thinking about trying to throw something together. It would be different than most other wars; I'm thinking of doing like a tournament (as I mentioned above) with fixed teams. The rounds would be on the longer side; I'd like to do all-day but I don't know how many would be up for it, so maybe I'll go for 2, 3, or maybe 4 hours with long rest periods. It's still just a thought in my head though; I'd like to have some chats with you guys soon about it.

But we need to get crackin'!
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

DX

Post by DX » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:35 pm

Whenever we do Soakemore, I want to host a night war segment, you know where. The number of portables and their configuration has changed since last year, but they are still there and it would still be one of the most fun things we've ever done. Watch the footage if you weren't there to see the unmatchable epicness of the portables.

The list of possible houses is shortening and given the current locations, I will be able to continue hosting wars. If my family ends up going for the Sport Hill house, we'll be able to fight in a great portion of Centennial Park directly behind the house. If we go for the lake house, we can have naval wars in the backyard. The other houses are closer to Saugatuck Park and that area, I like the wilderness, but I know that not everyone enjoyed the...hills...

I am leaning toward a Pandemonium on the 2nd weekend in August. It would be at Cedar Hill, and the Saturday action would be 3 rounds of full park boundary OHS, about 2-3 hours per round. Round 1 would be worth 1 point, Round 2 would be 2 points, and Round 3 would be 3 points. The advantage of 3 rounds with that point spread is that it always gives your team something to fight for. If you lose the first 2 rounds, you can still tie the final score in the last round. If both teams win a round, either team can win outright in the last round. Ties are worth 1 point to both teams. The last round being worth the most points also means you have to conserve energy and water over the course of the day if you want to win the whole game outright.

Frozen Fury would be in whatever date slot that Ben can make it up to visit his nephews. This is the abandoned buildings war, so we need a fresh set of abandoned buildings. Either that, or a school complex that hasn't been tried. Fairfield has a pretty good looking High school middle school combo area.

I'm not sure if we'd do a Day 2 of Frozen Fury. Day 2 of Pandemonium could be interesting though, as Cedar Hill supports large area CTF and VIP games. Full park CTF between the tunnel and storehouse could be epic.