War Footage Repository/Hosting?

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

War Footage Repository/Hosting?

Post by HBWW » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:24 pm

$69.99 a year to host, coming soon.

http://techreport.com/news/27273/onedri ... -365-users

Of course, there will be catches and limitations, probably via throttle. We'll see.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

DX

Re: War Footage Repository/Hosting?

Post by DX » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:45 pm

I would personally prefer Google Drive, I wouldn't touch Microsoft with a ten foot pole. I use G Drive every day for work and it's great - drag and drop uploads, easy (re)organization, great collaboration features, handles massive files up to 5 TB, has really in depth edit history and version control. $10 a month for 1 TB.

Google Drive also offers unlimited business storage for $10 a month per user, but you need to have at least 5 users. I have Warmaster Trading Company, which is an eligible registered business in the state of CT, but 4 of you would have to be willing to pretend to be employees (I don't know if they really check) and pay $10 a month. It doesn't sound worth it tbh.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:43 pm

I like Google, but my one concern is multiple people being able to log in. We had the great idea of having a community Google account, but it is almost never utilized because whenever anyone other than Sam wants to log in it locks up due to everyone else not living in Michigan or logging in or whatever from one of his computers, which requires getting a text confirmation from Sam that someone isn't hacking the account. If we used Google Drive wouldn't we encounter the same problem?

I really do want to start doing more with our footage, but I don't even have a computer at the moment. Both of you are better with editing than I am anyway, but I would be willing to take the time to learn. I'd also love to just hang out and work on footage. Shame we don't all live near each other.

What are other alternatives?
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

DX

Post by DX » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:28 pm

Google Drive's collaboration features allow you to share permissions among as many addresses as you want. Having one shared account is a Web 1.0 concept, it's now 2014 and multiple people can access and modify the same resources at the same time. As long as someone keeps the primary account alive, it can share full permissions with others. I've never encountered the geographic security in G Drive, our Colorado film crew and Stamford post house log in from each other's accounts all the time in both locations.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:57 am

Google might have changed that, but our infrequent usage may have triggered the security measures.

Microsoft has gotten better as a company, but has too much history of baggage with the inability to adapt properly. Still, I think they at least know what they're doing now.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:06 am

*bump

The need for a good central repository keeps growing, especially as we start trading war footage with nerfers. The needs are extending outside of what can be provided by common cloud storage services, as I need to be able to set up access control and aside from said access control, all users need to be able to access the same pool of resources. A simple FTP server might be what I need, although I may look into what Owncloud can do as well. The biggest problem of course, is the fact that we need so much space. The footage is eating up hundreds of gigabytes of storage each year and my budgeting is not keeping up with it. (And the technology is barely keeping up, funny enough. We'll see once 6 TB HDD's reach the $100-$200 range which hopefully won't take too long.)

It's an annoying problem with even more annoying solutions. As long as we're not mailing Blu-Ray disks back and forth though... (Except no one has a BD burner, not even me.)
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

DX

Post by DX » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:40 am

HBWW has lots of space, but only 2-3 mbps upload speed. I have around 28.6 mbps upload speed, but little space. Everything sucks, Soakemore is cancelled!. Space is getting to be a huge issue - a war like 2011 Downpour didn't even take a whole gb, but a war like 2014 Soakemore takes over 40 gb. I'll need to buy another drive soon, somehow.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:58 pm

A really weird idea just occurred to me, and while it involves MONEY, it might be the cheapest way to do this:

Cheap web hosting to run the web app with access control + DropGoogleOneDriveBox Cloudy Thingy + Cloud Thingy's API.

Web app manages accounts, user control, access limits, etc. and interfaces through the cloud storage via their API. The web app and the admin are the only ones who can actually access the cloud storage. Because 1 TB hosting is EXPENSIVE, but 1 TB Cloudy Thingy is cheap. So far, I'm only aware of Dropbox and Google who can handle the API's appropriately. Obviously, they will impose transfer limits which we'll have to bring down with us to the web app as we go.

So even if this is a really shitty solution (it comes down to Cloudy Thingy's bandwidth limits through their API), at least it's creative.

Edit: Or I can just pay $2.49 a month for MediaFire and their 1 TB of storage and ability to create what they call a FileDrop: Folders for others to upload into. They also have an API as well and their prices are dirt compared to Dropbox. There were other file hosts and file lockers out there with similar pricing as well.

Edit: I have some Mediafire directories set up. If people need to start grabbing or uploading footage, let me know. Access is granted by email address, so I'll need your email if I don't have it already. Sure beats the hell out of having to write an application.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare