War in the Woods

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
Nemesis

War in the Woods

Post by Nemesis » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:26 pm

My first submission. lemme know if i did something wrong.

It was the day after i had received my cps 1500 and 2700 in the mail. A friday, and i went over to my friend (who i will refer to as Matt) 's house. my other friend (Rick) was there too. Matt's little sister, (Amy) dicided to battle with us in the woods down the street. I used my 1500, Rick used my 1000, Matt used my 2700, and Amy used Matt's colossus. we filled up, and decided it would be a soakfest with no refills allowed, as we did not have much time. As soon as the game started, i hid and surveyed the feild. Matt was perched in a tree, ready to snipe, when i saw him get soaked from a tree behind him. I looked and saw it was rick. he was in another tree behind matt. Amy was lurking around to my right. i started sneaking around, following her. Rick was locked in a long range duel with Matt, so rick was double soaked when he was hit by amy from below, and matt from the front. his 1000 was about out of water, and he was totally soaked, so he went off to the side to watch. amy turned around just in time to get soaked by 1500 5x Fury from me. she ran away quick, but forgot about matt in the tree. she ran right under him and got punished by a wave, a full 10x shot from a 2700, with all of it's, and gravy`s power behind it. she was considered drenched, and joined rick. that left only me and matt. after dodging and returning shots for a while, i faced the fact that his reservoir would outlast me. i ran right underneath the branch he was on, flipped to 10x, an looked up to see a 10x nozzle staring back at me. in that moment. with nozzles aimed, i realized that the reason matt had been soaking people so well in this fight was because he was playing to the strenghs of his gun and his position. he had a significant range and capacity advantage. to beat him, i would have to play to my strengths, and minimize his. i had the advantage of mobility. as soon as i saw his gun kick from the recoil, i lunged forward, dodging the blast. my back was still partially drenched, but it was the right move, and i will never forget the feeling of seeing matt engulfed in a column of water from my 1500's 10x nozzle, as i shot him.

thanks for reading!
"The world is yours" - Nas

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Re: War in the Woods

Post by SEAL » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:49 pm

Hmm... Well this is the "2012" battle reports forum, but we don't have a 2013 one so this is probably the best place to post this. Are we going to have a 2013 battle report forum? I don't see why we can't just use this one again.

Anyhoo, sounds like you guys had fun. Interesting scoring method too. So it's like OHK (One Hit Kills) except you need to be "drenched" in order to be out? I think it's funny how you had people in trees; I don't think I would EVER consider sending someone up into a tree unless it offered a good view of the surrounding landscape, and couldn't be reached by enemy streams (though they still might have to watch out for launchers, haha). Otherwise they'd be sitting ducks against experienced opponents, as proved by this battle.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:02 pm

Very interesting war story. Sounds like a lot of fun. The scoring method doesn't seem too unorthodox. After all, most soakfests I'm involved in have a lot of trash talk about who's more drenched than the other person. It sounds like y'all were able to agree when someone was drenched.

Please begin your sentences with a capital letter. It makes things a lot easier to read. Splitting your post into paragraphs would also increase its readability.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:10 pm

M4 has been in trees before, with his old CPS 2000 mk2 Armageddon no less. He was so high up in it that CPS's couldn't fire back. read Dominator war 2
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:43 pm

Yeah, i need to remember to capitalize. It is fun to play where if you get totally drenched, your out. Also, being up in a tree is good if you are high up, and or concealed. then you can throw water balloons at unsuspecting opponents. i use this technique sometimes because i am an amazing climber, and love heights. plus, as seal said, you get a good view. it was not a very 'hardcore' fight, otherwise my friend would not have been up in a tree, and he knew he was a sitting duck.

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:37 pm

Pretty good. I wish I had as good of guns to have a fight like that...

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:47 pm

i know how you feel fishfan. I worked most of last summer to afford most of those. it was worth it though. now i can have loads of battles this summer. I wish you lived closer to me, i'd lend you them any time you need.

Belisaurius

Post by Belisaurius » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:48 am

This was a good story, and I think you've got a good point, Nemesis, about playing to the strengths of your guns and downplaying the strengths of your opponent. I basically used an XP 270 the entire time I was battling with my team, and the range was a lot worse than the guns that DX's team used. And when we were at my battlefield, Waterbridge, the terrain made it hard to use tactics that made up for the gun and weapon disadvantages. That battlefield is long and narrow, so it was hard to flank or hide from the enemy. We pretty much always lost at home. But at the other battlefield we used, the terrain was wide and there was a lot of room for maneuvering around and behind the enemy team. Even when we were outnumbered, I had a much easier time fighting to at least a draw there where I could maneuver to meet the enemy on my terms. So I just want to say that you seem to have a key lesson here Nemesis, and it can be used to even fights out when it isn't possible to improve your team arsenal right away.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:00 pm

yes definitely. And you get better at that technique the more you battle.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:43 pm

I too, second the Grammar Nazi stance that marauder has taken. It just makes things easier to read, and I would venture to say that it helps you establish good habits for school papers. Write war reports like you're going to submit them to an English teacher, and they will be great reports to read.

Your war story looks simple but fun. Soakfests aren't commonly written about around here, but it's good to hear of them every once in a while.

The no refilling rule as a way to make sure the soakfest has an end is a simple but good approach. Do consider though, that different blasters have different capacities, and to be more fair, you could allow refill bottles to those with the lower-capacity blasters. If you're interested in more info on setting up game rules, my own site/blog (linked in my signature), HBWW, has some bits on that. Shameless self-advertising ftw, but I think you may find it helpful, if a bit thick and boring to read.

I like simple but concrete methods on how to tell who's drenched. The more concrete and easy to recognize when you're hit, the better. In, say, a water warfare video game, the software would be easily able to detect how much water a player has taken, but in actual battles, we don't have this luxury. Target gadgets are typically avoided since everyone must have one, and they typically limit where you can hit a player. (Although backpacks and certain gear make it more difficult to tell if you've been hit too, which is unfair.) This is one of the challenges of water warfare: determining good hit rules. For some, the definition of a hit is "fist sized splotch" (But how solid is it? And what if someone has a big fist [as iSoaker cleverly noted in a comic]?), for others, it could be a solid area approximately the size of a quarter coin. For me, I had an "approximately 20 droplets or more water" definition, but that can be stretched about a lot. (i.e. You were hit with 40 droplets but can't tell it was 40 instead of 20.) Perhaps the solid quarter sized hit is the best definition; the size is easy to see and will almost always be solid.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:08 pm

Oh, yes sorry for the bad grammar. I actually wrote most of this report half asleep, but i suppose i shouldn't make excuses. I have since vowed to change my ways, and my next report will be much more grammatically organized. When this battle took place, we did not have much time, and so we just did a soakfest. The no-refilling rule wasn't very fair, and it wasn't the best scoring method either. I prefer OHK battles heavily, but we were just itching to totally soak someone with my new guns. Oh, and my English teacher would never accept a paper like this, i know better!

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:42 pm

Some people go as far as to write Facebook comments correctly. I neglect to do this for short comments that are pretty much like chat, only when I'm actually typing something of length.

I guess when you're in a hurry, some things have to be thought up of quickly.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

DX

Post by DX » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:51 pm

In general, thoughts should be well-formed throughout the internet unless it is a chat room or you're posting from a mobile device with a virtual keyboard. If you have ample time and a physical keyboard, there's no real excuse for word soup unless you're 5 years old. I don't even personally care if things are spelled correctly or if the grammar is by the book, the posts just need to be "readable". When you are used to typing complete, readable thoughts, there is no extra effort involved to tidy up a post - you do it instinctively while laying down the text.

The other thing to keep in mind is that employers, colleagues, peers, etc can read whatever you post in public. It reflects poorly on a person to post in stream of consciousness, such typing styles leave readers with the perception that the typer is either uneducated or lazy. For bloggers and web authors, it diminishes your perceived authority and users will look for information elsewhere. It doesn't particularly matter how you type on a water gun forum, but if given a choice between reading two war stories, I go for the one that that's more readable first.

Ending a soakfest via no refills works if the guns used are in the same class and have comparable capacity. For example, a Colossus and a 2700 have similar length of field life, but the 2700 has a huge output advantage. Likewise, the 1000 and 2700 are closer to the same class, but the 1000 runs out far earlier. We are trying a team soakfest round at the NC war next week, first time ever for a community war. The last time I did a serious team soakfest was before Poseidon and Ben's nephews were born, so I have no idea how this is going to do down.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:21 pm

I go out of my way to ensure forum posts are clean even on a mobile device, since the other guy reading the post doesn't know nor care what device you're typing from and forum etiquette remains the same regardless of what device you're using.

As far as ending a soakfest via no-refills, I think the fairest way is to give those at a disadvantage extra blasters and/or water bottles. For example, a pair of Max-D 3000's dual wielded, is a more or less fair match (IMO) against someone with a single Max-D 6000.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:44 pm

But. some battles are not fair even with equal field life and output, for instance XP 250 vs colussus as DX and M4 proved is a rout by beating a colussus with a 150 which then lost to a 250.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo: