Your Biggest Combat Blunders

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Your Biggest Combat Blunders

Post by SEAL » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:20 pm

I'm sure all of us, at one time or another, have made mistakes in battle that were particularly bad and/or embarrassing. In this thread, we can share and discuss our worst battlefield blunders, so we can learn from our mistakes and just have a good laugh.

I'll get us started. I don't have a whole lot, but there are two that do stick out in my mind like brain tumors: First is from the first 1HK battle at Downpour 2011, where we were ambushed and I made the mistake of trying to outrun the enemy through an overgrown section of woods, which resulted in my tripping over a fallen branch and skidding over a gravel path, ripping a chunk of skin off my knee and getting myself hit in the process. The other one is from the Frozen Fury 2013 Outpost round, where I got it into my head to send my best players up a hill to defend one point (which was up against the edge of the hill), leaving the rest of the team down below to defend like two or three flags. This was more of a team blunder, as it wasn't all my idea, but it definitely makes the list. At least now I have a better idea of how to play that type of game, heh.

What about you?
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Your Biggest Combat Blunders

Post by HBWW » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:08 pm

I got hit by DX at Downpour once because I kept asking questions about a switch.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:51 pm

trying to engage a CPS 1200 head on with a nothing but a Bottle Blitz sure sticks out in my head.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:47 pm

tehehe. I remember charging ~8 cps with a water warriors outlaw. And they had cover too, so I was soaked.
"The world is yours" - Nas

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:47 pm

I have made quite a few blunders in my water war career, so I will try and organize them in approximately the order they occurred.

1. Lending out all my guns at my friend Christian's birthday party: Not really a "combat blunder" but I have to add it anyway. The party was back in middle school, I let Christian's friends use my guns and other then my Flash Flood which I was using, the all ended up broken. It was before I knew about fixing guns and many ended up in multiple pieces (getting tossed over the net of a trampoline and 10 feet down a hill will do that). In some ways it was good though as it got rid of my small XPs and piston pumpers and I ended up replacing them with Vindicators and eventually CPS blasters.
2. This was around the same time as the one above. I shot my dad in the back with my Helix at point blank range, normally this would be fine, but we were doing a soakfest and he had a Flash Flood fully pumped. It goes without saying I was soaked.
3. Thunder Glitch, Downpour 2011: Charged DX and his 12K when he had the high ground and I was using a Helix. Using the Helix was bad enough, but for some reason I kept trying to charge him no matter how many times I got killed.
4. MOAB 2013 Chaos round: My shoe slipped off in some thorny underbrush as Marauder was charging me with a water balloon. I had too choices, step barefoot into the thorns to dodge, or get killed with the balloon. I ended up waiting to long, I tried to dodge last minute, stepped on the thorns, and still got hit with the balloon.
5. Soakemore 2013, Drive by on DX: After a day of battling we packed up and were about to head out. Me, Sam, and Bela were ready to go first and as we were driving out I saw Duxburian walking back to his car. I had Sam roll down the window and fire his gun at DX. I was so tired from a days battling that I didn't think to roll back up the window or even go faster as I thinking about how awesome that was (DX has ambushed me so many times, it was nice to finally pay him back). DX grabbed a gun from his car, and sprinted after us. Because I was going so slow, he managed to catch us and hit me and Sam through the open window, oops!
6. Downpour 2013: This whole event was a blunder for me, mainly because I couldn't decide on what blaster I wanted. I used a different blaster in almost every round and therefor never got used to using any of them and did very poorly.
7. Frozen Fury 2013, final round of day one: My team had made it up to the top of a hill and were defending it against the enemy. I knew as long as we had the hill the other team wouldn't get close enough for us to hit them. I backed off along the ridge line to try and draw Kieth up into the tangled logs at one end of the hill since I knew he wouldn't be able to dodge or retreat fast enough if I charged him. It would have worked but the wind suddenly changed direction putting me out of range.

That is all the blunders I can remember right now, but it is quite a list already.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:04 pm

^ #5 would've made for remarkably badass footage. I'm laughing my ass off just from remembering watching DX sprint to your van that day.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:03 pm

^I don't remember that. It must have been around the time I nearly had a panic attack after finding out my pocket was empty. I vaguely remember you guys messing around, but I was so worried that I barely payed attention. Lesson: Always keep important items like car keys in a secure pocket!

Anyway, another blunder (which again, was more of a team blunder) which was pretty annoying/bad was in the CTF battle in the LBW pavilion at the first Frozen Fury. We somehow let marauder go all the way around the back of the building and slip in the door behind our front lines, which ended up costing the game. How nobody noticed him is beyond me, and it still bugs me to this day.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:11 pm

SEAL wrote: Anyway, another blunder (which again, was more of a team blunder) which was pretty annoying/bad was in the CTF battle in the LBW pavilion at the first Frozen Fury. We somehow let marauder go all the way around the back of the building and slip in the door behind our front lines, which ended up costing the game. How nobody noticed him is beyond me, and it still bugs me to this day.
Actually he didn't slip in the back door. He pushed Jon back and went in the front. I might have been able to stop him, but was worried about getting hit so I decided to try and ambush him inside. While he was there, he threw the flag out a hole in the back of the building. After I killed him (my ambush worked), he respowned and went around back and got the flag. I blame myself for this some, but it was a bit like my mistake in the last round of day one at Frozen Furry 2. I had no way of knowing there was a hole in the back wall (if I remember right there was something in front of it, so I'm really not sure how Marauder knew ether), much the same way I couldn't have known the wind would suddenly change direction just as Kieth reached the top of the hill.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:05 pm

I'm pretty sure he said that he went all the way around the building. He still went in the front door (the one behind our front line); he just took the long way. Someone should've guarded the door, but I had everyone pressing the attack because I wasn't aware of marauder going around until he was actually in the building because nobody yelled out when he did it. I thought everyone on the enemy team was still in front of us.

That round would've been a lot more fun if there were multiple ways to get to each flag. As we found out just last month, single entry points can ruin battles.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:58 pm

battle feilds with single entry points are a good reson for sheilds
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:10 pm

We totally should've plowed through that chokepoint on the Factory CTF game in riot gear.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare