Frozen Fury 2013, NY/CT Epic Fall Water War

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
DX

Re: Frozen Fury 2013, CT Fall Water War

Post by DX » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:00 pm

I'm not concerned about Tony and Danny falling or hurting themselves. They handled the LBW theater, so they can handle anything. What I am most concerned about is possible encounters with weird people, including homeless. There was a murder in that area about 7 years ago when one homeless person killed another. Granted, that was a long time ago, but I still want to be careful. We cannot assume that we are the only ones there. If we bring the nephews, it is a risk.

There is a wooded area to fight in about 5 min walk from the factory. It has a clean creek and a large waterfall. It is the backup location in case we cant get in or something else is wrong.

There should be a place to refill down a branch of the path that we didnt take, near where the boardwalk ends. The creek there is still clean. However, again, it is a PITA to go in and out of the factory. I also want to minimize trips in and out, and equipment swaps. 2000s will not be banned, but I will not be using anything larger than a 1000/1200/2100 there personally. Plan to bring a single blaster, maybe a backpack with enough water for a refill. No uneeded gear, no water balloons, no pistols unless in the backpack. The factory time needs to be used well, we need to get in/out quickly, and draw no attention to ourselves. That also means no camo, and unpainted soakers are preferred.

If we use the wooded park, these rules do not apply, as it is legal and right next to the parking lot and refilling area.

The factory and LBW are too much for one day in Dec. There is not enough daylight for the driving and walking and then fighting. Paine is still the default location for day 2.

Ben, I don't think that Seal and bros are able to do Friday or any weekdays, hence why it was moved back to a weekend. A rivalry game would not be possible.

I will revise the playlist in the first post to reflect what could work best in the factory. Some games with potential, however, cant be supported, sheerly because the venue isnt legal.

Wow, I typed all this on my phone.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:07 pm

Ah, well then I guess both days will end up being with Tony and Danny which changes the dynamics of things. It will still be a lot of fun. I think it's interesting that Frozen Fury has become known for its obscure and unique battlefields. I hope we are still good to play at the Fear Factory if we have to bring Tony and Danny.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

DX

Post by DX » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:12 pm

Because of the illegality and where the parking lot is located, there will be no going back to the cars for equipment. Once in the factory, we can only exit to refill in the away area, the parking lot is the greatest risk. I am almost thinking that we should use the alternate lot, which is about 10 min away and still a risk, but at least it's not right in front of the manager's trailer like the main lot.

In other words, we need to be way more careful than the vibe I'm feeling in the past few posts. Not being careful blew St Johns Woods. If there is no getting out of bringing the nephews to both days, so be it, I'm just not thrilled with assuming so much risk. When fighting in the factory, they cannot be left alone in the back rooms, most of which are totally dark.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:01 pm

Funny, when I asked in chat what the catch was (I knew there had to be one after seeing the 3rd pic of how good it was), you said you couldn't find any.

For water balloons, I'm assuming we don't want to leave evidence of being there? They're easy to carry in and field-fill, but if leaving used balloons is a problem, then we'd want to avoid it. That said, I think biodegradable latex is nothing compared to all the graffiti there, and we'd also be leaving footsteps, water stains (the water is never going to be perfect), etc.

Honestly though, I'm not sure I'd enjoy games where I'm more worried about cops/criminals than I am about the opposing team. I think we need a backup plan in general for Fear Factory should things go awry. We need codewords if things go wrong and a game has to be ended, and we need to be able to exit quickly. A marked Google map would be helpful here. If you're feeling paranoid, you can run some Photoshop filters on the map to obscure it from image search algorithms lol. (Or at the very least, prevent it from being easily matched to its Google Maps location.)
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:18 pm

Well I can't exactly use distance as an excuse not to go to this one. Let me check my schedule...
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:54 pm

*edit*

BOOKED!!! I'm coming.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

scottthewaterwarrior
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:59 am

After reading about the questionable legality of FF, I must ask, why are we fighting there again? I mean, what was wrong with LBW? It was a bit of a drive (and walk), but I think that it sounds like a much better idea. We probably weren't really supposed to be at LBW, but it was so out of the way that there really wasn't anything to stop us. Battling at FF, with the managers office right next to it, sounds like we're it is just about asking for trouble.

I kind of agree with CA99, I really don't want to be battling somewhere were I have to be worried about police/other people coming and bothering us. Even with the drive/walk to get there LBW sound like a much better idea. It sounds like we could only stay at most an hour at FF, so we'd have more time at LBW even counting the time to get there.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:07 pm

I think SEAL bros and DX will have to judge that though, because they're the ones who've actually been there. Anyway, I'm fine with it as long as we plan through the worst-case scenarios ahead of time, with something a little more reassuring than "if you're slow and/or can't find the exit, you're screwed." For tactical reasons as well as for game safety, we should generally avoid separating and going alone. A buddy system could work. That said, this is Saturday in the morning, and people really don't have a reason to be there at that time. If we do run into trouble, I have a feeling that it's most likely going to be from cops, considering the city's crime rates being fairly average. That said, if other people can go there to skate and smoke blunts, we should be able to go there to have water wars. No painted blasters, no camo, and I don't see the big deal. (Although DX did mention the possibility of homeless being there, but I don't know if they're as likely to be around.)
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

DX

Post by DX » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:51 pm

This post is for the people who are scared of coming instead of scared into being prepared as was intended by all this.

Odds are, nothing will happen. But, you need to be mentally and physically prepared for this in order for nothing bad to happen, which was the point of the warnings. The manager's office is, I suspect, for the bridge repair and not actually for the factory complex. Likewise, all those bulldozers we saw, I think are for the new bridge, too. Also, the area we will be using cannot be seen from the street or park in *any* direction, thanks to its unique layout. You can't be seen from outside anywhere since all the other entrances and first floor windows are boarded up.

Seeing as people skate there, which makes a lot of noise, fly RC planes there, which makes a lot of noise, and blast music there, which makes even more noise, I doubt enforcement is actually around. Judging by how well worn and developed the way in is (beaten down path, ladders) it looks like the entrance has been in use for a very long time.

The problem with LBW is that we've already done that twice, it's much smaller, and now it's been partly ruined (the pavilion). That leaves only the theater. LBW buildings are no more legal than the factory, they're just so remote that no one bothers or cares. They're also owned by the park.

The backup location, about 10 min south, also has a couple abandoned buildings deep in the woods, in a more laid-back park where it's perfectly fine to go in them. They are not as large as either the factory or LBW, hence why it's a backup. We will probably end up going there anyway, as it has woods and a good filling stream.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:18 pm

Good call on the noise. Sounds like we may get to meet some interesting people, heh. Anyway, glad that most of my concerns are unfounded. It looks like the real concern is just running into people in general, but I'd think that anyone there would be minding their own business anyways.

Anyway, I'm up for at least half a day, if not a whole day there. Is the backup location good for night wars, or is that also a security risk?
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:26 pm

I think we've pretty much exhausted LBW anyway. I mean, what more can you do there, especially since the pavilion is being worked on now? The theater was fun at first, but I can see rounds there getting really repetitive. That and there isn't a whole lot of room to move around in there, and Mexican standoffs tend to occur. This new place is huge, with plenty of room to move around in, so things should be more intense. However the whole area is rather open, so the rounds may be low-scoring if everyone stays in the wide open areas. Making hits without any form of cover is hard, unless your opponents have no freaking idea what they're doing.

Oh by the way, are we doing rivalry rounds here? I need to know whether or not I should invite friends...
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:16 pm

There is a backup area only 10 minutes away? In that case I think I'm fine with it. The main concern I had was that we would get yelled at and/or kicked out and then have to drive to a new location. I was thinking it more along the lines of LBW, long time to get there and if we get kicked out then their goes 1-2 hours.

If we battle at FF we definitely need to bring water. I have a whole lot of water bottles that I bring to just about every war and they almost never get used. I have always wondered about this as it seams like carrying water to the battle spot would make a lot more sense then our normal "have 1-2 rounds and then go back to refill." If every one carried a backpack with 2-3 water bottles (the big 60oz ones), we could battle for hours!

Unless it is unusually warm, I'd rather not have night wars. I really wouldn't want to get wet when it is 25 degrees outside. Around DX's house might be OK, since we could just go in if we got wet/cold. Dressing warmly works to a point, but the main problem with having wars when it is really cold is that you can't wear gloves! Any gloves thick enough to keep your hands warm in less the 40 degrees are too big to fit in most trigger guards. Like I said, I might be up for it in short bursts near DX's house, but I wouldn't want to do it for more then 20-30 minutes at a time.
SEAL wrote: Oh by the way, are we doing rivalry rounds here? I need to know whether or not I should invite friends...
I think I know the answer, but if it is rivalry does that mean we should or shouldn't invite friends?
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

DX

Post by DX » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:22 pm

I would plan on still having some rivalry rounds, so bring whoever you can.

Ben and I discussed splitting up his nephews so each team has one. Their deaths would not count, but their hits would, including on each other. They would still go respawn like everyone else, but hitting them would have no effect upon scores. This way, they wouldn't bog down the rivalry, but would still have an important role to play in the rounds. We also wouldn't tell them this arrangement, so there is no impact on how they play.

I'm still adjusting the factory rounds, but there will probably be at least 1 CTF and 2 Outpost rounds, where the openness of the rooms should make those gametypes more interesting than usual. Hits also won't count in those rounds, so feel free to take risks when fighting for flags and bases.

We are hopefully going to scout out the backup location this weekend. I have a good idea of where the main usable playing area is, but am not 100% sure where the abandoned foundry and mansion are, and they are important parts of the place. If they are close enough together, they can be used as bases. We will still likely use the backup location after getting our fix of the factory.

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:51 pm

I think Rob and I are wanting to play something around 1 out of every 4 rounds as a rivalry round. That's not the focus of this war, but we do want to have at least 2 battles where we get to fight as our teams. It's fun, but I don't think it should be the focus this time with my nephews, possible friends coming, etc. I would totally be down with playing night rounds around Rob's house, but I'm going to have to be going back to my sister-in-law's place with the boys.

Another idea for incorporating the boys/different game type is to make them invincible vs everyone but each other. In this scenario we would either have a set number of lives (3-5), or would have infinite lives except when hit by the boys. The latter option would probably end up with a lot of people still left around at the end of regulation. We would probably count hits as 1 hit scores if that happened.

One more idea for a round would be splitting things up 2 v 2 v 2 v... with 1 more experience player pairing with 1 less experienced player and playing either elimination or score based. The more veteran players would be using lighter weapons.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:09 pm

Okay... See I want to invite a friend or two so we can get more people, but at the same time if we're doing rivalry I don't want to bring someone that will end up putting my team at a disadvantage. If rivalry isn't the focus of this war then I probably will go ahead and invite some people, though they likely won't want to come anyway ("water gun war in December?! Are you nuts?!") so it doesn't make a difference, heh.

I like the idea of giving the kids special treatment in certain rounds; maybe they'll have more fun that way.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:12 pm

I am inviting 2 friends from NYC and I have no idea how they will do. So just do it. We're mostly in this to have fun anyway. Mostly...

DX

Post by DX » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:14 pm

You kidding? We're in this to win.

marauder

Post by marauder » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:57 pm

I talked to Tony on the phone today and he is very excited. He asked if we were having another war before I even brought it up. He says they've been practicing with their guns. I should have asked if he meant the 21ks or the WWF series.

When Anna said that "Uncle Ben's friend Rob will be picking them up from the airport," Tony said, "Hey, Rob's my friend too." Haha

DX

Post by DX » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:39 pm

Scott, please bring all of your Crickets so we can take a special group picture in a special location.

I scouted the backup location with Brandon and Keith. It turned out to be even better than originally thought, and we decided to use it for the whole of Day 2. Two complete sets of ruins, perfect for CTF and Outpost. However, it is a bit of an uphill hike, so get your legs in shape. Stragglers will be left behind! The park is only 7,400 acres, so you'll catch up in this life or the next. The semifinal playlist will be updated in the OP soon.

scottthewaterwarrior

Re: Frozen Fury 2013, NY/CT Epic Fall Water War

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:34 pm

Glad you told me to bring them, so rarely have the come in useful in the past I might not have.
I am thinking about using Vipers instead as my sidearm, but they are really hard to carry without some kind of holster which I still haven't made (and probably wont). I am working on getting guns ready though. I currently have my 2500 apart and am planning on reinforcing the trigger.

My family is trying to get a workout plan going. All of us need to get more exercise, but it really wasn't working on our own. I'm hopping making it a group effort will work better.