How Often Did You Battle in 2013?

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.

How Many Rounds of Waterwarfare did You Play in 2013?

24%
No votes
5%
No votes
14%
5%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
5%
5%
No votes
No votes
5%
No votes
No votes
5%
19+
33%

Total votes: 21

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

How Often Did You Battle in 2013?

Post by marauder » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:23 am

How many battles did you fight? By battles, l mean from the start of the round to the end (when people stop shooting each other). You can battle multiple times a day.

Your best guess is ok if you can't remember an exact number. If you went to all 4 community wars (lucky you) then you are going to be selecting 19+.

I really want to find out how often our membership is battling. Please comment with your answer and your thoughts on your 2013 battles and if you'd like to battle more next year.

In the future this type of subject will most likely be placed in the League forum. The League is not a select group of members who get together at community wars, but any and all forum members who battle. Since there has been some confusion over what the League is, and what its goals are, I decided to place this topic here to get max exposure, and will probably wait to move it until 2014.

What can we do to encourage more watergun fights? What can you do?

Please comment, don't just vote
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Re: How Often Did You Battle in 2013?

Post by SEAL » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:27 am

I was one of the ones who went to all four wars, so I voted 19+, but if I hadn't it'd be maybe 5-10. Sometimes if I'm bored I'll get my brothers and go into the woods for a little 1HK, but after you've been to community wars, battles with 3 people just aren't much fun anymore. If we only had one more person who could fight regularly, maybe we'd do it more. I think that's what encourages water fights; you need enough interest. Unfortunately water wars are something that most people aren't interested in (at least at my age).

One of my goals in 2014 is to do more local wars. I have some ideas in mind for some cool battles, so I'll just have to get people out. Maybe DX and I (or any other member living nearby) can get a few things together as well. I'm going to have to learn to appreciate battles with as few as 4 people. Battles like this should be short and action-packed; forget about being hardcore or cutting throats in pursuit of a win, we'll just play to have a blast. My brothers and I had a series of duels around a hunting cabin once, and those battles were more intense than some community war rounds, so large numbers aren't entirely necessary. I also want to do more night wars, because they are almost always a lot of fun no matter how many people you have. I really should also buy some smaller primaries as well, so I can save the big expensive CPS blasters for serious wars.

So that's my plan. I'll hopefully start getting serious with it after my spring semester.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:58 am

Outside of all 4 community wars, I had three small events. First was a 1v1v1, and 2nd was a 2v2, and both ran for a few games (perhaps 2-5). On my third attempt at hosting event, no one showed up, which happened last year as well.

Not that it matters after an event like Frozen Fury, of course. Cliche as it is to say, FF was definitely the best water war I've been to so far.
forget about being hardcore or cutting throats in pursuit of a win
I keep hearing this word thrown around, but I seem to be the only one who thinks a water war can be "hardcore" simply by virtues of:
- Well-organized team games.
- Intense, high action rounds that require a lot of quick-thinking.
- Long periods of playtime, regardless of whether it's one continuous game or broken up into multiple rounds and/or phases.
- Challenging: Well balanced, but challenges each team member to do their best. As quoted on NerfHaven: "Winning rounds is rewarding, deal with it. We don't play **** patty cake over here." Now, knowing me, I'm probably the least victory-obsessed, "need-to-win" player around, but winning is a bit of a reward, and can be like a confirmation of skills; a demonstration that you did something right and rose above the challenges placed before you.

I agree on having more night wars.

Buzz Bee should have plenty of small primaries to go around, but a lot of them aren't being made. (DX did offer a trade of Colossi earlier this year lol.) Perhaps you'll find something suitable in 2013. I'd also like to revisit the light primaries definition thread sometime and make sure everyone's on the same page.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:36 pm

I probably battled more this year then any year previously. Overall outside of community wars, I think I had less battles (mainly due to how much I had fought at community wars already), but still battled more then some years. Counting my Aunts B-day party, the rounds at my Uncles farm on July 4th, and at least two small local wars, I'd say I fought 10-15 rounds not including the community wars. In years past, my Birthday party often held a large percentage of my battles for the year, I didn't even have it this year and due to all the community wars this is my most active year ever!

As great as this year was, next year will probably be even better. Since my local war, Soakemore is so laid back, I have decided to try and invite all my friends who are into water wars. Last year I left some of my younger friends and cousins out, considering how Frozen Fury went this year, I really don't think inviting them would be a problem (the youngest will be about 11 and 1/2 by the time the war comes around). If every one shows up, I will have 8 people not even counting the what ever community members come. The only potential problem is that some of my local friends might end up having to use Vindicators in the anything goes rounds since I don't have enough big blasters to go around, but if we make sure the teams are well balanced that shouldn't be a problem.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:21 pm

I haven't been playing many wars. Too busy with school. :(

Belisaurius

Post by Belisaurius » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:09 pm

I didn't make it to any this year.

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:34 pm

Not attending any wars didn't stop me from having to guess because I had lost count, it may be 19+ but I lost count months ago and 15 is a safe asumtion
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:00 pm

I went to 2 wars, dueled Duxburian, dueled the Oncoming Storm, and had about 4-5 fights (the good kind) with my new bride. All together, if I had to guess, that'd probably come out to about 50 different battles. With that being said, a lot of those rounds occurred on the same days, so I probably ended up only fighting 12-13 days this year. I still think that's pretty good, but I definitely battled more frequently than that from 2005 on back; but this was probably all in all the most fighting I've done in 8 years, which is great.

The crazy thing is that 50 rounds is nothing compared to the amount CA99, DX, SEAL, Scott, and maybe even Drenchenator did this year.

iSoaker needs to answer this thread.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:06 am

I do? Well, depending on how you want to define a battle, my answer would be either really low or really high. Most of my water wars are either duels or small free-for-alls with the occasional larger group event if I manage to get enough people together. If we're just talking casual dueling, 19+ would be easy. However, if you want to know how many truly organized battles wherein I gathered people together to actually have a water fight was, I'd probably say only about 3-5. Of course, if you want to count the days I actually use a water blaster (though not in the battling sense), I could probably pass a hundred with ease. :goofy:

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:37 am

CA99 wrote: I keep hearing this word thrown around, but I seem to be the only one who thinks a water war can be "hardcore" simply by virtues of:
- Well-organized team games.
- Intense, high action rounds that require a lot of quick-thinking.
- Long periods of playtime, regardless of whether it's one continuous game or broken up into multiple rounds and/or phases.
- Challenging: Well balanced, but challenges each team member to do their best. As quoted on NerfHaven: "Winning rounds is rewarding, deal with it. We don't play **** patty cake over here." Now, knowing me, I'm probably the least victory-obsessed, "need-to-win" player around, but winning is a bit of a reward, and can be like a confirmation of skills; a demonstration that you did something right and rose above the challenges placed before you.
In a sense, someone who's "hardcore" is simply a person who will stop at nothing to defeat the opposition and claim a win for the team. Any advantage is welcome, and they will use every tool and every trick at their disposal. I (and perhaps others) usually refer to hardcore wars as long-distance, 2+ hour rounds, simply because, well, you have to be pretty hardcore to play them. They require you to be physically and mentally strong. You need to be patient enough to sit in an ambush position for an hour (if needed), and fit enough to run long distances non-stop just to catch the enemy in a bad place. Not for pussies, in other words. I personally love these kinds of rounds more than any other kind, but they need to be set up well, which is more challenging than setting up a shorter round.

I find it funny that 0 has the second-highest amount of votes. I would guess that it goes back to not having enough local interest. Does anyone else plan to try and fight more next year?
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:21 am

isoaker wrote:I do? Well, depending on how you want to define a battle, my answer would be either really low or really high. Most of my water wars are either duels or small free-for-alls with the occasional larger group event if I manage to get enough people together. If we're just talking casual dueling, 19+ would be easy. However, if you want to know how many truly organized battles wherein I gathered people together to actually have a water fight was, I'd probably say only about 3-5. Of course, if you want to count the days I actually use a water blaster (though not in the battling sense), I could probably pass a hundred with ease. :goofy:

:cool:
Anything involving more than 1 person and waterguns is a battle, so long as you are shooting at each other and not watering plants. Some of my fights were just using storm pistols at the pool. We would jump into the deep in and take turns shooting at the person jumping in, or we'd stalk each other in the lazy river trying to set up ambushes. Those types of watergun fights are a lot of fun.

It's good to see so many people getting to fight often.