2014 WaterWar.net Community Wars

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Re: 2014 WaterWar.net Community Wars

Post by SEAL » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:46 pm

the oncoming storm wrote:F*** the police
I burst out laughing when I read this. Did anyone else immediately think of the N.W.A. song? Looks like oncoming storm's going gangsta, hahahaha. Sorry, I can't help it. :goofy:

But yeah, a good thing to remember is that the police never think it's as funny as you do. Though with that said, sometimes it seems like the police are hated more than the criminals in this wonderful society of ours. I mean, there are definitely bad cops (especially in big cities), but many of them are just doing their job of protecting the public. Even if it means being a nuisance when we're trying to have water wars in abandoned buildings. The police system is also rather flawed, but it seems nobody running this country knows how to fix problems, so...

Now back to the topic at hand. I still do not think that we could get new members out of random people in a huge soakfest. Maybe a couple of 'em will sign up, and perhaps even make a post or two, but if we actually get one "good" (active) member from that, I would be more shocked than I was when I found out that Hasbro was bringing back motorized blasters. I just don't think it's worth risking my ass in the Traffic From Hell. I mean, if most of ya'll really want to throw something together, go ahead. The best of luck to you. I'm just saying that if I were coming from far away, I'd rather spend money to go to a full-blown community war.

martianshark: I know there were a few members living in CA a while back, but I think most of them left. I really want to go there sometime though; I'll be happy to meet up/fight with ya when I do. (Probably not for a little while yet.)
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:29 pm

When someone who has weed is a "criminal", and someone as trigger happy as LA cops are "police", then yeah, there will be instances where "criminals" are hated less. Most of the time, things go as they should and police protect, but the cracks are showing as the police get increasingly militarized but without the discipline and training that comes with a military. As for us, we've only encountered the good cops (at least at community events), or the cops have only reacted well to us, but it can easily go any other way especially if you're someone of certain race.

The soakfest wouldn't even occupy a whole day, so I don't think it's that bad to spend a little time on outreach. Up to you guys.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:06 pm

CA99 wrote:Just recently, a schizophrenic homeless man in CA was beat to death by police.
Fun fact: That happened in my home town.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:24 pm

Alright, so at this point it does not look like I will be hosting anything over spring break due to the lack of a suitable location. If anyone knows of any location in the NYC area where an all-day war would work without being too boring or repetitive (and where we wouldn't get in trouble, haha), by all means share it. So far I have not found any. I may try to get something going sometime in the summer (because battlefields get better then), but I'll get back to that later.

For now, does anybody want to host a war in late March? I really would like to fight then; I think I'm gonna need the stress relief, haha. Though if nobody can maybe I can still get something smaller together with DX and any others in the area.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:36 pm

FWIW, Knoxville TN is not too much further from just north of NY than Clayton is. Technically the distance is longer, but you avoid NY, Philly, Baltimore, and DC. When you consider traffic it is almost as likely to be quicker to drive from Easton/Hurley to Knoxville than to Clayton. If you want to make another reason to take the trip then turn it in to a Civil War battlefield site visit. You could pick up Scott at Antietam, Gettysburg, Winchester, wherever. You go right through the Shenendoah Valley which is a good opportunity to witness Jackson's valley campaign, and the valley itself is beautiful and good for fishing and hiking.

I seriously think Oncoming Storm should look into hosting this year. I would drive there.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

DX

Post by DX » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:58 pm

Knoxville is 777 miles from here vs Clayton at 645 miles. Clayton can be done in 9 hours without traffic, but it looks like Knoxville is 11 and a half base time. Right now, it's reading 8 hours and 56 min for Clayton, 12 hours and 32 min for Knoxville. I know that's kind of comparing apples to oranges since we don't drive to wars on Tuesdays, but it indicates that the outer routes aren't always clear sailing. Something, maybe traffic, accidents, or weather, is adding a whole hour to the Knoxville route, but isn't affecting the Clayton route. The Clayton route can be a traffic nightmare, but even then it didn't take more than 12 hours.

If conditions are ideal, I might barely be able to make it to Knoxville, but if anything is wrong, it's really iffy whether I could complete that drive.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:43 pm

Yeah, maybe I could do a road trip and combine it with a war in TN if oncoming storm wants to take a shot at hosting a community war. Heck, I might end up going on a road trip regardless. I can drive all day so distance isn't a problem; it's mainly a cost issue, but hopefully I can get something going.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:30 am

Since Seal, DX and M4 are willing to attend a war down in knoxville may we start considering a rough date?
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:47 am

Keep me posted on when and where. Any idea on the battle location? If you guys get something together, I'll definitely look to planning out a trip if I can.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:56 am

As for the location I am thinking we would use Victor Ashe Park, it's somewhat close to my house (5 miles) and had 18 "holes" of Frisbee golf for a battlefield and a large pond we can use to refill near the soccer fields.

As for timing I can host this war over spring break since no one else has plans for hosting that war.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:44 am

Can you post photos, videos, and/or marked satellite maps of the playing area? Disk golf in my area tends to make for okay battlegrounds. The trees are good, but that's it.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:54 am

Spring break is a good time to do it because it'll be warmer down south than it'll be up around here. If I were you, I would start a thread if you're serious about it, and I can add the war to the list in the first post of this topic.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:14 pm

I just got some really good news.

Tiff and I went out to eat with one of my friend Aaron from ROTC and his fiancee. Apparently she's from Danbury, and that's where they are moving after he graduates this May. He's got a slot lined up for him as a Lieutenant in the Connecticut National Guard. I told him about Frozen Fury and he thought it was a completely awesome idea. He wants to start going to wars. Hopefully I'll be able to make more than just one.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sun May 04, 2014 4:19 pm

Less than 1 month for Soakemore!

Any more details on the "NYC area war"? Are we still having this? I know from previous discussions, we decided it wasn't worth trying to throw some games together around the annual NYC soakfest, nor to try to use it for PR. I still agree with that. Regardless, you guys have scouted out a ton of good spots, so I'm sure there will be places worth going to for that. (Although I'm aware a number of those places are better for Frozen Fury, where there will be less public activity.)
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Mon May 05, 2014 4:36 pm

Yeah, I don't think it's worth doing the soakfest war, but I do still kind of want to do something in the mid-summer. There's a pretty big gap between Soakemore and Pandemonium which could use some filling. Maybe we could at least throw together a smaller event of some kind. My idea is to fight at one of the abandoned locations, but at night. That way it won't be too hot out, and at the same time be one of the most intense experiences ever. It'd also be unique and different from the normal wars. There's still the problem of running into undesirable characters, but maybe we can find a place where we won't have to worry about it. I have a few other potential ideas floating around in my head, but I'll have to see. Either way, it'd be cool if we could get at least like 6 people together somewhere around July for something fun and different.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon May 05, 2014 4:49 pm

Police/gang encounters in abandoned buildings at night, oh joy. At least make sure we aren't trespassing first, I guess?

"Don't mess with the 'League, or we'll put a few tap shots at ya."

Although that said, I don't have any better ideas. Michigan won't quite work yet because I don't have time to scout at all anymore.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon May 05, 2014 5:03 pm

Why don't y'all try to hold one where the guys in Canada can go to. Try too coordinate something.

Also, it is pretty funny how we seem to get in trouble with the police a lot. That has happened to me outside of comm wars as well. More reason that we are more hardcore than Nerf, etc. :lol:

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon May 05, 2014 5:20 pm

Nerfers are pretty much camophobic, which automatically makes us more hardcore anyway.

I think the real reason is because of just how much better concealment you need in water wars, due to the incredibly low ranges where people actually get hit. It probably also has to do with many Nerfers needing to play in more areas than flat fields. (Seriously, just look up Apoc on Youtube lol.)

There were a number of members who are fairly closeby, but I could never get anyone to attend the wars. Canadian members are mostly inactive now, too.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare