Frozen Fury 2013, NY/CT Epic Fall Water War

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Frozen Fury 2013, NY/CT Epic Fall Water War

Post by marauder » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:36 pm

Are you getting any snow from this big storm? It's awful down here. Low 40s and rainy. Probably the worst type of (normal) weather out there.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

DX

Post by DX » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:56 pm

It decided to take the continental track rather than the offshore track, which means heavy rain and wind, but no snow here. Only normal weather worse than low 40s and rain is 35-38 and rain, which will be overnight :p The good thing is that all the rain will refill the water sources, which have been flowing very low due to almost no precipitation in the past several months.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:25 pm

After looking at the schedule again, I do not see how you guys can pull off 6 rounds at the factory before lunch time, even if they're only 20 minutes in length (and some of them look like they will take longer). We'd have to start quite early, and there would have to be no down-time between rounds other than the necessary refilling. Someone suggested bringing a bunch of filled water bottles in; I think this is a great idea. Everyone bring backpacks! (I don't think we'd be easily mistaken for stoners.)

I should know how many people I'm bringing by next week. Depending on who I bring, I will either stay overnight from Friday night to Sunday afternoon, or just drive down on Saturday and Sunday, going home at night (once again, I'll know in a few days). The following week I will be free every day except Monday and Thursday. We absolutely have to get together again during the week. We can either fight some more at new locations, or perhaps explore some more abandoned ruins. I'll be a hell of a lot more fun than going thrifting...

This thing is only 10 days away. Better start planning if you haven't already. Edit: Oh, should I bring my WBL?
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:20 pm

Sounds like a plan. We can mix things up during the week and try out different playing areas, games, etc. or even nerf depending on others' interest and how much loaner equipment DX will have.

Plus, paintball pouch harnesses (pack of 3) just came in today. They are perfect for holding .5L bottles and water balloon containers.

Edit:

@SEAL: Your Douchenator isn't even cemented with primer. I wouldn't even consider using it in cold weather. For any WBL, if I used it in 35-45 degree weather, I'd keep it to 40 PSI at most.

Also, there's a Nerf war going on the Saturday after FF. Dec 14th, perhaps 10AM-4PM. Should be plenty of loaner equipment and darts available by then. Anyone staying a while or living nearby can join. Location is Saxon Woods Park in Mamaroneck, NY. There's about 4-6 players confirmed so far.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

marauder

Post by marauder » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:22 pm

SEAL, don't bring your WBL. I love WBLs, but due to a combination of cold weather, hiking in, and needing to make max use of the time we have I wouldn't bother bringing it.

I'm not going to be bringing a ton of empty water bottles on the plane, but for those of you who are driving please do. I will see if I can bring a backpack.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:44 pm

I may only be able to pack two or three half-liter bottles. Hopefully they don't slow me down in combat this time. The paintball pod harness looks hell of a lot better than those fanny packs though, although I probably should've looked for and invested in better ones that don't bounce around as much.

Edit: Just found a better pod harness than the one I bought. http://www.amazon.com/Valken-Harness-Ha ... _pr_sims_t

Can hold 2L worth of bottles all spread out, and is more tactical than having to reach for a backpack.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:37 pm

Saturday planning is going to be tight. I'm chatting with DX right now and I think this is how things are going.

- 5 rounds in the factory. 2 CTF, 2 Outpost, 1 VIP.
- Everyone brings in all the stuff they'll need for these games. There will be a staging area where each team can leave extra water that they don't want to carry in combat. NO valuables ever go in staging, period. Leave nothing but big water containers there; they're not interesting for theft.
- Access to staging area happens between rounds. No one may leave factory, everyone refills from sources other than what they brought in between rounds.
- In staging area, each person's cache belongs to them. It is their choice to share their water with others.
- If you run out of water before all games end, and no one is willing to share, you become referee and/or camera-man.

Anyway, DX, feel free to correct this and even use your mod powers to edit this post accordingly.

Now, I have loadout plans for the factory, although not final yet. What I do know I will be able to get everything ready and carry it into the factory so as to spend no preparation time, but with one exception: Overloading. That may be the only preparation I do when we get in, which can quickly be done while setting up objectives. I may bring an extra, dedicated .5L bottle just for this purpose.

So, Saturday. Rise and shine, then gear-up! It is up to drivers to enforce rules on carrying pressurized blasters, exposed water balloons, etc. in their cars. Any water balloons I prepare will be safe in a pouch, although any bursts could leak. If I use water balloons, I will only fill them before arriving, or during/between games. (They will NOT take any time between rounds and I expect no time extension between rounds for them. These are just personal balloons, not a WBL cache.) I may just skip out on them completely for practical reasons, but I'm really curious on how they'll do in close quarters.

Edit: Looks like I've found the music I need for editing together the FF footage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bTtFJC0hb0
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:07 pm

Hey Sam, just to clarify, you are not using your smart phone as a cam, but you are still using your GoPro? Those pods you are looking at are pretty sweet. I am going to try to complete my PPB backpack design over the next 3 days. It should be the kind of efficiency needed for Saturday's fighting.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:15 am

What gun restrictions are there going to be for the specific rounds, primarily for the factory? From the PMs marauder has been sending, it sounds like my 1500 is out, but is it going to be Air Pressure only, or just light CPS?
And I'm still trying to deter man if Bela is coming or not. I think his parents are letting him, but he's not sure if he wants to have a water war in 40 degrees or not. I'm going to tell him he has till Wednesday to make up his mind, because I don't want him to let me know last minute.

Uhg, and I hate my teacher. It wasn't listed on the syllabus but it turns out my final is on Tuesday the day after I get back! I've been studding like mad which is why I haven't been on the board much lately.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:58 am

I will use my smartphone as a camera if I'm not in combat, but we're not playing any OHK rounds so that's not likely.

No restrictions for the factory as far as I'm aware, except for the obvious such as no Douchenators or other high-preparation homemades. Basically, your loadout can't slow things down between rounds and must be all carry-able by you. Staging areas are for water containers only; leave blasters there at your own risk. Check the big post DX made on restrictions. There's a light-primaries rule for Juggernaut, where Ben's nephews get heavies.

Dress up in a PVC rain suit like I did, and you'll be warm in 40 degrees weather. (And you won't feel hits either. =p) Wear lots of layers underneath too.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

DX

Post by DX » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:11 am

There are no gun restrictions at the factory, within reason. Don't use WBLs, water cannons, etc. However, the refill rules are going to be that you can only use what you carry in, or what your team shares, and you can only refill between rounds. If it becomes clear that no one is going to make it through all 5-6 planned rounds, a small, designated group can leave to bring back more water for everyone, but this is a last resort. I do not want people coming and going to refill and increasing the odds of being seen, or doing something stupid.

There will be a staging area for the extra water. Anything you put there is out of play, it can't be stolen by the other team. If you bring water to cache in play, that water is fair game for anyone to take if they gain control of the area. There will be 2 games of CTF lasting 20 min, 2 games of Outpost lasting 30 min, and at least one game of VIP lasting until one of the VIPs gets hit. Additional rounds in the factory would be on a do-we-have-water-or-time basis. With that in mind, bring a primary that you know will last and that you'll be able to carry in enough water to support. If you can handle lugging in 2 primaries, then you can do so and store one out of play. The factory requires getting in and getting out cleanly and quickly, so I don't want people carrying anything beyond what they really need.

No other parts of the war will have these restrictions, it's only for the factory. A few rounds elsewhere may have light primaries only, and one round involving teams of 2 will make the more experienced fighters use light primaries. "Light" primaries go up to about the XP 150 / Colossus / Python 2 / Vanquisher level. I don't plan on doing XP-only, BBT-only, or AP-only rounds.

Not going to lie, Sunday is going to start frigid and Saturday may start chilly. This is why there is so much CTF and Outpost early on, those games are intense and will warm everyone up.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:57 am

Scott, I have extra extreme cold/wet weather gear that Bela can use. Please tell him and I'll bring it. I got a lot of waterproof/thermal arctic expedition type clothing for Christmas before I went overseas. Please tell him and let me know what he says so I know if I should bring it or not.

I'm not sure what I'll be using for a light primary. I guess I could use one of the boys' WWF guns while they switch out for bigger blasters.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:15 pm

We need to make up a schedule for the whole week. So far we have Frozen Fury on the weekend, and this Nerf war on the following weekend. Now I know that DX and CA99 were going to go to NYC and do other things; I suggest that you do that stuff on either Monday or Thursday, as I will not be available then. For the days I am available, we need to make up a plan. There are three open days for me (Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday). The main things I would like to do are fight at the cement plant area that we explored a couple weeks ago, and I'd also like to explore this one place (PM me or DX for details), although we can't really fight there. So that fills up two of my available days (I don't want to fill up all three, as I need to study). Tuesday and Friday will be preferred. Let me know what you guys think.

Updates: My cousin said that he might come, though he doesn't know which day(s). He really wants to explore that one place, but he's not so much into water wars, so we'll see for FF. I asked a friend of mine at school today, but she's pretty busy studying for finals (like me, though I'm coming anyway because I'm obsessed with water wars... see this is why I wanted to push the date back), so her attendance status is "unlikely" (she said she might join us the following week though). I also fired Bailey a message, but I have yet to hear back. Let's see, who else... I guess I can ask my neighbor and childhood friend, but he'll probably also be busy with finals. I don't think anybody else I know would come.

Looks like you guys picked the absolute worst date for me, haha.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:36 pm

Wasn't my fault. I specified open availability before this all got scheduled. =p

As for what we do during the week, I'm open to whatever.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:30 pm

Bela finally got back to me, he's not coming. He says he doesn't feel like going somewhere far away this weekend. Kind of a stupid reason, but this is the guy who doesn't like TV shows if they don't have a good theme song.
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:03 pm

Far away? Heh, at least it's not a 10 hour drive for you guys. (Which I may actually start to attempt next summer instead of flying.)

Also, are you going to get on Skype someday? lol.

Anyway, hopefully next year's FF doesn't happen when half the CM-SEALs team are taking finals.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:39 pm

Scott, you have so many good quotes.

@SAM, I have had problems with Skype in the past, so we use AIM. I know it's totally archaic, but it works. I think we can do video chat on AIM too. I have tried several versions of Skype, but they crash for some reason.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:04 pm

That was directed at Scott, who's never online to chat lol. Anyway, AIM is nice because you don't have to download a client anymore, though it still works with Pidgin.

Agreed on the quotes; I love the lawnmower one.

Edit: As discussed in chatrooms, the rivalry is ON! I'll let DX fill in the details.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:11 pm

CA99 wrote: Agreed on the quotes; I love the lawnmower one.
Yes, that came from the time I took him for a weekend at my Uncles farm (really just a vacation spot that used to be a farm). I let him drive my car around the dirt roads as they are very seldom used by other people. When we got back he drove the ride on mower, and decided he liked that better.
"A lawn mower is like a car, only much slower and with a giant spinning blade of death on the bottom." - Bela <- he really has some good quotes! :lol:

I've actually thought about holding a war at the farm, my Uncle doesn't live there, so its a pretty nice spot to hang out. The woods seem pretty thick with underbrush though, but I've never explored that deep into them. when I'm out there next spring I will try and find a clear way in and explore more. Ether way just the "farm areas" a very nice for water wars, CA99 would love it as there are lots of outbuildings and even some old cars to hide behind. Unless I find a really great spot in the woods nearby, I will probably just stick with the current locations for Soakemore though (plus I'd have to change the name!) :goofy:

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:43 am

Always up for exploring new places. A far could be very interesting if all points of cover connect continuously. If there's too much open field, we can always bring out the Douchenators for an HTL variant. =p

Too busy to Skype I take it?

Heh, forgot to do the laundry today. Oh well, tomorrow morning.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare