Frozen Fury 2013, NY/CT Epic Fall Water War

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
DX

Frozen Fury 2013, NY/CT Epic Fall Water War

Post by DX » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Date: December 7th-8th
Arrival: Friday, December 6th
Full battle days: Saturday, December 7th and Sunday, December 8th
Departure: Whenever you want

Playing Areas:

Day 1:
Factory Park
2700 Reservoir Road
Larami, NY

Secondary/Backup:
Moria
666 Underground Hwy
Scottsbane, NY

Day 2:
Northgate
650 Ruins Road
Highlands, NY

Backup:
Paine Open Space [Map Link]
222 Maple Road
Easton, CT 06612

Confirmed Participants (10):

Rivalry is on!

Blue Team (CTF, Outpost)
Rob (Duxburian)
Ben (Marauder)
Andrew (Wetmonkey)
Sam (CA99)
One of Ben's nephews (on rotation)

Orange Team (CTF, Outpost)
Brandon (SEAL)
Keith (Chief)
Scott (Scotthewaterwarrior)
Bailey
One of Ben's nephews (on rotation)

Maybe (2+):
Jonna
Jon (Ambush)
Seal's homies

Scratched/Maybe next time (3):
Andrew (Drenchenator)
Nick (Belisaurius)
Bela

Invited ():
Anyone I missed
Any other friends you want to bring along

Rules: Link to be posted soon

Local Rule Notes:
Centennial Watershed State Forest (marked with standard yellow blazes) is Off limits

For "Light Primary" rounds or restrictions, allowed guns are:
XP 110, XP 150, XP 270, XP 310, Colossus/2, Python/2, Ult/Vanquisher, Equalizer, Max-D 6000, etc. and below. No CPS or large AP guns.

Tentative Schedule *Subject to change, check back often

Friday:
Any time: Arrival and war preparation
Night rounds if desired.
Players may spend the night at DX's house if needed (beds: 4, floor space: 9+)

Saturday:

Meet at "Parking Lot A" at 9 AM. Location will be provided by PM.

When everyone is there, we will drive to "Parking Lot B". Location will be provided by PM.

Bring only what you absolutely need - no more than 2 primaries. Bring enough water to cover at least 5-6 rounds. These rounds require special refilling rules: No refills from outside the factory and none in the middle of a round. If you run out of water during a round, you're out until the next round.

At the Factory:

Round 1: 2 Flag CTF (East vs West RIvalry!)
9:30 start, 20 min time limit, team score only
1 flag in the East Warehouse, lower level
1 flag in the West Warehouse, lower level
If uneven teams, West gets the extra player as they have one more entrance to cover.

Round 2: CTF Rematch (Switch sides RIvalry!)
10:00 start, 20 min time limit, team score only
Note that Ben's nephews are attached to a side and not to a team. They will defend the same sides twice for CTF, then switch and defend the other sides twice for Outpost.

Round 3: 5 Base Outpost ( RIvalry!)
10:30 start, 30 min time limit, team score only
Bases marked by PVC sticks on bell reducers, each end of the stick has a different team color on it.

1 stick in the East Warehouse, upper level
1 stick in the East Warehouse, lower level
1 stick on the Central Courtyard Platform
1 stick in the West Warehouse, upper level
1 stick in the West Warehouse, lower level

The team with the most bases at the end of time wins (one team possessing every base does not end the round by itself).

Bases start out "neutral" and may be captured in any order.

To capture a base, flip the stick so your team's color is showing. There is no "assimilation" time. If you are hit while the stick is out, the base becomes neutral, respawn and leave the stick on the ground.

Infinite lives, but you can only respawn at a base your team controls. If you have no bases and are hit, you cannot respawn until a surviving teammate captures a base. If a team possesses every base and eliminates every member of the other team, they win immediately.

Round 4: Outpost Rematch (Switch sides RIvalry!
11:15 start, 30 min time limit, team score only

Round 5: Protect the VIP (RIvalry!)
12:00 start, 30min/1 hour time limit, team score only
Ben's nephews are the VIPs for each team. Everyone has unlimited lives except the VIPs, who have 1 life. If your VIP gets shot, you lose immediately. If neither VIP has been eliminated in an hour, it becomes sudden death for everyone.

If VIP ends quickly:
Round 6: Regular OHS (RIvalry!)
~12:30ish start, runs until all water is exhausted or 30 min, whichever comes first
Unlimited Lives, but they count.

Leave Factory at 1:00

Drive to secondary site

Lunch at 1:30

At the secondary site:

Round 7: Uncapped OHS (maybe Rivalry)

Normal OHS, but everyone starts with their guns empty. Main primaries, long round.
2:00 start, 1 hour time limit, unlimited lives, but they count

Round 8: Friendly OHS
2:15 start, 1 hour time limit, team score only
If you get hit, you switch teams after respawning. Unlimited switches are possible. Ends with elimination of one team. If both teams still exist after 1 hour, it becomes sudden death for everyone.

Round 9: Juggernaut OHS/OHK mix
3:30 start, 1 hour time limit
Everyone plays OHS (light primaries), but if you get hit by a juggernaut (main primaries), you are eliminated from the round. Ben's nephews are the juggernauts.

4:30 End of Day due to sunset

Sunday:

At Northgate

Round 10: Regular OHS (Rivalry)

This round is mainly so that players can get a feel for the abandoned estate and see where things are.

Round 11: 7 Base Outpost

2 sticks in the mansion
1 stick in the greenhouse
2 sticks in the middle buildings
1 stick in the side shed
1 stick in the tunnel building

Same rules as Saturday's Outpost rounds.

Refill Break

Round 12: Outpost Rematch (Switch sides)

Round 13: Offense-Defense: 2v2v2v...x OHK around the abandoned estate. Each pair has a veteran and a newer player, the veteran uses a light primary and the newer player uses a main primary. Ends with elimination.

At the secondary set of buildings:

Round 14: 2 Flag CTF

1 Flag at the Barn
1 Flag at the Foundry

Round 15: CTF Rematch (Switch sides)

Refill Break

Round 16: Barn Siege (HTL)

Defend the barn. Defenders have light primaries, attackers have anything goes.

Round 17: Siege Rematch (Switch sides)

Refill Break

Round 18: Lottery OHS (maybe Rivalry)

Normal OHS, but each player draws from a hat to see if they get a light primary, a medium primary, or anything goes. Then they flip a coin to see if they start the round loaded or empty. Team starting positions are at the barn and foundry. Long round.

End of day

Monday: Rounds if desired.

15-17 total rounds are planned, not counting night rounds and Monday rounds.

Overnight Accommodations:
This is a 2 full day war. You do not need to stay for the whole time. If you are, you are welcome to sleepover at my upstairs "barn" room. It is a home office with insulation, heat, power, and Wifi.

Packing List:
Sleeping bag
Sleeping pad
Pillow
Toiletries
Flashlight
Food
Drinks
Light primaries
Medium primaries
Main primaries
Water bottles
Guns to trade/sell
Tools/parts for repairs/mods
Money if we go out to eat
Changes of clothes
Jacket/warm clothes
Hat/gloves

If you need a real bed, I have 2 in my room, 1 in my sister's room, and a pullout. Else, the closest hotels are:

Best Western
100 Kings Highway Cutoff
Fairfield
(203) 659-2200

Trumbull Marriott
180 Hawley Lane
Trumbull
(203) 378-1400
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Frozen Fury 2013, CT Fall Water War

Post by HBWW » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:22 am

Do let us know if the abandoned structures at LBW are still around once that fee season is out. =p

Did a hijack-edit to your post to add some bolded text that I think should be there. I got confused this morning and didn't see the "Invited" subheader. =p

The games list is pretty great actually. I remember not too long ago, you mentioned having only interest in OHK, OHS, and CTF, but this new list really does not disappoint. I like the juggernaut idea as well as the HTL game that's brutal on the defenders. Friendly OHS looks fun too. Good, simple rules for all games, but mixed up enough to keep variety in everything.

I'll talk to Trevor again and see if he's interested. It'll be unlikely, but don't know for sure.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:12 pm

That schedule actually looks top notch. My one complaint is that I don't know where the pictures in your logo came from! Where are they stored online?
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

atvan

Post by atvan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:57 pm

I am surprised I never noticed how bad the abbreviation for Paine Open Space is.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:49 pm

Yeah, I like the planned games too. I will have to find out when I'm available before I put anything down on the calendar. I'm not sure how many people I'd be bringing if I do come.

I'll definitely get back when I find out what's up. I am not going to disappear at the last second and ignore all inquiring messages.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:14 pm

I thought that I could go on the last weekend of November until I received the syllabus for my last class. I still may be able to if it's the only option that works for everyone else.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:19 pm

Some of the pics came from video footage, of which I still need to edit together into promo vids. Eh, oh well.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:21 pm

So at my school the last day of finals is December 18th. I will likely be very busy in those last few weeks, so none of the dates on the calender would really work for me. Perhaps I could come for like a day, but if you want me to stay for the whole thing you'll have to move it forward, like to the 20th-22nd.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:05 pm

I have nothing planned at all that's upcoming, so I'm available any weekend. (Or even during weekdays. Work is super-flexible.) I can make it anytime during the holiday season and even on New Year's eve, although I don't expect friendly levels of traffic to/from the airport, nor reasonable fares. (However, the latter can be mitigated by getting this done earlier.)

Who's giving me a ride? Pick a preferred airport, plz.

I'd suggest rescheduling for SEAL if possible for everyone else, or at least expanding the Doodle calendar. Would really like to get this rivalry going again; It's fun, and the competition is a great motivator =p. Plus it's fun to taunt by making funny faces. However, both teams need to be on reasonable numbers for the rivalry to be worth it.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:33 pm

I could probably do the 20th through 22nd, but I thought Rob said that would be too late for him. Not sure.

DX

Post by DX » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:56 pm

I am talking with my extended family about that 20th-22nd weekend. I know my uncle wanted to celebrate Christmas that weekend because much of the family can't actually come out on the 25th for whatever reasons. It needs to be a weekend because UPS - that is the busiest time of the year and I have less free time. It might be stretchable to a Thursday, I dunno this far in advance. I'd much rather push the war earlier than push it later, unless I get a favorable reply about Christmas being moved.

Edit: 90% chance that the 21st is unworkable. Seal, would you be able to do weekdays? I could take days off for the 19th-20th, with arrival on the night of the 18th.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:40 pm

After finals, I'll be free pretty much all the time, so the 18th-20th will work for me. Of course, I'll have to find time to fix my primaries... :roll:
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:52 am

The 18th-20th works for me, but I'm not so sure about my dad. I am out of school by then, but my dad will still have work. I'm not sure how keen he would be about missing three days as I doubt I could make the drive myself (my limit is about 2 hours of driving out of every 4). If someone else local came (such as Drenchinator), I could share the driving with them, although at Downpour it seemed Drench's work was less flexible then my dads. I will have to ask my dad if he'd be OK with missing work for three days.

I will also talk to Bela about coming, though I doubt his parents will let him. They don't seem to understand the concept of having a water battle but not actually getting wet (or wearing 3+ layers if it is cold).
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

DX

Post by DX » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:22 am

You could just not tell them that it's a water war :) Also, I'd like to try to get in the full schedule for the 20th because obviously I have no idea what the weather is going to do. Leaving on the morning of the 21st is best (it's the Saturday) because then we can switch the playlist depending on which full day has better weather.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:51 am

I did some thinking and I have some ideas for the hardcore day when marauder's nephews aren't there.

Okay, so we want more playing time and less down time, right? (I know I do.) Right, so why not devote the entire day to fighting? The whole day will be one huge round; if you want to take breaks, go ahead, but you will be subject to attack at any time. It could start at 8AM and end at 8PM. 12 hours of madness. I've been wanting to do something like that for a long time, and I think that Paine Open Space would work well for it considering our numbers. It's not gigantic for ~10 people, but it's big enough to fight all day in without things getting old.

So what do you think? I personally like the idea, though I think I'd only want to do it if we have enough people to make it a rivalry round. I don't know about the rest of you, but for me, a round like that has to be a rivalry round.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:56 am

If I was coming (sadly I'm not) I would go with Seal and make it a 12 hour rivalry round
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:31 am

Hmmm. If we do this then Sam has to promise to work out every day until the big battle!!!!! I'm not one to shy away from a big fight.

DX

Post by DX » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:24 am

PRIVATE YAO, GET YO' ASS IN HERE! DROP AND GIVE ME 50! DIAMOND STYLE!

If we do an all-day round, note that we "have" to be out of Paine by civil twilight (half hour after sunset), which in mid/late December means like 4:30. We could get about 8 hours in. This thing is being held only a couple days before the winter solstice, aka the shortest daylight of the year.

Also, I'm thinking it would need to be like a huge CTF in order to keep it interesting (as you saw, there is nowhere to sneak around in the winter, all the plants are gone). Instead of a few flags between bases, there would be flags placed all over the park, like 50 of them. Someone from the SEALs would need to help me place them on Wednesday so your team knows where they are. Also to keep it more interesting, the team bases would be in totally undefendable places with no immediate water source. You'd need to either make defenses or station defenders nearby.

I'm not sure how worth it an ~8 hour round would be. It's a bit of a risk...if the round is a bust, much, most, or all of that day is gone. Hence, CTF. With 3 full days instead of 2, I'd green light this right now.

But, I don't think we have time to use 3 full days...cause Seal doesn't get out of classes until the 18th, and my family is doing Christmas on the afternoon/evening of the 21st. I'd love to have 3 full days to work with, but it would need to come from Wednesday and not Saturday.

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:27 am

Basically we are looking at Rob, me, Sam vs Brandon, John, Keith, probably Scott? I would like to include Andrew, Andrew, Nick, and others, but it doesn't look like anyone else is for sure yet. Good thing we still have 2 more months.

Full capture the flag works for me. What if instead of defending our bases we got to carry the flags around, and whenever one of our players got hit we had to drop a flag? I'm just thinking that eventually all the flags will get taken up and then it will end up in the team with the least flags besieging the team with the most flags until they are either over run or run out of water. Then the tides would change and it'd go back and forth like that. I'd rather be moving about all day than going back and forth between bases for probably 4 out of 6 hours.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:09 pm

At this point I'm not sure how many people I'll be bringing. I'll probably have as few as 2 and as many as 4. I'm fine with fighting with 3, if that's the minimum that will be on your side. I'd rather not do it if either team is outnumbered by a vast amount (like 2 to 1), because that isn't much fun.

I don't know if I like the idea of CTF either. Like marauder said, there'd probably be too much siege warfare for my liking. I prefer not to be tethered to a fixed location because that tends to result in "Mexican standoffs" between teams. There isn't anywhere to sneak around in some places, but I remember plenty of other areas with evergreens and plenty of concealment. I don't know how well 50-flag CTF would work with 6 people (assuming the worst) anyway. But hey, there's plenty of time to think about it. My opinion is to just do 1HS, but if DX really doesn't want to, we could throw around other ideas.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~