Weekend Battle Report

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
soakinader

Weekend Battle Report

Post by soakinader » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:50 pm

It's been one heck of a weekend. I took my CPS 1700, Zero, Expedition (which I will call a Blazer since it's shorter!), and Orca up to a nearby lake for the weekend. It was a very hot weekend. And I have a lot to talk about!

The first thing that I did was try and have a water fight between me, my reckless lieutenant who I will refer to as Kidd (family) and three other, younger kids. I'll talk more about him later. The fights ensue, with three rounds of what I tried to explain was OHK. I used the 1700 for all three rounds, and I fought against Kidd, with our allies and their weapons changing each round. It was fun, but it was pretty hard to determine who was "out" and getting people who were out (and between rounds, when filling, etc) to stop shooting at each other was difficult. Kidd in particular would waste half of his reservoir before most battles started. I could use some advice on how to hold more successful rounds than just soakfests. I did learn some things, however.

At the end of all the rounds, one kid asked if he could hold the 1700. It was empty, so I said sure, and SNAP! he broke the pump handle right off with one pump. Bullocks. Oh well, now I have an excuse to get in there and make a really good repair. It was still usable, you just had to push the pump in with your thumb.

Remember my Orca? Well, I thought it was a pain to use while simply testing it in my backyard. But as it turns out, in battle, it's practically unusable! Me and Kidd were the only ones who could pull the pump at all, and once it got wet, it was basically impossible. I'm talking about getting one full pump every other second, and that is a struggle. I am going to have to open up that gun and fix the pump lag (I don't know exactly how yet) and afterwords I would like to make a new handle for it, possibly even a tracked pump somehow. (The Blazer gives me an idea, however...)

Back to my adventures, there was a boat/raft/barge parade on the lake, with most of them armed to the teeth with water balloons and a few with cheap pool pistons, nerf super soaker junk, and the best gun of all of the competition, an aquashock Sneak Attack. Our brave friend Chris had just finished his raft with an outboard motor, he threw a generator and some awesome plastic-covered speakers on board, and away we went. Me and Kidd were armed with all four guns with full reservoirs, and about 8 L or so of water bottles for refills. And we needed it!

We engaged every enemy craft the best we could. For most of the battles I was armed with the CPS 1700 and the Blazer (used the orca once until the PC was empty, than ditched it!), whilst Kidd was using the CPS 1000 most of the time (we swapped CPS at the end).
Our first round of ship to ship combat had me squirting away with the Orca while giving them a good blast from the 1700. Kidd wasted a full PC by shooting too early and only pumped a few times before giving them a quick blast with the 1000. I dropped the Orca and grabbed the Blazer. We had between a minute and 20 seconds between engagements, and we used them to refill and recharge. So we continued to fight, Kidd hitting them hard with the 1000 and then dodging or smashing the balloons out of midair with various guns, and me shooting the Blazer carefully and hosing them down with the 1700. Towards the end when we were running low on water we only used the CPS 1000 + 1700. The thing with the two Water Warriors guns is that we weren't close enough to use the 5X setting, and the 2-3X setting was hitting but it wasn't discouraging enough. On the other hand, the 1700 was devastating. On 5X I could hose down almost everybody on board, and anyone with something blue, white and orange in their hand, would have to duck or be hit with enough spray that they couldn't see or return fire without likely missing. I was surprised at how difficult the fight was. The constant movement made it hard to hit sometimes. And the water balloons flying everywhere, while sometimes innacurate, had much more range, and when a boat with 20 people start throwing balloons at you, you are in trouble!

So now, after that experience, I want to do better. I want to be able to spray a boat down with more range, and for much longer (Time for a CPH)!
I want to be able to fire salvos (clusters) of water balloons! (I'm thinking of a catapault, cannon... or something)
I want to have some Stream-machine-like guns I can hand out for boat combat. In general, I want to be able to lend out good, easy to use guns that I don't have to worry about breaking.

My very last concern is Kidd. He's quick and very strong. He's an aggressive warrior who wants to use powerful guns, but he has a strong tendancy to blow all of his water in one shot. I need to find a gun which suits him better. I think I have an idea already...but I am happy for any input.
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Weekend Battle Report

Post by HBWW » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:23 pm

The Gorgon I tested from Rob at Soakemore had massive pump lag even while dry, and I couldn't even draw it properly. I guess that happens with the Orca too, but I'm not exactly sure what causes it.

Games depend on the players, and that's about as simple as it gets. There's measures you can take as a host to prevent players from going rogue, but if the player doesn't want to play, he/she won't. Have hit rules explainable quickly. 1HK is the simplest game out there that isn't soakfest and I've run numerous such games.

For boats, some kind of mechanism for filling from the lake more easily would be helpful. If it's a motorboat, you'll probably want to setup a dip tube attached and secured to the boat, hooked up to whatever blasters you're using or to some kind of homemade pump and reservoir. Homemades are the easiest to do this with. CPH will need a strong bladder for the range, which is difficult to achieve with LRT (haven't gotten LRT bladders to be more powerful than light k-modded CPS's myself i.e. 10k/12k/21k.) APH will deliver more power, but has very abrupt and problematic dropoff, and stream lamination may be a problem too. Syringes are a good option if the boats are not motorized or going too fast. I have a short (TL-600) Stream Machine and a pair of AquaZookas for this.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:35 am

finally a good navel war! sounds like it was a total rout.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:13 pm

That sounds amazing. I would love to take a boat out, armed to the teeth with serious water weapons and take on a bunch of nerf super soaker welding fools.

It is always difficult to get people not to waste their water before a round if that's what they want to do. I know, that's not the most useful advice, but it's difficult to change people. You don't want to be too hard on them for doing that cuz then they won't want to play. Maybe put the worst offenders on the other team? lol I think the best game type to deal with these type of people is any variant of hide and go seek. People always seem to move more expediently when they want to go hide.

In regards to the 1700, man this is so common! You basically have to reinforce pumps on 1500s and 1700s. It's an absolute must if you loan your guns out. The 1700 is amazing.

Perhaps Kidd should be using a CPH or APH since most of the water gets wasted in one shot anyway. Or you could give him a gun with a high PC volume like another 1700, 2700, or even an MXL (on single 5x) and get him to fire in bursts.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:32 pm

I am working on the 1700 pump... and I basically need to find an inch or two of 5/16 solid plastic rod (I would rather not use dowel rod) or even thick PVC (I haven't found it that small yet...). Then, all I have to do is stick it in, cement it in place, and drill a 1/4 " hole in it. Done. I started off last night making an external repair with 1/2" PVC; but at this point I think it would be easier the other way. Interestingly enough, your average ball point pen fits perfectly. I wonder... (and I will push this into a repair thread later)
I definitely think that the 2700 would be Kidd's ideal weapon. (I don't have a MXL yet...) It's heavy, but he would have no problems with that. The only thing is, my 2700 seems to suck in the range department if I recall (compared to other CPS). I would like to K-mod it and add 3 extra nozzle settings. I believe this will be my first and only K-mod, we shall see.
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:21 pm

What kind of cement do you use? How far does your 2700 shoot? I got 41 ft for both 5 and 10x and 37 ft for 2x. I'm pretty sure SEAL's 2700 shoots further than this.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:44 pm

I mean cement as in "to secure in place with lots of thick glue, probably JB weld". I would use PVC solvent cement but I found some plastic and will try using that inside the pump handle.
I don't have the 2700 at the moment, but I assume we are talking 41 angled here? All I know is that I was unimpressed for some reason. I will take some test shots with it in a while.
Other guns that I feel lack range: Monster X, CPS 2000. I will dig out the 2000 and check the serial number when I have some time. I can only see the nozzle sticking out underneath a mountain of guns.
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

DX

Post by DX » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:42 pm

Water gun ranges are always measured angled. This is probably the only shooting game where angling a shot is usually more useful than shooting PTG. When I had a 2700, it hit 44ft on 10x, 42ft on 5x, and 39 ft on 2x. I sold it for $56 cause it wasn't my style.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:14 pm

And it sounds like Seal bought it, those stats are identical to his.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:13 pm

I'm not sure what to call it or which forum to put it in but.... it's supposed to be REALLY HOT this weekend and it's time for THE RETURN OF THE WEEKEND BATTLE!

I can expect Kidd to want the biggest gun I bring... and I can expect the majority of people will be 15 and under. I'm sure that a few adults will want to join in at some point, but for my purposes I need to mainly bring guns that are easy to pump! So XP 150s are out of the question!

I'm going to be leaving on the 10th of July for the same location as above.... this time I don't believe there will be any raft wars, but I would like to bring up enough soakers for a largish scale battle.
I have the usual suspects at my disposal... two CPS 3000, which I can rig with a backpack, but they are finicky. I've got some 1500, 2500, a few 1200/1000 along with every water warriors gun in my arsenal that actually works. Basically, those 3 Blue Blazers + 2 more blazers, lightnings and tiger sharks... I could take my 2 Vindicators but I know they are hard to pump. If I take mainly WW guns, I don't have any fear of those getting wrecked! But I would like to bring some heavier CPS guns, particularily CPS 1000's which are ridiculously easy to pump and my CPS 1500.

Now, I do have to try and cram these guns into the back of an SUV with 5 people in it. So does anyone have any recommendations on anything?

And like last time, trying to organize OHK in what are mostly small open fields... may be difficult.
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:23 pm

for organizing rounds it would help if you don't hand people blasters until they understand the rules, then hand it to them empty and have them all filled in the lake at roughly the same time (so no one gets "bored" and just starts spraying)

As for blasters I would stick to loaning WW guns to everyone except kidd for him I would just hand him A CPS 2100("k" modded if you have one)

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:33 am

Topic moved to the Water Wars forum, which is not just for league events now, but for all WW event listings and war reports.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:09 pm

1st, Thanks CA99 for moving the thread.

Then, Storm; the lake is very sandy/muddy and I don't want to risk filling the guns up in the lake! So it's hoses and water pumps only! Which limits how fast I can fill stuff and also where we can refill. Random thought- take half a dozen 2L pop bottles, fill them all with water, and hand them out at the start of each round?

Also, the CPS 2100 is the one unique CPS gun I DONT have (I'm not counting the 4100 or 3200). Go figure!
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:36 pm

^ We've done that in community wars: load up a bunch of large containers and all non-leaking reservoirs, and head out to the battle location.

I haven't encountered any natural water of serious concern yet. Water that appears muddy always ends up rather clear when bottling it, but I rarely use it anyways. Now, I usually take a container/cup and funnel for spill-free, dip-free filling. (As in, not having to dunk the whole blaster in.)
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:39 am

Hmmm...

Maybe we can refill the WW guns from the lake. I mean, if people are somewhat careful and I rinse them out when we are done there shouldn't be any problems right?

I guess I will need to find some empties so that people aren't dunking the guns! Despite being water guns, I know from experience that they really aren't meant to be underwater! The rust can be awful.

I am going to be leaving sooner than I thought. Less than 24 hours from now! Tomorrow morning I will have to go and find a bucket of guns to take to the lake. It's funny, I have two bins with guns in them: One with 3 footers (including my CPS 2000's) and one with WW guns. Let's just say I'm leaving the CPS 2000 at home where it's safe!
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

scottthewaterwarrior
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:53 am

I wouldn't dip the water warriors guns in the lake, they are less valuable then the CPS guns, but they have major problems with rusting as it is. As for game types, there is a reason I normally do OHS with 15 second re-spawn. OHK doesn't work too well as all the out people start blasting each other from boardum after about 5 minutes. If you are loaning anything with a non-tracked pump I'd recommend reinforcing it. I do very little modding or repairs on water guns, but that is one thing I always make sure to do. Explaining the rules before handing out the guns is probably the most important thing, again, I know this from experience.

Despite sounding very disorganized with all the little kids, your battles sound really fun. If I'm ever in Canada I will be sure to try and come to one!
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:13 pm

With funnels and bottles, I'm fine with using natural water, although it hasn't actually happened yet where I've used natural water for any of my blasters other than syringe pumpers. (Since I've only brought my own blasters to Soakemore.)

Many members on here have continuously used natural water without issues. As long as you don't get your water from where all the dirt/sediment is, it should be fine if the water looks clear from a reservoir's worth. I'm not that concerned since the damn things eventually break anyway.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:19 pm

Well... It's been interesting.

First we had some short 3VS3 battles. Since everyone was already soaking wet it didn't do us much good. I do like the idea of a 15 second respawn though, I'll try that if I can.

Later me and Kidd had some intense 1 on 1 OHK with the Vindicators. He is very good at hiding and ambushing! And he blasts me randomly a lot.

More battles to come? We'll see.

*EDIT* I'm going to try and snag a broken Tiger Shark that's lying around.
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:46 am

The spring on my Lightning's nozzle valve is super rusted. Somehow it still works. The whole thing is not in good condition, however, so it requires some work before I can transfer it over to the Oncoming Storm. It's still at my parents'.

It must be awesome having all those guns to choose from. Is there any method to the madness or do you just grab whatever gun randomly for each fight?

In somewhat related news, I am glad that I snagged 2 XP Pool Pumper Blasters. They will definitely come in handy for battling around lakes and other bodies of water. I was able to procure 2 3L camelbaks for free during training at Ft Knox over the past month. I would prefer to use a 4L pack, but those are expensive and hard to come by, so the 3L camelbaks should work just fine. I accidentally put a hole in the only 4L bladder that I have, but I guess that just shoes that it wasn't good quality to begin with. It's plastic, where as the 3L camelbak bladders are a much tougher almost rubber like material. I will eventually get a good 4L pack from REI, as I've finally found one that's actually good quality. I think 4L/128 oz is a pretty sweet spot for a backpack, when it comes to balancing capacity and mobility.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:26 am

You snagged TWO XP pool pumper blasters? From where?> and for how much :P

You know, when it comes to picking guns to use it usually ends up being WW guns, which are powerful but not expensive; as far as I know I couldn't sell any of them for more than 10-20$ (not that I would sell them) so I don't mind lending them out to just about anyone.

I really enjoy using CPS class Super Soakers, but I am afraid to lend them out to anyone. Maybe part of it is that I have repaired them and I fear they will get broken again. It's really too bad that there aren't more people out here who want to have water fights. The truth is, there are only a few weeks a year where it is nice enough for getting wet. I'd be thrilled if there were some responsible, cool dudes like you guys around here.
I find 'em, I fix 'em.