Vermin War 10 War Story Pt 1

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Vermin War 10 War Story Pt 1

Post by marauder » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:58 pm

The Oncoming Storm pointed out that I still had 1 more war story to write, so over Thanksgiving I got together with my brother and some of my friends and we all talked about what happened, which allowed me to put together what I think is going to be a pretty good war story. Here's the first installment (of 2). I'm also working with some friends on the battle map.

Part I

Although it was a sweeping victory which placed most of the neighborhood under our control Vermin War 9 had also taken a toll on Red Scorpion’s armament. It was a Pyrrhic victory of sorts in that we had come out on top with the W but had been left in such a condition as to be severely disadvantaged for future engagements. One more such victory would completely undo us. The enemy new this and challenged us to a rematch on grounds of their choosing.

The team that came together for the war was not only lacking in firepower, but was also severely undermanned due to numerous no shows and last minute cancellations. Out of our little 6 man team we only had 2 CPS blasters – a 1200 and my 4100. Rounding out the team’s armament we had an XP 270, SC 400, and 2 Water Warriors Fireflies.

The battle would be a 2 flag CTF game, with flags at each team’s base. Victory would be secured when one team seized the other’s flag and brought it back to their own base. I decided to go out as aggressively as possible, sending 5 on offense with only Joel in reserve to guard the flag.

When the bull horn sounded we rushed across the field and into the wood line between the two bases. Since I had not been shown where the enemy team’s flag was, we’d have to search for it. The two most obvious choices were the abandoned trailer and the tobacco barn. We headed for the trailer first.

We walked straight into the perfect ambush. Briar thickets surrounded the old trailer, confining possible avenues of approach to a single winding path that led to the rickety front door. We were within point blank range of the windows when the front door swung open – or at least tried to. The hinges were so rusted and broken that whoever was inside actually had difficulty getting it open. In that extra second we realized what was happening. Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good.

The door flung open with a kick; almost hitting Eric, who was serving as our point man, in the face. Barrels instantly emerged from the windows and behind the door. I laid down fire with my 4100 at the nozzle poking around the open door. Eric was backed up against the trailer, with the open door right in front of him and a window behind him as we traded shots a mere foot or 2 in front of his face.

Fortunately the old rusty door had failed to open all the way, meaning its defender couldn’t see what he was shooting at. We had only taken one casualty as a result. Our 2 other teammates had backed down the path and were now lobbing balloons through the trailer’s broken windows. I was still caught in the open. The barrel emerged from behind the door again but this time Eric grabbed it, pointing it down to the ground and holding it in place, allowing me to turn the corner and soak its owner at point blank range. Paul and Garner took care of the other defenders, nailing them through the window. With the trailer now cleared and no sign of the enemy flag we ran straight for the barn.

We had no problem overwhelming the barn’s defenders as they were all lightly armed with piston blasters, liquidators, and hydroblades. Our 2 CPS blasters wrecked havoc on the opposing defense; but no matter defenders we hit, they kept coming back. The enemy team had placed their respawn zone around their flag. We soon got into a heated argument on the legality of this. Unfortunately, it proved to not be the onlything shady going on.

“How do you have 12 different flags at your base?”

I heard the voice of the enemy team’s commander.

“What? I don’t know.”

“There’s 12 different flags, and they all look the same. You can’t do that.”

We had left Joel, at 20, the oldest team member, and only member who was in college at the time, to guard the flag. You would think, if anyone, you could count on your “most mature player.” So much for that. Unbeknownst to the rest of the team, Joel had fashioned 11 other "flags" that looked identical and had scattered them around about every 10 feet or so into the woods from our starting point.

“Well your guys put your flag right in the middle of the respawn zone, it practically gives the defenders infinite lives.”

It was clear that passion and the will to win was certainly not lacking between the two teams, but it was also apparent that both teams had a few players that would do anything to win.

-------------------------------------------

Has anyone else run into a similar dilemma?
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

HBWW

Re: Vermin War 10 War Story Pt 1

Post by HBWW » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:16 pm

CQB "Stack up on the door!", always fun to play! Your wits will matter more than your blasters in such close quarters.

As for the cheaters, I could just imagine this happening:

"You have 12 different flags. I'll just pick this one, after all, the game is called 'capture the flag'. No plural. Did you pass 5th grade English?"
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:19 pm

lol I guess that is one way to handle it. I'm going to try to put together a map on January 4th once the library reopens (temporarily). Then the next installment should follow that shortly. My goal is to have battle maps for all major war stories by the end of next year. I know that would help people understand what's going on a lot better.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:53 pm

One time when we were playing CTF around my house, the other team was getting slaughtered and asked to move their flag really far out. This move actually gave them further advantages, allowing us access to two hoses and a place to spawn camp, so we accepted. In retrospect, I may have turned some people off water warfare this way.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:04 pm

Sounds like quite a heated battle! Where was it held? Also, how far apart were the bases? I guess the map would help answer that. And yeah, I would've just taken one of the flags and ran. It would've still been a capture.

It reminds me of Downpour '11 where DX hid our flag in a tree, haha. That was a good round.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:39 pm

I'll give you a correct answer when I'm done with the map, but I'm guessing our bases were about 1/3rd a mile apart. I didn't know where their base was, but I knew that it was on the other side of the woodline.

That CTF round from Downpour '11 is still one of my favorites ever.

*edit*
I found some aerial photos from a few months after the war and put together some battle maps from there. To answer your question SEAL, distance between bases is just under 1/3rd of a mile straight line distance. Of course, we didn't travel in a straight line.

Here's the main battle map. Red is our flag, blue is theirs.

Here's our movement to the trailer. I didn't draw up our movement across the field because that's self explanatory. The area around the trailer is mostly briars and bushes.

Here's our sprint to the barn, with the enemy offense finally coming back towards our offense (top right corner).

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:14 pm

Wow, that looks like an awesome battleground. I like places with large open fields (especially with tall grass!) because it adds new dynamics to the game. My local battlefield has large fields, though we usually just stick to the woods area because there aren't that many of us. I'd love to have a long round there sometime though; I think it has potential.
marauder wrote:That CTF round from Downpour '11 is still one of my favorites ever.
I think Downpour '11 is still my favorite war ever.

But anyway, I like reading the Vermin War stories. I think it's awesome that you got so many people to come out and fight. How did you do that? :p
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:31 am

I need to re-read VW9
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo: