Annual Vancouver Waterfight

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
the oncoming storm
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Annual Vancouver Waterfight

Post by the oncoming storm » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:25 pm

If I were you here is the combos I would consider using

SS 300 (don't worry so much it's not going to break), XXP 275 (duel shower), duel SL 1000s
CPS 3000, with Vindicator (3x), duel SL 1000s
or CPS 2000, with Vindicator (3x), duel SL 1000s
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:18 pm

Why so stuck on the Vindicators? Sure, it's a good gun, but it's not a CPS 1500. Also, while I might be able to attach my UQFD to one of the taps to use my SL 1000's, I'm not sure I would be able to keep an eye on it, unless you are suggesting I either keep them loaded for a few hours and use them once, or simply have them for the intimidation factor. ? Also, while I do love the XXP 275, I want to be as flexible as possible. I can't dual wield with it, so it's kind of unlikely. Maybe.
Also the SS 300 leaks quite a bit, probably needs lube, and I don't have access to it, my 2700, 1200, or my battle 2500 right now. So count those off my list.
My thoughts on loadout:
2X Vindicators for loaning/dual wielding
1X CPS Zero for loaning since it looks like crap anyways
CPS 1500/2000/2500/3000 for me. 2500 and 3000 can't be loaned, but the 1500 and 2000 could. I would like to take two out of these.
Monster Oh wait I like the monster add that to above under loanable.
Mobster X Bad, bad gun. Now that's intimidation!
Shower Aquapack (10-20L)

Other options:
CPS 1700 -Just repaired the pump, strap connection point is broken. I don't think I will take this one since I don't want it broken anymore!
WW Lighthing, 2 Tiger Sharks, Blazer, Gorgon -All viable options. Can't be bought, but aren't worth much.

Decisions decisions.
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:52 pm

I will explain my thoughts

Primary (Some Big weapon for quick soaking), Secondary (Something to get you safely from when your primary runs out till you can reload it), Sidearm (Something to defend while you pump)

A tip, you can avoid sidearms with an XP 150 as secondary cause It pumps super fast (5 tap shots per pump).
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:13 pm

Yeah I like your simplistic view, but I need some more... specifics. While I do like the XP 150, it's too slow to refill, and there's no strap. I think I would rather take my Gorgon. In fact, maybe I will.
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

DX

Post by DX » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:42 pm

You can fix that by putting CPS threads on the reservoir, drilling a hole, and attaching a cap. It's not a difficult mod in theory since it does not need to hold pressure, just needs to be watertight.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:06 pm

I actually find the 150 kind of quick to refil - now that I've got the hang of it. Seriously though, you can dunk a 150 reservoir without having to worry about getting the internals rusty, like with newer guns. It's also easier to fill the reservoir once it's off than to fill, say an XP 270 or Colossus. However, that's all dependent upon a combination of muscle memory and having a 150 tank that has threads that are in good condition.

My biggest question for you though is - where are you going to put all these guns? How many are you carrying on you at one time? Where are you placing the others? My recommendations will be dependent upon this. My recommendations for loaners depends on who you're loaning them to. Some people can do well with more complex guns, others can't. Some people can deal with low shot time, others can't. My favorite loaners for soakfests are the XP 110, XP 150, Blazer, and SC 600.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:42 pm

Basically, I don't really know. Theoretically, I could be carrying everything in my bag until I A: get to the battlefield and put some stuff down or B: Find some people I know to share with (although I should expect them to be armed with 1-2 small guns each already) . So the plan is to stick to loaners with straps if at all possible, that way I can carry it all if I have to, and I can loan out guns knowing they probably won't get dropped. Also, if I can, I will fill up the aquapack and use it for refilling other people on my team.
I do like the XP 150 and it isn't that hard to fill, except I have nothing to dunk it into and it takes two hands to do, unlike some other guns.
I could loan out my Blazer, and my new purple Lightning, I really like these guns and they're tough.
OK so I have some stuff figured out now.
CPS 1500 3X (Not leaving without it!)
CPS 2000 OR Monster X (for intimidation, not sure which one I will choose yet. Vote!)

Maybe: CPS Zero (It's a solid gun, very distinctive.)
Monster (I just think it's awesome)

Fills the bag with some combination of Tiger Shark X2, Lightning, Blazer, Vindicator X2
Questions is, do I take 4-5 smaller guns (The Tiger Sharks, CPS 1000, Lightning) or do I take 2-3 bigger guns?
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:49 pm

How many friends are coming? I'm sure you won't know an exact number, but give us a range. What guns do they have already?
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:03 pm

I can't count on any people yet, but the ones I do know have things like Flash Flood, Colossus, Gorgon, and some Vindicators. I can expect 0-6 people (or randomly more, but let's ignore that) that I know to be there. Of course, there should be 200-700 people there... so anything could happen.
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:21 pm

That's an insane amount of people. We really should make a community war out of this or the one in NYC. Just have our own events on the other days.

Those are fairly good guns that your friends have. I personally wouldn't bother bringing other ones to lend out if you don't have a secure place like a car to store them in. Even if you did I don't see how your loaners would be much of a step up from the guns you already have.

Do you run around much in this battle or do you basically walk around the battlefield? If you're running at all I would recommend going a little lighter. Maybe your 1500 with a Vindicator, Blazer, or Lightning slung over your shoulder. If you're just walking around shooting at people you could do 2 big CPS and maybe even a BBT slung over your back. This is where backpack guns would come in real handy. I'd love to take a Power Pak to this kind of event, if you could use a QFD. My ideal loadouts for this battle would be any combination of the following:

Primaries: Monster XL, SC Power Pak, CPS 1500 with added 3x and 30x nozzle, CPS 2700 with added 30x nozzle, SS 300, modded XP Pool Pumper Blaster
Sidearms: SC Power Pak, Aquapack Devastator, dual Speed Loader 1500s, Vindicator, XP 110.

I don't like the CPS 2000, 2500, or Monster X's short shot time for this type of battle. At least the 2000 gives you insane power to make up for it though. It could be paired with something with a lot more shot time, like a Power Pak or Vindicator, if you were going to use it. Good point about the 150 needing 2 hands to refill. Didn't think of that.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:09 am

So... That was one heck of a day. I'm sore, and I'm tired, but I have a lot to say!

There were some epic dodges, shootouts, balloon deflections and sneak attacks. Big guns and small guns and no guns oh my!

First off, the weather. After having a record setting whole month of nothing but sunshine, on the (poorly) chosen day of the waterfight all of us wake up to cold and cloudy grey skies. The waterfight was set for 1 pm, I'm glad I decided to go but the sun didn't come out until the very last minute! It definitely hurt attendance but the day turned out well (I got sunburnt!) and there was definitely more people than last time. There was supposed to be almost 1500 people coming with almost 1000 maybes, but in the end less than 500 people showed up. There was a band, and lots and lots of cameras. I'll try and see if any good stuff pops up.

I brought two Vindicators and my trusty CPS 1500 3X. In the early parts I was using a Vindicator plus my 1500. I have to say, using the vindicator with the stock strap is annoying. It's just hard to use one handed. The pump is also quite stiff compared to the 1500. It can take more abuse though; the 1500 is pretty finicky with somen minor pump lag and the fragile nozzle selector. I used the 1500 99% of the time, with one (or both!) Vindicators as backup.
I will say, refilling sucks. That's when you get buckets dumped on you. Next time I would like to take my solar shower backpack.

I ran into my friend Joules after about an hour, who didn't bring his Colossus with him this time. Also returning: "Rambo" with his two Pulse Masters, Captain "Nerf" America, and Eddy. Joules borrowed one of my Vindicators for the rest of the day (which he was very impressed with) while crazy Eddy ran around like a maniac the whole time with the Steady Stream 2 he brought. He was quite the maverick, not much of a team player, and he refused to use the other Vindicator. I like that guy. Anyways, the three of us were unshakable allies.

First let me say that this time I was impressed with the blasters I saw. A CPS 3200, 3000, 2500, two 1200's and a super faded brown 1000! Not to mention a blue Blazer, green Tiger Shark, Orca, Tarantula, two Gorgons, three to six Drench N Blasts, two or three Renegades, an XP 110, 4 foot long Stream Machine, and an SS100. Not to mention a Hydro Cannon and two Quick Blasts, which I will get to later. Oh and lots of other nerf SS crap. The Shot blasts were surprisingly effective when you get shot in the face, though. All three of the heavy CPS cannons belonged to the same guy, and they were in amazing condition. Interestingly enough, all of the people with CPS guns sort of just acknowledged me and then left me alone. Then again, anyone smart would say "don't shoot the guys with the big guns"... 'cause if they did they would get soaked good.

The battleground: A waterpark and a bridge. I guess I should have taken a pic of the area, but I'll give you the best idea I can. I started the day under the bridge, where there is a tap that is OK for filling. Then there is a sidewalky area that passes between the bridge and the waterpark. The waterpark starts with these big umbrella things that squirt water everywhere, people swarmed there but it takes forever to fill and you can get dumped on. Then it goes right, towards some ground sprinklers and a fort where the best filling spot was. This was our base of operations for most of the fight.

In a lot of cases, having a good gun didn't matter. With the ample supply of water, anyone with a bucket or a bag could douse anyone without too much effort. There were also several piston pumpers (including a homemade ABS pipe) in action, which were used to great effect. It wasn't about getting people wet so much. Everyone was soaked or standing under the water fountains, so regardless of how well I, Joules and Eddy soaked people, they were still nailing us in the eyes with those little streams.
Oh and the little kids were nasty! They would nail you with those dollar store syringe guns, and they were everywhere. I got hit by six or seven water balloons (none of which popped) and some of which hurt. I mean seriously. Oh, and then there were these women who would throw down towels and sunbathe like ten feet from the edge of the waterpark. And they would freak out if you got close (and scream if they got wet!). In hindsight I kind of wish I would have hosed them down for their uptightness before I left. It might have been funny.

It got to the point where it was me, Joules, and Eddy against twice as many people with a Hydro Cannon, Gorgon, two Quick Blasts, a guy dual-wielding spray bottles, and someone borrowing a Pulse Master from Rambo, along with Rambo, who went rogue several times with the second Pulse Master.
One thing that definitely became clear is that having staying power was important. Intimidation is good, but a determined person with a piston gun will just keep shooting. Heck, the guy with two spray bottles was more annoying than anyone, the output is small but they just keep going and going. And as for the Quick Blasts, I hated those things. They just kept nailing me in the face and regardless of what I did with the 1500 people just kept coming at you. You either hit an run or got hit blindly.

At one point me and Joules snuck onto the bridge where some lookee loos were shooting from and hosed them down from behind as we ran by. I didn't need to go up there to soak them (I shot them pretty good from the ground too) but it was fun.
I got 4 pictures, they are all kind of hazy from the bag my phone was in, but I got a shot of various CPS guns and a view of the waterpark from under the bridge.

At the end of the day, I'm hoping to see three new faces on WWN, maybe so, maybe not? WOOOO!
Yawn.
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:58 pm

What you said about the Vindicator is what I've been saying for years. I like to fire one-handed because it increases my range just a little bit (plus it just feels plain epic). But even if you don't ever fire with one hand, the weight balance/inability to use just one hand comfortably really slow you down in other ways, whether you're trying to switch between guns, refill, or just move your gun around to a different position. Did you tell those guys about WWN? The battle sounds awesome. please post your pictures. I found this article online:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/08/12 ... 43907.html

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:55 pm

Mmm. My pictures are not that great. You would be better off to check the facebook page. Bonus: I appear in ONE picture, but there's someone standing in front of me so you can't see my face. It's like I wasn't even there...
EDIT: I found a CPS 2000 in this video.
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/08/12 ... 43907.html
The music is lame, so just mute it and play your own music. It's not as epic as it should have been. Here's hoping it hits critical mass next year!
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:48 am

OK guys. My car is ready to be loaded up. Let's do this! The VAW 2015 is this Saturday!
I'm going to see if Ritz wants to come to the waterfight with me, along with my nephew.

Time to start unpacking my collection...
I find 'em, I fix 'em.