2012 Community War

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
atvan

Re: 2012 Community War

Post by atvan » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:01 am

I love how the forum dies for a few days while everybody is out fighting. :goofy:

marauder, what's wrong with snow? :D Seriously, I think that would add a new aspect of fun to it all. (plus camo would be easy to come by- just get a white coat, maybe with some stick-like patterns if you can)
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

scottthewaterwarrior
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:25 am

That was a great war, could have been better, I agree, but still really fun. Though like all wars, I feel like C*** now and everything hurts!
I might try to write at least a basic war report for this one, I'm sure others will make some, but much of the fighting was so fast paced that even when we were near each other most of us weren't aware of what our teammates where doing beyond "he's covering the guy on the left." We will have to see though. I have less footage from this war then from others, I think I only have at most 5 rounds on camera, and the OHS in Thunder Gulch (nearly called it Blood Gulch :goofy: to much RvsB!) I didn't get very well (the camera missed what little action there was). Any of this will have to wait, I still have 3 more rounds from the last war to edit (2 1/2 really) and I am way to busy this week to do it.

For now, I will just add coments to what have already been said:
SEAL wrote: We didn't have any battles on friday, since Scott's group didn't arrive until it was dark out, but we had a round early the next morning. It was a 15-minute OHS game I believe; me and my brothers vs. DX, Scott, and Bela (that's how it's spelled, right?). My team won 2-0, with me getting the only kills in the game.
Yeah, sorry about that, we had to switch cars, I really hope the van isn't too broken, it would be a lot easier if I had my own car at Brickfair.
Yes, that is how you spell it.
That round was really fun, but I wish I had gone back to the car, all we had in the tent were an XP 105 and an Arctic Blast. The 105 turned out to not be very good, but the feel in my hands is so good (better then my Vindicator) that I still feel like I can charge a 2K with it! :goofy:
After another frickin' downpour (why the heck did we have to call this war that!? :goofy: ), we decided to play a more conventional round, a Thunder Gulch redo, this time with heavy-caliber blasters! Me, Keith, and DX vs. Jon, Scott, and Bela. This round was a LOT different than last year's. Whereas then each team had double-digit scores, this time both teams started out ultra-defensively, and my team ended up winning 1-0. The only kill in the game was a result of awesome teamwork between me and Keith; Bela was hiding under the ledge right below us, my brother drew him out, and I blasted him nearly point-blank in the shoulder with a 5X blast from my 2700.
I still think Bela had a kill on Keith if the Vindicators trigger hadn't failed, the shot went right at him but stopped at his feet because the valve broke halfway open. Most of the rounds I thought were really good, but I think Thunder Gulch requires more people, with only 3 on 3, it is next to imposable to clime the other side (especially when wet) because it is so obvious when someone is missing from the group AKA trying to make a run for it. I hope we have more people next year since that round would have been awesome with more people. I also think 15 minutes is a bit short.
Once again, we played HTL, I was with Jon and Bela, while everyone else defended the cliffs. Even though my team had two Douchenators, we still lost without getting a single kill. It was the most unbalanced round that I think I've ever played in (much more so than the second defense game at Hydropocalypse.), and it was unfortunate that I had to be on the disadvantaged side. Basically, we picked a spot by the cliffs that looked like it'd be the easiest on the offense, but the terrain absolutley STUNK for us; it was very hard to dodge on, and there were a ton of big trees, rendering the WBLs almost useless, though I did come close to hitting people twice. I don't know if we'll even count the stats for this one, since it was so imbalanced.
If we are going to strike that one from the record (probably my best round all day) then I want the piston round last year gone too, LOL! :lol: At least you didn't end up with 20 something deaths!

And one correction, the rain started Saturday night at 12:30am Sunday morning, I know since I woke up just before it started and looked at my watch, then is got very loud. :goofy:

I think it is really funny that at least in all the serious battles, Bela was the only one (I think) to score a kill on DX! I have a lot more respect for his skill level now then I did before.

And I just knew my new guns would come in while I was gone, the mail was delayed due to the extreme heat, mom says the came in Friday afternoon! Of coarse they couldn't come in before we left, even with the time to switch cars! Sure hope they work, I have yet to open the box, but I don't know what else could come in a box that size other then a 1K and 12K. My dad hasn't opened it so I am guessing he isn't expecting anything (besides Weird Al CDs, but they wouldn't weigh that much :goofy: ).
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

DX

Post by DX » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:14 am

Downpour 2012 Stats:
Rob is Duxburian on the forums, Brandon is SEAL, Scott is Scott the Water Warrior, Jon is BoogieBoard2

I am reluctant to strike anything from the record because it would set a bad precedent. It's impossible to know if a round will be badly unbalanced until it's actually played, especially for rounds in new places. These rounds are learning experiences and help us improve things for next time.

Saturday:

Round 1: 3v3 Team OHS
Time Limit: 15 Minutes
Playing Area: The "Freezer", Onteora Lake
Result: 2 - 0

Winning Team:
Brandon (CPS 2700)
Keith (CPS 1200)
Jon (Arctic Blast)

Losing Team:
Bela (Arctic Blast)
Rob (CPS 2000)
Scott (XP 105)

Hits Made:
Brandon: 2 (Scott, Bela)
Bela: 0
Jon: 0
Keith: 0
Rob: 0
Scott: 0

Hits Received:
Bela: 1 (Brandon)
Scott: 1 (Brandon)
Brandon: 0

==================

Round 2: 4v2 Hold the Line (Air Pressure Only)
Playing Area: Wooden Train, Dug Hill
Result: 12 DEF - 5 OFF and Defense survived

Winning Team:
Brandon (WW Colossus)
Jon (WW Colossus)
Rob (WW Colossus)
Scott (WW Colossus)

Losing Team:
Bela (WW Equalizer)
Keith (XP 270)

Hits Made:
Scott: 7 (Bela x6, Keith)
Keith: 3 (Brandon, Jon, Scott)
Bela: 2 (Jon, Scott)
Jon: 2 (Bela x2)
Rob: 2: (Bela, Keith)
Brandon: 1 (Bela)

Hits Received:
Bela: 10 (Scott x6, Jon x2, Brandon, Rob)
Jon: 2 (Keith, Bela)
Keith: 2 (Rob, Scott)
Scott: 2 (Keith, Bela)
Brandon: 1 (Keith)

==================

Round 3: 4v2 Hold the Line (Air Pressure and small CPS)
Time Limit: 10 Minutes
Playing Area: Playground, Dug Hill
Result: 9 OFF - 3 DEF, but Defense survived

Winning Team:
Bela (WW Colossus)
Jon (CPS 10K)
Keith (XP 270)
Scott (WW Vindicator)

Losing Team:
Brandon (CPS 1200)
Rob (CPS 12K)

Hits Made:
Rob: 5 (Bela x4, Keith)
Brandon: 4 (Jon x2, Keith, Bela)
Scott: 2 (Brandon x2)
Jon: 1 (Brandon)

Hits Received:
Bela: 5 (Rob x4, Brandon)
Brandon: 3 (Scott x2, Jon)
Jon: 2 (Brandon x2)
Keith: 2 (Rob, Brandon)

===================

Round 4: 3v3 Team OHS
Time Limit: 20 Minutes
Playing Area: Thunder Gulch, Dug Hill
Result: 1 - 0

Winning Team:
Brandon (CPS 2700)
Keith (CPS 1200)
Rob (CPS 2000)

Losing Team:
Bela (WW Vindicator, broke during round)
Jon (CPS 1500)
Scott (CPS 2500)

Hits Made:
Brandon: 1 (Bela)

Hits Received:
Bela: 1 (Brandon)

=====================

Round 5: 3v3 Hold the Line
Playing Area: Rock Mounds, Dug Hill
Result: 3 DEF - 2 OFF and Defense survived

Winning Team:
Brandon (CPS 2700)
Keith (CPS 1200)
Rob (CPS 2000)

Losing Team:
Bela (CPS 2500)
Jon (CPS 1500)
Scott (CPS 2000)

Hits Made:
Rob: 2 (Bela x2)
Bela: 1 (Keith)
Keith: 1 (Bela)
Scott: 1 (Brandon)

Hits Received:
Bela: 3 (Rob x2, Keith)
Brandon: 1 (Scott)
Keith: 1 (Bela)

=====================

Round 6: 3v3 Hold the Line
Playing Area: Rock Mounds, Dug Hill
Result: 7 OFF - 1 DEF, but Defense survived

Winning Team:
Bela (CPS 2500)
Jon (CPS 1500)
Scott (WW Equalizer/Triple Piston Thing/CPS 2000)

Losing Team:
Brandon (CPS 2000)
Keith (CPS 1200)
Rob (CPS 2000)

Hits Made:
Brandon: 5 (Bela x2, Jon x2, Scott)
Keith: 1 (Scott)
Rob: 1 (Jon)
Scott: 1 (Keith)

Hits Received:
Jon: 3 (Brandon x2, Rob)
Bela: 2 (Brandon x2)
Scott: 2 (Brandon, Keith)

=====================

Sunday

Round 7: 4v3 Hold the Line
Time Limit: 30 Minutes
Playing Area: Valley of Death, Dug Hill Cliffs Across the Street
Result: 8 DEF - 0 DEF, and Defense survived

Winning Team:
Bailey (CPS 2700)
Keith (CPS 1200)
Rob (CPS 2000/CPS 12K/Lacrosse Stick)
Scott (CPS 2500)

Losing Team:
Bela (CPS 10K/CPS 1500)
Brandon (CPS 2000/WBL)
Jon CPS 1500/WBL)

All also had access to hand thrown water balloons

Hits Made:
Scott: 4 (Bela x2, Brandon x2)
Keith: 2 (Bela, Jon)
Rob: 2 (Bela x2)
Bailey: 0

Hits Received:
Bela: 5 (Rob x2, Scott 2x, Keith)
Brandon: 2 (Scott x2)
Jon: 1 (Keith)
Bailey: 0

=====================

Round 8: 3v4 Team OHS (WWN members vs non-WWN members, Air Pressure and 1 small CPS per Team only)
Playing Area: Valley of Death, Dug Hill Cliffs Across the Street
Result: 19 - 6

Winning Team:
Brandon (Colossus)
Rob (CPS 12K)
Scott (Colossus/Dual WW Crickets)

Losing Team:
Bailey (CPS 10K)
Bela (WW Colossus)
Jon (WW Pulse Blaster)
Keith (Colossus)

Hits Made:
Scott: 9 (Bela x4, Bailey x2, Jon x2, Keith)
Rob: 7 (Bailey x3, Jon x3, Keith)
Brandon: 3 (Jon x2, Bela)
Bela: 2 (Rob, Scott)
Jon: 2 (Brandon, Scott)
Bailey: 1 (Scott)

Hits Received:
Jon: 7 (Rob x3, Brandon x2, Scott x2)
Bailey: 5 (Rob x3, Scott x2)
Bela: 5 (Scott x4, Brandon)
Scott: 4 (Bailey, Bela, Jon, Keith)
Keith: 2 (Rob, Scott)
Brandon: 1 (Jon)
Rob: 1 (Bela)
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

DX

Post by DX » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:02 am

Downpour 2012 Stats by Player

Games:
Bela: 8
Brandon: 8
Jon: 8
Keith: 8
Rob: 8
Scott: 8
Bailey: 2

Win-Loss-Draw and Win %:
1. Scott: 6-2-0 .750
2. Brandon: 5-3-0 .625
Jon: 5-3-0 .625
Keith: 5-3-0 .625
Rob: 5-3-0 .625
6. Bailey: 1-1-0 .500
7. Bela: 2-6-0 .250

Hits Made:
1. Scott: 24
2. Rob: 19
3. Brandon: 16
4. Keith: 8
5. Bela: 5
6. Jon: 3
7. Bailey: 1

Hits Made Per Game:
1. Scott: 3
2. Rob: 2.38
3. Brandon: 2
4. Keith: 1
5. Bela: 0.63
6. Bailey: 0.5
7. Jon: 0.38

Hits Received:
1. Rob: 1
2. Bailey: 5
3. Brandon: 8
Keith: 8
5. Scott: 9
6. Jon: 15
7. Bela: 32

Hits Received Per Game:
1. Rob: 0.13
2. Brandon: 1
Keith: 1
4. Scott: 1.13
5. Jon: 1.86
6. Bailey: 2.5
7. Bela: 4

Efficiency
1. Rob: 19
2. Scott: 2.67
3. Brandon: 2
4. Keith: 1
5. Jon: 0.2
Bailey: 0.2
7. Bela: 0.16

No Flag Captures were made as CTF was not played.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:32 am

Wow, y'all played Hold the Line a lot. It is a fun game, but dang. Haha. It's nice to notice a few new blasters being used - Arctic Blast, Pulse Blaster, Colossus. It's also good to see so many people with a winning percentage in the games. At Hydropocalypse, I think only 4 of us actually won more games than we lost or tied. I'm pretty sure the reason there wasn't a tie here is because Dux and I weren't fighting against each other haha. I hope to see some pics and videos soon.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

AMBUSH

Post by AMBUSH » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:55 am

When I used the Arctic Blast I didn't get any kills with it, but the Pulse Blaster I actually got some kills with. I wanted to try something different at this Downpour.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:34 am

Thanks for the stats! I think I got the most kills on saturday, but I couldn't keep it up as well on sunday, and you two passed me, haha. I'd still say it's a definite improvement over last year though. Scott has improved immensely though. Holy crap. Good job dude!

However, you can still be a good player even if you don't have many kills. I got the only kill in the Thunder Gulch battle, but I couldn't have done it if Keith hadn't drawn him out of hiding. Maybe there should be a stat for "assisted kills", haha.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:01 am

Definitely give recognition where recognition is due. Some players are very good team players. I think, at the end of the season, Scot should get an award for "most improved player." This Fall, if we can get together, I'd like to try out some less-used soakers, just to change things up a bit.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:08 am

If it's really cold, I'd rather use smaller-caliber blasters anyway, just because they don't get you as wet as the big guns, and therefore not as cold. I'm really looking forward to this. I hope we can work something out.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:19 am

I will be in Conn visiting my nephews. I'm going to be bringing them my Point Break and Scatterblast. My future sister-in law said they would really like those. I will have 4 ppl willing to fight, including myself, 5 if Anna decides to join us. We could definitely have some interesting battles. I'll probably be wearing underarmor because it's water resistant. I hope it's warm enough to use guns around the size of an XP 65, but if we end up just using pistols it'd still be better than nothing. Maybe I should start a thread for this new battle...

DX

Post by DX » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:51 am

I got the green light to host this and to have everyone sleep over if they'd like. There are 4 extra beds and lots of space in the "barn" for sleeping bags. It's not really a barn, just a large office/lounge type room over the garage. It's carpeted and insulated, with an additional space heater.

As discussed with Ben on Skype, we can use Paine Open Space as a battlefield. My yard borders it and we can access it directly from there. The park is 128 acres and has a variety of terrain. Interesting features include an island in a pond connected by a bridge, with 3 rocky ridges above it on the shoreline, some small, but dense pine forest clusters, a few larger, but not very tall, ridges, a few grassy meadows, and a brook with smaller cliffs around it. The place has no facilities other than a parking lot, but it does have water everywhere in the form of ponds and streams.

I can make a topic if you'd like with full information when I have another bit of downtime today.

AMBUSH

Post by AMBUSH » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:58 am

I hope it is not too cold for the December war. I am going to try to find an Xxp 175 pump before the war.

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:59 am

Dux, start a new topic when you get the chance, then transfer the 4 posts previous to this to your new topic, and delete this one. If you don't have the time, just start the new topic and I'll do the post moving.

Jon, maybe you should start a new topic in the Water Blaster Repairs forum concerning how to go about making a new pump for your 175. Someone who already has a 175 can give you the dimensions of the pump. I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to build one. I'd have some recommendations if I was at home and able to look at my guns/the hardware store, but that's my recommendation for now.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:46 pm

Did I miss a date post or something for this new event? Not that I'd be able to make it right as the school year begins, but I am curious to see what's happening.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:31 pm

A bit late, but I have a few things to say about this war, next year's, and the Dec. war, that I meant to post before but forgot.

First of all, while Onteora Lake is a great battleground, I didn't really think it worked out very well for our needs. That type of place is best suited (I think.) for very large, very serious teams fighting long drawn-out wars (possibly multiple days.). As much as I'd love to have battles like that, as far as I can see it's just not possible at this time. The 3 community wars that I've been to so far have all been more like parties than "wars" (talking about Ridgewood-type wars here.), which is probably the best way to do things given that everyone except the host's group generally comes from out of state and only have 2-3 days. Based on this, I think that Wilson State Park should once again be the go-to campground for Downpour. As I've said before, it's possible to camp out at Dug Hill if you have a reservation, and while you have to live in the town of Hurley, my dad knows some people who do, that he could pay to reserve it using their name. However we would need to get a date very far in advance for this, and I've found from this very thread that it's not at all easy to do. I wish our community was as big as the NIC, where they just pick out a date (say, the first weekend of a month.) and let everyone work around it, instead of the other way 'round like we do. To put it bluntly, we should just stick with Wilson (or any nearby hotels for those who do not like tents.).

Hopefully next year will be big. I have high hopes for it, and I am going to try to push a little harder to get more participants, as I said in my war report. I don't really have much to say about next year, except that we should stick with Dug Hill for fighting (like M4 marauder said, it has a lot of potential that we haven't tapped, and is probably the absolute best venue I've ever seen for the type of wars we hold.), and Wilson for camping. Another goal I have is to try to make more use of the whole day for fighting; as I've noticed with pretty much every war I've been to, we never seem to fight as much as we could be. If I'm driving ~700 miles to a war, I'd want to make the most of it. That's pretty much all I have to say about Downpour 2013. I'll probably make a thread for it sometime early next spring.

Now, about this war in December, I believe it's going to be held on the 1st, right? I am definitely coming, and I'm sure my brothers will too. I may come without my parents, since I'll be 18 by then, and I'll have more space in the car if there are only 3 of us, but that might depend on how bad the traffic can be between here and the war location. As far as the cold goes, I'll probably end up fighting no matter what the temperature is, haha. As long as we have winter coats on, I'm sure we'll barely feel anything (which might be a problem! :!: ), especially if we're only using low-caliber blasters. I'll use CPS in 50 degree weather, but it's probably a good idea if we stick to air pressure blasters and weak CPS (such as Arctic Blasts.) if it's any lower. I doubt snow would be an issue; it almost never snows around the 1st up here, and CT is warmer. DX, you should make a thread for this, so we can start planning. I don't even know where the place is!

We also need a name for the Dec. war. Here are my suggestions: The (Frozen) Water War; Sleetfest 2012; Freezerpocalypse 2012 (or is that a bit overused now?); Icewar 2012; Battle of the Icicles; Frozen Fury; The Most Extreme Water War Ever (which could be shortened to simply "Extreme War.")
~Hotel Oscar Golf~