Hydropocalypse Official Thread

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Hydropocalypse Official Thread

Post by marauder » Sat May 19, 2012 8:11 am

We played several weird games. One was Zombies where I was the zombie, with SEAL's electrostorm and all the humans could use whatever guns they wanted. You can imagine how long it took me to hit someone! Once you were hit you took a 10 second pause before becoming a zombie and if a zombie was hit he was stunned for 10 seconds before he could attack again. John, using the 1500, was the last human left; and we all ended up chasing him down and eating his brains.

Belisaurius just gave Tiff and I an engagement wine and some cigars so we are going to enjoy that and I'll have to update y'all on the rest later lol
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sat May 19, 2012 11:40 am

We always made zombies completely invincible and gave them very low grade weaponry. For this summer, we'll probably give them foam noodles lol. Obviously not realistic, but to play realistically AND give zombies a chance, we'd have to give all the humans Hydro Cannons and put them in very confined spaces. Say, indoors.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

marauder

Post by marauder » Sat May 19, 2012 11:32 pm

Just finished up a great day of waterwarfare. I'm camping out at my house with 9 other combatants and Scott, Seal, DX, Belisaurius, and 2 other combatants are camping out at the park. Here are some brief updates on the battles we played today:

1 Hit Kills
DX, CPS 2000; 1 hits made, 1 hit received
John, CPS 2000; 3, 1
SEAL, CPS 2700; 1, 1
Keith, CPS 1200?; 0, 1
Laura, Gorgon; 0, 1

TIED

M4, CPS 2000; 3,1
Scott, CPS 2500; 2, 1
Belisaurius, XP 270; 0, 1
Paul, CPS 1500; 0, 1
Becca, CPS 1500; 0, 1
Tiff, Vindicator; 0, 1

This was crazy because it was the first ever 1hk game I've ever seen end in a tie. It came down to SEAL vs Scott and they shot each other at the same time! If you based this one on points they win this one 5 to 6, but there was no one left standing in the end haha.

1 Hit Scores (20 minute time limit)
M4, SS 300; 3 hits made, 1 hit received
DX, CPS 12k; 0, 1
Tiff, Vindicator; 0, 1
Belisaurius, CPS 2500; 2, 0

win 5 to 3 vs

John, CPS 1500; 0,1
SEAL, CPS 2700; 1, 0
Scott, Vindicator; 2, 2
Laura, Gorgon; 0, 3
Keith, CPS 1200; 0, 0

Hill Defense Defenders have 3 lives/respawn; attackers have infinite lives/respawn
Defense:
Drew, CPS 2000; 5, 3
Jack, CPS 2500; 5, 3
M4, SS 300; 8, 3
Patrick, CPS 1500; 3, 3
Will, CPS 1500; 3, 3
Tiff, Vindicator; 0, 3
Laura, Gorgon; 1, 3

24 hits vs 21 (attack) and lasted ~18 minutes

Attack:
DX, CPS 2000; 5, 4
John, CPS 2000; 3, 6
Scott, CPS 2500; 4, 6
SEAL, CPS 2700; 3, 3
Keith, CPS 1200; 3, 6
Belisaurius, XP 270; 2, 4

Hill Defense 2 Defenders have 3 lives/respawn; attackers have infinite lives/respawn
Defense:
DX, CPS 2000; 17, 1
John, CPS 2000; 7, 3
Scott, CPS 2500 + Collossus + 2 Crickets; 7, 2
SEAL, CPS 2700; 2, 1
Keith, CPS 1200; 2, 1
Belisaurius, XP 270; 2, 3

39 hits vs 13 (attack) and defense survived past the 18 min mark

Attack:
Drew, CPS 2000; 3, 4
M4, SS 300; 3, 6
Patrick, CPS 1500; 3, 6
Tiff, Vindicator; 0, 3
Laura, Gorgon; 0, 5
Jack, Shotblast; 2, 9
Will, XP 75; 2, 8

Basically, this was a mix of bad luck vs good preparation. My 2500 was shooting out the sides of the nozzle cone, my Pool Pumper Blaster shot its PCs off (easily fixable), and a 1500 was leaking all over the place, so we were left with my XP 75 and Jack's Shotblast. The other side decided to take multiple guns up each, so that they wouldn't run out of water like we did (the creek being below the hill, and the fighting area being confined to a small area, not allowing people to run off to refill). I only included Scott's backups because that's all I remember, but they had a ton of guns.

The hill got really slippery in a few places, with the leaves being ground down or kicked aside to reveal clay turned to mud by the water; and I had 2 ppl on my team who had trouble actually climbing up the hill, which affected things even worse for us. Basically, it was a massacre.

With that being said, I have to bring up the issue of cheating/calling hits. I have never seen a real problem with it at any community war until this event. Patrick, and Jack, on my team, were definitely guilty offenders of not calling hits and calling hits on people after they were already supposed to be going back to respawn. The opposing team called them out, Drew and I noticed it, and we got on them about it. For this reason I have gone with the opposing team's stats for these 2 players which I believe are more reliable. What's supposed to happen is you right down who hit you and who you hit when you run back to the respawn point (there's paper and a pencil there), but as I mentioned above, some people weren't honest about when they were hit.

With that being said, I have to question the opposing team on how honest they were with keeping count of their own hits (received). On the scorecard in front of me I have John written down as being hit 6 times and yet he was still actively fighting when we called off the battle after 18 mins. Defense only had 3 lives and I know they understood this. 3 different ppl wrote down, during the game, that they shot John.

Tomorrow is the big lake battle. Two more people arrived late tonight so we'll have even more involvement tomorrow. Pretty excited. Oh, and the 300 is beastly.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

marauder

Post by marauder » Sun May 20, 2012 4:18 pm

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sun May 20, 2012 5:29 pm

Where are the WBLs?!?!?! =O
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon May 21, 2012 12:02 am

I was only able to take a few photos, and I didn't get any with WBLs. I do have video with launchers, but you'll have to wait for that. In the mean time, here's some nerdy pie charts.

Chart depicting total hits for the war, based on guns used.

Chart depicting avg hits/game, based on guns that were used the most (aka large sample size.)

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Tue May 22, 2012 2:20 pm

I'm back from my uncle's house. You see, I got sick on Sunday night, so my grandfather took us home (he was getting sick too.). It sucks, because I wanted to hang out with my cousins (was going to show them my Douchenator.), and get a ride in my uncle's Porsche. I wasn't that sick though, and I'm already feeling better.

Anyway, on to the important subject. The war was a blast, but I don't think we had as many hardcore battles as Downpour last year. We had a lot of fun battles in M4's backyard, a few serious battles the next day, and of course, the naval war on Sunday. I have about 30 pictures, and some videos that I want to combine into one movie, but I want to wait with that until I post my battle report (so I can get as many points as possible. :goofy: ). For now, I'll just lightly go over each battle.

The first round was OHS, played until one team got 10 points. We ended up losing pretty badly because I was using my WBL; basically, I was invincible while it was loaded and pressurized, but once I shot it off (I almost hit M4!), I was pretty much guarenteed to be hit, and I was. I had my XP 270 in my backpack, and I ended up just using that for the rest of the battle. I actually managed to hit M4 with it, even though he had a 2000.

The second round was a variation on CTF, with two flags on each team. We played until the pizza man arrived, and the winner was whoever had the most flags when the game was over. As M4 already posted, it was an awsome battle; probably tied with the naval war for my favorite. We came back to win at the very last second.

The third round was a night-time OHS game, played until one team got 12 hits. This was pretty tricky, because we split up a lot, and it was hard to tell who was on which team. We ended up losing, but not by much (I think it was 12-10.).

The fourth round was hilarious. We played Infection where M4 was the original zombie, armed with my Electrostorm (which I brought just for the heck of it. :goofy: ). It took him like 20 minutes to hit someone, and when he did, it was only because she wasn't paying attention. We got a lot of laughs out of it.

The fifth round was kind of interesting. We played a game where if someone gets hit, they have to join the other team. The game is over when everyone is on one team. I don't think this type of game had ever been played before. It took a while to be over, and it got pretty darn confusing at times, especially since it was at night.

The sixth round was the first round on Saturday, and the first round that DX and Belisaurius played in. It was a standard OHK game, and as M4 already posted, it somehow ended in a draw when Scott and I shot each other. I have no idea who shot first.

The seventh round was a timed OHS round. It was pretty boring right up until the very end when we had a comeback going, but the time ran out before we could get ahead. I thought the score was 5 to 4, not 5 to 3.

The eighth round was basically a Hold the Line variation. It was pretty difficult because the defending team was on a hill, and we had trouble landing hits on them. Eventually me and Belisaurius managed to get up to the top and hold off the enemy until the others could get up. After that it became pretty easy. I'm pretty sure I only got hit twice, both times by M4.

The ninth round was the same as the eighth, except we were on the defending team. It was a little unfair because we had a ton of blasters (although they had a water source.), 4 or 5 of which were CPS 2000s. Naturally, they could never gain the upper hand, and we called it off after we'd survived longer than they had the previous round. I heard there were a lot of disputes concerning hits. Scott and my brother Jon apparently had a big problem with this. I didn't really notice it much, and nobody really tried to pull anything with me that much. I only got hit once when I stumbled on wet leaves or a log or something (can't remember.). Apparently, Jon was written down as getting hit 6 times, yet still faught, even though he told me that he only got hit twice until near the end when he got hit for the third time. He says some people were calling hits on him when they either were already hit by him, or didn't get him enough to count.

The tenth and final round was the only one played on Sunday (aside from a small soakfest.), and it was one of the most epic. We played a D-day style invasion, where we had 8 people in canoes attacking 5 people on the shore. It started out as OHK, but we changed it to OHS. Each side got one WBL. I was on the attacking side with my Douchenator, and me and Candice (That was her name, right?) would pull up close to the shore (I actually got a lot closer than I probably needed to.) and I'd fire off water balloons at the defenders. I didn't actually hit anyone, but I came really close to hitting DX, and I almost got Scott with the spray when the balloon smashed into a branch above him. It's probably a good thing that I missed DX though; I couldn't really tell from where I was, but it looked like it was headed straight for his face. I was only maybe 75 feet away, so that would probably have hurt quite a bit. I still don't know who won; M4 is going to tally up the points.

So overall, I don't feel that I did quite as good as I did at Downpour last year; in some rounds, I was trying to be more aggressive, and sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. I'm really not very agile, so I've always preferred to be more defensive. I was also quite out of shape, not having gone to the gym in like two weeks. I also don't really have enough people to have good training battles either, and I hadn't faught since mid-March.

I will start typing a battle report soon, before I forget everything.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

DX

Post by DX » Tue May 22, 2012 4:22 pm

It was a standard OHK game, and as M4 already posted, it somehow ended in a draw when Scott and I shot each other. I have no idea who shot first.
Neither. I had one of the best/closest vantage points and would honestly say that the hits occurred at the same time. An NFL line judge would have trouble with that in the replay booth.
It was a little unfair because we had a ton of blasters (although they had a water source.), 4 or 5 of which were CPS 2000s
The second hill round was more fair and less fair. We did bring 4 CPS 2000s and a 12K just as backups, but the attacking team also had a respawn point on the same side of the creek, making it faster to spawn and continue fighting. Thus, the defense was better equipped to last and the offense was quicker to regroup.

There were several disputes about kills. What happened is that Will or Jack, don't remember which, would come rushing up to Scott and Jon, unload, and claim to hit them first, before continuing to fight and ignoring their hits. Some of these shots fell short and the ones that did hit were mostly droplets that were too small or scattered to count. I'm sure that a couple were kills, but the majority were not close or fired way late. It wasn't really that as much as continuing to fight and claim kills well after definitely being hit. I know I shot them several times afterward just as insurance, because they wouldn't go back to respawn. I also somehow died once in that round despite never actually being hit. Only M4 was even close, twice. Thanks to the hill, every other shot was short or wide. Obviously the stats won't ever be perfect and I don't really care if there is a missed hit or ghost death every now and then. However, if someone at these kinds of wars claims a first hit with like a 2500 against a shotblast from high ground, it probably happened. It's far more likely to get hit from the high ground than it is to deliver the hit up. I got 5 kills shooting up and like 17 shooting down for a reason.

The thing with Jon being hit 6 times was because of these disputed hits, some of which were obviously written down despite being contested as short or late. If he said he was only hit twice, I'd be inclined to believe him. Everyone who was there in the Saturday rounds before this took their hits and eliminations honorably. There wasn't a single issue in OHK, where lives matter way more than OHS. With the understanding that there are many rounds played and having been to this kind of war before, why would Jon lie about hits in an OHS objective round? That doesn't make much sense. Jack and Will have done this before, too, against the same opponents, so what I think happened was a misunderstanding about the rules of that round.

What we could do to improve this situation is make sure everyone knows the rules of the round before breaking up into teams and starting it. This is why Ridgewood wars eventually had a written ruleset. Since we play many different kinds of rounds, we can't do that in these wars, but we can tell everyone the rules and make sure they understand those rules before starting each round. I guess we could write up some standard rules that tend to be used regardless of the type of round, like what constitutes a hit, where you can be hit, etc. I know there was one I didn't take at first because I didn't think head shots counted, as I've been so used to them not counting.
I didn't actually hit anyone, but I came really close to hitting DX, and I almost got Scott with the spray when the balloon smashed into a branch above him. It's probably a good thing that I missed DX though; I couldn't really tell from where I was, but it looked like it was headed straight for his face. I was only maybe 75 feet away, so that would probably have hurt quite a bit.
That was more like 40ft away, because I was about to fire at you when I saw you take aim with the launcher. So, instead I took cover behind the only solid object there, that narrow little tree and tried to make myself as narrow as possible. The sabot slammed into the tree with a BOOM and the thing shook. The wind took the water from the balloon to the left and the sabot fell to the right a bit. Don't worry, you wouldn't have hit my head because I was shielding it with my 2000 haha.

We definitely need to make smaller water balloons, since they were getting stuck in the sabots and not coming out. You'll notice this in the video, where I'm just shooting pringles cans at the boats, lol. The offense was able to pick these up and use the balloons again. At least 0% of them popped in the barrel. Hopefully we did a good job of cleaning up the stuff afterwards. I picked up a lot of balloon remnants and we got all but 2 of the sabots back. That round needs more launchers though, one just doesn't have the ROF to be effective, as I thought from that dream I had about the round earlier. I know that the defense won that round, but I don't know the stats from it yet.

One thing I found really interesting was the rivalry M4 and I appear to be having at the top of the killing list. In 2011, our average hits made per game was

DX 4.7
Marauder 4.6

and in this war it was

Marauder 6.5
DX 6.4

Likewise, I had a higher kill count and played more games last year, while this time M4 had a higher kill count and played more games. Since he won't be at this year's Downpour, we'll have to wait until 2013 to see if this trend continues.

I'll post a full battle report later and I have pics to get up tonight.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue May 22, 2012 5:18 pm

SEAL wrote:
The seventh round was a timed OHS round. It was pretty boring right up until the very end when we had a comeback going, but the time ran out before we could get ahead. I thought the score was 5 to 4, not 5 to 3.

The tenth and final round was the only one played on Sunday (aside from a small soakfest.), and it was one of the most epic. We played a D-day style invasion, where we had 8 people in canoes attacking 5 people on the shore. It started out as OHK, but we changed it to OHS. Each side got one WBL. I was on the attacking side with my Douchenator, and me and Candice (That was her name, right?) would pull up close to the shore (I actually got a lot closer than I probably needed to.) and I'd fire off water balloons at the defenders. I didn't actually hit anyone, but I came really close to hitting DX, and I almost got Scott with the spray when the balloon smashed into a branch above him. It's probably a good thing that I missed DX though; I couldn't really tell from where I was, but it looked like it was headed straight for his face. I was only maybe 75 feet away, so that would probably have hurt quite a bit. I still don't know who won; M4 is going to tally up the points.

I will start typing a battle report soon, before I forget everything.
I thought the OHS game was 5 to 4 also, I even called it out, but when I talked to everyone after the war about who they hit/who hit them it only added up to 5 to 3. No one could account for the 4th hit.

There were a lot of close calls with the WBL. You shot it about a foot past my leg, which was pretty scary. Later on when I had the WBL on one shoulder, and the 2000 on the other (we needed a pic of that) I shot it at Keith but I shot it a little low. It hit the ground at his feet and splashed up on him, which wasn't a hit. In the lake battle you fired your launcher at DX and it shattered on the tree he was hiding behind. What made it so epic was the tree was barely 6" wide, so it shattered right at face level and splashed around him.

We actually had 8 serious rounds at Hydropocalypse vs 7 at Downpour. It didn't feel like as many, however, because we spread them out over 3 days, rather than 2.

I need to work on my quickness and agility so that I can be better at dodging. I will be doing plyometrics again once I'm back in the states. I never had a problem of running with the 300, but it's a lot more difficult to dodge with. The 2000 is my 1hk weapon, but I think I've adopted the 300 as my 1hs weapon. Not sure what would be best in a respawn CTF event; probably some other gun. Overall this was A LOT of fun, and I really hope that Downpour 2012 ends up being just as awesome. Please, everyone, invite your friends, cuz my cousins and I won't be able to make it this year. Lastly, everyone post your pics/vids of this war so we can all see them.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu May 24, 2012 3:07 pm

I envy all who are able to participate in these events!

Great job at both organizing these events and making it a fun-filled time for all! I love seeing pics and reading stories from these true community events. All you guys ROCK for making it happen!

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri May 25, 2012 6:33 pm

We had 19 people overall, but no one battle had more than 15, cuz people came and went. DX, Scott, and Belisaurius all have pictures they need to put up here...

Here's the video of the lake war http://youtu.be/4Hknjqe5Alg I didn't know what youtube meant as far as making it not so shaky, so this Nov I'll have to upload a new version without the black on the sides.

Also, if you came to the war, please give me your thoughts on things you liked and things you want to see in the future. I'll start:

Things I liked: WBLs, battle with canoes, defense/attack hill, 1hs around the creek below the hill, zombies, capture the flag with 2 flags per team

Things I want to see in the future: more waterballoons filled before battling, air pressure only round(s), smaller balloons for the WBLs, more WBLs, canoe vs canoe battle(s)

DX

Post by DX » Fri May 25, 2012 9:55 pm

Unlike Downpour, I have very few pictures from this war...

marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Belisaurius

Post by Belisaurius » Sat May 26, 2012 9:31 am

I'll get my pictures up here this weekend. This was an awesome way to spend the weekend and I definitely had fun at the battles. It was definitely different from the team rivalry battles I used to do but not in bad ways or anything. My quick thought is that it was a lot more set-piece/scenario based than what Waterbridge/RM used to do. Definitely a great time!

:ss50:

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:24 am

Hi all, been a while! Sorry I haven't been on, after I got back I had the to go through the two most stressful weeks of school in my life! I have basically forgotten every thing about the war, I only remember little bits and pieces so I doubt I will be writing any war stories about it. After that, I got really worried to the point of paranoia about coming back with nothing so I dropped out for a while.

Any way I'm back now and will try and get my pictures up soon. By the way, how do you upload pictures to this site? In the past, I have always used that uploader thing, but you can only add like 3 per post and they have to be really small. I think my dad also got some video footage so I will get that edited and up as well.

Most the stats seam pretty good, though the at the OHS night round, I think the final was 11-12 (we had 11), or at least that is what Ben said afterward. Though when I tallied it up, we had 12 too so I'm not sure what happened there. The only other round that isn't right is the 2nd hill defense round. Don't know for sure how many hits I got, but both me and John got half a dozen kills on Jack and Will alone, it could be more, I lost track after that. I don't know about others, but from what little I remember of that round, I know I got 4 others as well, I hit one of the girls when she was coming up the middle, and another group of 4 latter who came up the side (though I think two of them were Jack and Will), that is one of the times I got hit, on that charge they did hit me the same time. Any way, even with some of the rule breaking, this was the best war I have ever been too, my favorite rounds have to be the night OHS, the night "switch sides" round, and the second hill defense round even though it was annoying.

I really got to get a 2K, I had trouble with it at first, but I think I could make good use of it in any game type, especially if I had two Crickets in my pockets! :cool_liquidators:
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:13 am

Scott: Welcome back! :goofy: To upload pictures, you can either embed them in your post (which I don't like to do.), or use a image hosting site such as Photobucket. I'm really looking forward to seeing your footage. I think you and your dad took more movies than everyone else combined.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

scottthewaterwarrior

An apology to the comunity

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:28 pm

I am sorry that I haven't been around the last, well, month. I know many of you have probably been looking forward to all the videos me and my dad took during Hydropocalypse. The last few weeks of school were really stressful, but the last few weeks I really have no excuses, I simply just haven't done it. So I really can't apologies enough since it has really all been on me that the video's aren't up yet. I am now burning the footage onto my computer and will start editing them later today. Some of them are half an hour long so editing might just be slapping titles onto them depending on how much time more advanced stuff takes up. I haven't watched it all yet, but all the videos take up over 6 gigabytes so I have a lot!

Again, I'm sorry I didn't get this all up sooner, but I should get it done soon! :)
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

marauder

Re: An apology to the comunity

Post by marauder » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:26 pm

There's no need to apologize Scott. The responsible thing was to take care of school. No worries man, I know the videos are going to be awesome.

*edit* Merged into Hydropocalypse thread *edit*

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:09 pm

Hey man, welcome back. Like M4 said, there's no need to apologize for being busy doing what you have to do. I can hardly wait to see the videos, especially of the CTF round.

By the way, you're still coming to Downpour, right? We're holding it on the 28th and 29th of this month if you didn't know that.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

scottthewaterwarrior

Re: An apology to the comunity

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:08 pm

marauder4 wrote:There's no need to apologize Scott. The responsible thing was to take care of school. No worries man, I know the videos are going to be awesome.

*edit* Merged into Hydropocalypse thread *edit*
That's no prob, wasn't thinking to clearly or I would have put it here to begin with.

I've been done with school for 3 weeks! That's what I mean by I don't even know what happened. But I am working on it now, the CTF game is already edited! I will see what I can do about uploading it as I go.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:43 pm

Double Double Post! Post!

Just got the first bit of video footage uploaded. It is pretty good though next time I am going to insist that my dad use my stabilizer the whole time, since it gets about twice as shaky without it. Now I have eliminated just about all the rattles from the design too! (That is what you get from building it out of Rokenbok - A toy building system)

Hydropocalypse - Day 1 - Round 0 - Set up

Hydropocalypse - Day 1 - Round 2 - CTF

Hope to get day 2 edited and uploaded too! Though I have no usable footage from the 1HS round, at this point I think I am going to give up the idea of a first person water war camera until I find I better way to do it. Taping it to the gun has too many variables, it worked great on my test run with the Colossus, but getting the position just right is hard and I think the position must be different depending on what gun you are using. I might see if I can rig up a mount for my bike helmet since I don't know any better ways to get footage if every one there wants to battle other then having one person film and battle. Maybe I will bring a tripod to NY though so we can just set it up in a common area that will probably see a lot of action.