Ontario Water Warriors - Let's all meet up (sometime)

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
steelboot..

Ontario Water Warriors - Let's all meet up (sometime)

Post by steelboot.. » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:30 pm

Anyone live in Ontario?
2008 - 2010
2013 -

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Re: Ontario Water Warriors - Let's all meet up (sometime)

Post by SEAL » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:19 pm

I'm close enough, and I'm willing to get a passport if there is enough interest... I think there were quite a few members from there on here in the past, but I don't think many of 'em are active anymore.

I recommend finding a good park or something to fight at, preferably with plenty of cover/concealment and a good staging area (you don't want to walk 2 miles into the woods with heavy water guns to find a good place to fight). I've hosted three events like this so feel free to ask me for any advice if you have questions.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:51 pm

I want to gather everyone to MI eventually too, but know I can't put up much of an event in the meantime. Ontario's pretty far out, even for the northmost in our group: me. I'd doubt others currently active in League events will go out that far too.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

steelboot..

Post by steelboot.. » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:29 pm

@SEAL I suppose we'll just have to wait and see if there's any interest...
@CA99 Hey man, it's been a while! Good to see you're still here. I'm open to the idea of coming to MI, but would others be?
2008 - 2010
2013 -

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:45 pm

Maybe we should just all meet up in NY =P
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:54 pm

We should have two large events next year in the NYC and DC areas, like we mentioned before. I'm willing to drive to Ontario or MI, but I don't know how many other people would. NYC and DC seem to be the most convenient locations.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

steelboot..

Post by steelboot.. » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:09 pm

Down for NY. DC is also great but NY preferred.
2008 - 2010
2013 -

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:54 pm

MI is currently closed for community events, pending demand for said event. I can't get my parents to allow the whole crew to crash at my place, and I'm saving money before I move out to my own. To me, it's not right being a war host and not providing a place to stay after intensive water warfare; this has been the standard established by other community hosts, and is one I'm holding myself up to.

That said, I'd certainly be up for battle, but I don't know anyone non-community friends who would also be at this time of the year.

Anyways, you missed Downpour (NY) last July. Should've hopped back out of inactivity a few months ago. :goofy:
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

steelboot..

Post by steelboot.. » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:59 pm

AHHHHHH no way! Darn, would have loved to have been there! How was the turnout?
2008 - 2010
2013 -

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:34 pm

3v3, disappointing by past standards. But we had a blast anyway, or at least I sure as hell did. Got to climb cliffs and shoot around a wooden playground kid-sized train play structure and play some HTL over dirt mounds. And of course, also got to know the fellow warriors a bit better as I do every community war.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:50 pm

Soakermore was very successful, so I think that should count as the DC meetup. Currently it is highly unlikely that I make that until I graduate and move somewhere much more reasonable. The other event could be anywhere in the tri-state area. NYC is great in theory since it makes it much more likely for people like poseidon, wetmonkey, and linwarrior to be able to make it. We could also advertise a great deal in the city before actually doing it (there are pros and cons to this). With that being said, we'd also have to consider would it be worth having a war in NYC if Andrew (wetmonkey) or other local members still don't make it? Would it be worth advertising if we get a bunch, or even a few, weird people show up? I think these are things we need to look into more before deciding to host in the immediate NYC area. If the answer is no then I think we'd be better off having the war closer to Rob's or the Spangs' again. I am much more likely to make a war in the tristate area because I can couple the expense with being able to visit family.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

DX

Post by DX » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:09 am

With that being said, we'd also have to consider would it be worth having a war in NYC if Andrew (wetmonkey) or other local members still don't make it?
Yes. The City actually has incredible natural terrain and unique opportunities for "urban" warfare. The west side of Manhattan is full of parks that jut out into the Hudson, with great views. Northern Manhattan has height advantage, brownstone walls, small buildings, etc. The Bronx is more like the southern New England terrain that you've fought in. I'm not as familiar with the other boroughs.

The real issue is finding a place deserted enough to enjoy more hardcore battles...that and PARKING lol. I'm not sure about advertising the event in the City. That would probably generate large turnout, and everything that goes with it - permits, police attention, weirdos, etc.

I loved Soakemore and definitely would go again. That covers DC. I still really want to have a Ridgewood, NJ war and try the long 8-10 hour round there. That means that Sam should hit the treadmill, cause that is maneuver warfare at its finest. It was possible to cover 20 miles there in a 3 hour war, so picture a 10 hour war? And of course, there will be Frozen Fury. It was originally a war of opportunity since Ben comes up anyway, but I'll keep hosting it if people keep coming in December, haha.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:12 am

I would only be able to make Ridgewood if I was staying in CT for about a week. I really can't wait to graduate. We are definitely going to be moving some place much closer.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:44 pm

Just going to say, I don't think public advertising is a good idea at all. While only having six people is certainly not preferable, I definitely believe in quality over quantity when it comes to water wars. You want people who know exactly what we're doing and are cool with doing it. You don't want to invite some random people who think they're there for one of those mass soakfest things, and get thrown into a full-blown hardcore battle. And of course there'll probably be weirdos, as you guys mentioned. I wouldn't actually want to have a war in NYC/DC either; I meant in the general area. Maybe it's just because I'm a born hillbilly, but I really do not like big cities. (traffic, parking, chance of getting mugged, etc.)
~Hotel Oscar Golf~