Soakemore 2014

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Soakemore 2014

Post by HBWW » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:31 pm

I thought we wanted to figure out exactly when it's going to be, before figuring out the details. I'd prefer a final date sooner so I can ask for the time off.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

scottthewaterwarrior
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:23 pm

Yes, I really need a definitive date before I can make a good schedule, Friday and Monday should be the same, as well as both Saturday and Sunday nights, but during the day will very based on the dates the war is held. I need to reserve the island within the next week or so does May 30th to June 2nd work for everyone? I think I also need to give them a head count of how many are coming, so let me know soon.

In other news, I am planning to hold a small war (probably just 2vs2) at Westmoreland Park this weekend to test it out. I will try and get some pictures and let you know how it goes.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:35 am

Judging by previous discussions and the current lack of replies, it looks like the weekend of the 30th to the 2nd works ideally for most.

I have a slight change of plans. My family will be visiting family in the area at the same time, so I'll be going with them. This means I'll have to pack minimally since I won't have a car after being dropped off. The duration of their visit is up to me as far as I know, but I think they may need to make arrangements with the others. Either way, doesn't change much for me. I'll still be staying along after the war for roller coasters, nerf wars, and other assorted shenanigans, but it may or may not be for the whole week, not sure yet. It will probably depend on how fun it is there lol.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:56 pm

I will have my dad reserve the island for that weekend tonight. If someone has a problem with that weekend, let me know now or it will be too late to change the date. I also haven't gotten a chance to test out the new battle areas yet. I was planning a war this last weekend, but only two people were available and I didn't think a 3 way free for all would be a very good test. This weekend is Easter, so the test will have to be next week; I really want to test play Westmoreland Park before the war, it would suck if people drove 5+ hours and it turned out the location didn't work. Worst come to worst though, it gets tested at Soakemore, if it doesn't work it would only take a half hour at most to go somewhere else, but it would mean time wasted. The underbrush should be growing in now too, that will be the real factor on how good the park is.
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:53 pm

I'm about as equally confident in maps, photos, and videos as I am about playtests involving different numbers and types of players from our group. What I'm saying is, don't sweat it too much; the real playtest is Soakemore itself. Of course, this requires more foresight to be able to identify problems based on previous experience. For example, we know what features will turn the field into a MOAB-like experience. We know how standoffs happen at chokepoints. We know we need refill points. I do suppose testing is worthwhile particularly if there are certain features of the battlefield that are either inclined to work really well or really badly. (A defensible position, for example.)
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

DX

Post by DX » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:52 pm

Ok, I put that weekend on my calendar.

much drive
such newbie
very soak
many hit

WOW
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:31 pm

Don't have much else to say here. That weekend works just as well as any.

However I do request that we do a long round (2+ hours) of some type one of the nights at the school. It could be straight 1HS, or we could have some objectives to keep the action going. Maybe Outpost? I definitely want to do CTF there again too, but with different bases to switch things up. Last year I enjoyed the games there the most by far, so I'm definitely looking forward to fighting there again. Maybe we could do Zombies too. I think night wars are my favorite type of fighting overall.

Hopefully I'll soon know how many people I'm bringing. How many people aside from me and anyone I bring are coming? Scott was talking about inviting a bunch more people; will there even be room for everyone? If not, I'll be happy to camp in the backyard.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

DX

Post by DX » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:54 pm

If we do a long round there, all of the night rounds will need to be well-planned because there's no water. I thought that OHS was pretty boring tbh, but CTF was intense. Outpost might work, especially if the bases are placed in not-so-defendable areas.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:57 pm

Outpost would be very, very hit or miss, IMO. I wonder how 1-flag CTF would play in the base of the 4 portables; I'm thinking it would funnel everyone into intense CQB, Frozen Fury 2013 style, while still having enough vulnerability in the defense to get attacked quickly.

Don't see how a 2 hour round would work well, especially if there's a lot of more casual players in. I'd be willing to try 1HS again, but a 1 hour cap would be better.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:45 pm

A lot of comments, but I will try and respond to all.

As far as playing a long OHS round at the school goes, I'm all for it but I agree with CA99 that a 1 hour time limit would be better, two hours seams like a bit much. We could say though that at the 1 hour time limit, if players are still having fun, we could go into a "second half," but I think having a break in the middle would be good. I thought the school (especially at night) worked better with traditional rounds, but if people want to play CTF or another type of game, I'd still be up for it (we should have more people this year, which should help CTF be more fun). I'd love to try zombies at the school as well, it would be a great place for it. Refilling should be OK if we all bring water bottles and multiple guns.

For sleeping arrangements, I really hope no one has to camp in the backyard, like I've said though, I plan to park my Grandpa's RV in the driveway, so we should have room for a few more people then we did last year. My mom and sister will also be out of town, if need be I could sleep in my parents room and someone else could have my bed. Only thing with the RV is that people would have to go in the house to use the bathroom, the RV has a bathroom (and even a shower!) but there would be no where to dump the wast water.

We have now reserved the island, the island day will be Saturday with Westmoreland park and any other locations being Sunday. Which days would we like to have night wars? We can do them all three nights if people want, but it really depends when people arrive on Friday and how tired they are after lots of battling Saturday and Sunday.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:56 pm

I think we need a different approach to zombies. They're not really zombies at all if they can shoot a stream, too. We may need special battlefield setups for it to work at all. Part of the problem is that water blasters are useless outside a very small range of ranges, and absolutely overkill inside that range. Perhaps we could use squirt guns and water balloons instead? xD

Or we can just rename it to "Alien Assimilation" or something cheesy. I'd rather it have a cheesy name than a blatantly incorrect one. Because let's be honest, calling what we have zombies is at least as bad as calling a CPS 2000 a "sniper rifle".

Or perhaps not... If anyone's played Left 4 Dead/L4D2, they know of special infected that can also... shoot... fluids. lol. But still, I think a more zombie-like game would be more fun, if we actually had the means to set it up.

As for lodging, it should be warm enough to camp out by that time, so I'm fine with that. We'll figure that out when the time comes.

My vote's on all 3 nights of night wars. I'm taking Friday and Monday off work anyway, although I still need to bring that up.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:10 pm

Alien Assimilation is fine by me! On the note of cheesy game names, I got one for that game where you switch to the other team when you get shot, "mind wash," it is perfect because we are literally "washing" each other, lol!

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:50 am

^

Anyway, good time to get a playlist worked out now, now that we know when it is.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:50 pm

I like Zombies better; it's easier on the tongue. "Alien Assimilation" sounds like a phrase you'd integrate into fast rap lyrics. If y'all are seriously bothered using the name Zombies, we could just call it Infection.

Scott, can you provide us with a playlist? Even if you haven't completed one yet, you could still post like a rough outline or something, and we could help you fill it in. (And likely arguing the whole way.) I am also strongly in favor of fighting all three nights. The night rounds are so great because there's a lot of sneaking around and ambushing.

This is only about a month away.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

DX

Post by DX » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:34 pm

I'd rather not do anything on Friday night due to the drive, but that really depends on what time I get there and what mood I'm in. Less traffic + lower gas prices + enough food = happier Rob = such bloodlust = much fight.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:28 pm

OK, I am making the schedule now and adding it to the first post. If I can get a head count for who's coming that would be great. I mainly need to know if SEAL's brothers are coming and if anyone is bringing additional people besides themselves.

Update on Westmorland park: I've decided that we are best off having Sundays battles at Carderock. Westmoreland park looked really awesome at first, but I went back today and couldn't figure out what I thought was so great about it. It still does remind me a little of Saint Johns woods, only a lot plainer. There aren't any hills to have stalemates on (besides the big one you go down to get to it) but there really isn't much of anything but trees and bushes. If we end up getting only 6 people like at Downpour last year, it would be perfect, but it just doesn't have the verity needed to support a large amount of people. Like I said, I know I was really exited about it before, but going there again I really can't figure out why.

Anyway, I hope to have at least a rough schedule up by the end of the day.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:16 pm

I think all the core members (me, DX, at least 2 of 3 SEAL bros, if not all 3) are confirmed. Plus we have SSC Ben as maybe and Drench as confirmed earlier in the thread.

Of course, I'll let everyone speak for themselves. But if I had to guess, I'd say we're having a similar turnout to last year, minus my friend who doesn't like water wars enough.

Maneuvering around Carderock was a pain. If Westmoreland can provide some relief from that, I'd be fore it. That'll depend on distance though; we don't want to spend too much time on the road.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:57 pm

I will be definitely able to come next year so long as it's after I graduate and move back to the east coast. Please take as many pictures as you did last year! Also, would love it if CA99 and Duxburian can record some of the action.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:54 pm

We still have huge bucketloads of footage from last summer to send over, although I think you saw a lot of it already during the week after Frozen Fury.

Anyway, I got extra batteries for the GoPro so that I can switch when they die out. This should let me go through the whole day with enough battery life to record (my epic failures of) each game. If more and more people are interested in checking the footage, I'll end up just dumping them somewhere, either by torrents, massive Youtube queue's, Google Drive's 1 TB for $10/mo, or just straight up host them from a box at home. I don't have time to clip out any video, so they stay as they are in the raw. Video editing gets boring fast. I'm about 60-70% through with Frozen Fury's video (which will only be about 5 min) and I'm already burned out on it. However, I'm trying to force myself from doing any fun stuff (i.e. 3D modeling, messing with Unreal Engine 4, etc.) until that's done, but that method of motivation has not been effective so far.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:18 pm

I have added the schedule for Saturday to the first post, but it took much longer then I thought so I don't have time to do Sunday tonight. Please feel free to leave any suggestions you have for changes to games and stuff.

Why did people hate Carderock so much? I felt the main problem was lack of planning. I agree that it could have used a few more ambush spots, but we didn't have much motivation on Sunday last year and I don't think we used the area to its full potential.
Westmoreland park is actually a little closer then Carderock, so if people really want we could start the day there and have Carderock as a backup, I'm really not sure if it is worth it though. I will see if I can take some pictures when it stops raining.