2012 Community War

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

2012 Community War

Post by SEAL » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:24 pm

Before you write a post begining with the words "SEAL, are you off your meds?!" or "It's far to early..." or "Wow SEAL, how impaitent are you?", let me explain.

First off, I need to know where we want to hold it next year. Because if we're all cool with having it in the same place (I am, because I don't have to drive far! :P ), my dad knows some people who live in Hurley, who he can pay to reserve the pavilion for us (Remember, you have to be a resident of the town of Hurley, and I'm not.). Also, do you remember that lady who showed up and asked us if we had a reservation or something? She said that we can actually camp out in the park if we have it reserved for 2 days or something (I don't remember the details.). Which means... Yep, NIGHT WARS!

The reason I'm posting this so early is, remember when I called the town way back in the spring to ask for reservations? I couldn't reserve it anyway, but those party-goers we saw on saturday had already reserved it. So what I'm saying is, we probably should try to reserve it extra early, to avoid any of that.

Also, my brother was wondering if it's possible to have more than one war each year. Something to think about.

Edit: Please add dates when you'll be free to the Doodle calendar!

Edit #2: Please see this thread for the location.

Edit #3: We are now going with July 28th-29th for our final dates.

Edit #4: Attendance list so far:

Duxburian
scottthewaterwarrior+1
SEAL+3 (possibly 4 on Sunday.)
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

isoaker

Re: 2012 Community War

Post by isoaker » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:44 pm

Definitely doesn't hurt to start planning early, especially if reserved time slots get booked sooner-than-later. While my own likelihood of being able to physically attend the event is probably on par with my ability this year, if I know there's a good chance of this happening again, I will look into supporting it a little more so.

Are reservations non-refundable? Dare I ask how much does it cost?

While it would be great, somehow I doubt something like this can be done more than once a year for those who need to travel farther. Of course, I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong on that! :goofy:

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:45 pm

I really like the location we had the fight at - especially that gorge. Unfortunately, I will be working overseas until next September or October, so I'm most likely not going to be able to make it. My cousins Jack and Will had a great time and are going to try to get my brother and another cousin to take them next year. I will just have to refer them to here or wherever we have the info for next year's war.

Like isoaker I will do what I can in order to help out. After I get back I have 2 years of college left with a pretty lax schedule, so I will be up for whatever in 2013 and 2014. Maybe by then we can do multiple wars, but for next year you should probably just stick to 1 and aim for boosting the turnout. :soakthemall:
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

atvan

Post by atvan » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:29 pm

I'd love to go! This time, I have more time to pester my parents about it, and maybe make it a reality. Also, would love if it was not at the same time of year, there is other things going on then.

Of course, if I go, and meet scott, then I'll have to pester my parents about meating up with him at brickfair for a duel or 2 and a lego fan meetup. I've started to fall back on their products recently though…
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:15 pm

I'd love to have it in southern California, so that I can attend. But I don't think that would work for most people. :(

Maybe I should host a California Community Summer War. For people that live around me and can't attend this one.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:19 pm

martianshark wrote:I'd love to have it in southern California, so that I can attend. But I don't think that would work for most people. :(

Maybe I should host a California Community Summer War. For people that live around me and can't attend this one.
Having multiple venues on different dates would be great! You never know if someone from the community would be able to attend multiple events. The biggest problem we face is that not only are most members not as mobile, but for even those who are, getting around takes time and gets expensive.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:31 pm

The venue is around New York? That's not too far from me, 5-6 hour drive, less with speeding :)
It depends on my work schedule. I plan on working with a mining company, and different companies operate very differently. I'd love to join anyway, so we'll see.

atvan

Post by atvan » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:28 pm

@Martianshark- have a duel with strato. Also, give me back my sig. I'm serious.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Beware the Purple

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:55 am

After the bs that happened last time, I'd say that there's a high chance that I probably won't be able to make it if it involves driving out. Or at the very least, I cannot make any guarantees until it actually happens. If anyone wants to come to Michigan however, I wouldn't mind hosting a community war at my own backyard.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

DX

Post by DX » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:48 pm

The problem with MI is that instead of just sticking M4 with the shitty drive, it would stick almost everyone with it, while not making M4's drive any better either. The whole attendance of the 2011 war was eastern seaboard. I would be looking at 11 hours, 27 minutes, without traffic. If by that time I am living in Washington, DC, it would still be 9 hours, 26 minutes. If we want to increase the attendance rate, that's not the way to do it. The most optimal location to reduce driving times as much as possible appears to be in the Mid-Atlantic region from New York to Virginia, and not too far off the coast. Hurley is off a bit, but it is well-served by 87 and not impossibly far from 95.

Midwest and west coast wars can work if you can find a good amount of people in the area. Some of us would of course still make that trek to Michigan, but it would change the war a lot (close to or over 24 hours could be spent just driving).

Camping out at the war site would be awesome if it can be arranged. I also still really want to have a naval battle. I know that the lake at Wilson was disappointing, so it would be great if another place can be found.

Other thing I really want to see happen is a water balloon launcher battle. A round with only homemade launchers, slings, lax sticks, and whatever else can be used to launch water balloons. So, we need to make some (and check to make sure they don't have a massive air leak before leaving home).
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:27 pm

CA_99, I hope there are more people in the Michigan area that could get something going with you. Maybe 2013 will be the big year, I will be free to come, and hopefully you will have the freedom to come as well. But I'm still looking forward to next year's war even though I'm 99.99% not gonna make it.
DX wrote:Camping out at the war site would be awesome if it can be arranged. I also still really want to have a naval battle. I know that the lake at Wilson was disappointing, so it would be great if another place can be found.

Other thing I really want to see happen is a water balloon launcher battle. A round with only homemade launchers, slings, lax sticks, and whatever else can be used to launch water balloons. So, we need to make some (and check to make sure they don't have a massive air leak before leaving home).
:lol: THIS

My cousins are really looking forward to next year's war, and they have 2 LAX sticks. I have been wanting to build a launcher for a while now, but I have other things to take care of until next Fall when I will be free indefinitely. Speaking of launchers and Fall, you can fire snowballs from a pneumatic waterballoon cannon, but has it been done? And if it has, is it too dangerous to use in snowball fights?
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:23 pm

My parents may let me go to MI; you're in Troy, right? I can cut through Canada to get there, since I'm going to get an extended license that will allow me to do so without a passport. I won't be able to bring anyone other than my brothers though. Are there any good spots in your area?
Of course, we could also have one here, and I could drive to MI some other time in the year. My brother wants to go fishing in the Great Lakes, so maybe I could work something out.

DX: There is a pretty big lake nearby that we swim at all the time, around 1/2 hour from Wilson up route 28, that rents kayaks, paddle-boats, and rowboats. I think it's open from Memorial Day to Labor Day. You'll have to pay an entry fee, as well as a fee for renting the boats. I don't remember how much.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

atvan

Post by atvan » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:22 pm

m4- you would need pressure-rated CPVC to be safe- cold plus low temps plus PVC plus moderate pressure equals boom.
Beware the Purple

DX

Post by DX » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:24 am

One source I looked at shows a section of 1/2" PVC pipe that failed catastrophically at 23 degrees (F). It has a hole with two long cracks. There's also a graph showing that the pipe is 4x more brittle at 14 degrees than it is at the optimal, around 65-75 degrees. Keep in mind that these numbers are for water and another source puts the lower limit at -13 degrees. The barrel is not too much of a concern if you use good sabots, where the snowball wouldn't actually touch the PVC itself. The obvious problem is the PC, although I'd imagine that cold air would be fine for a while. I still wouldn't trust a PVC launcher in a snowball fight.

I couldn't find a lower limit for CPVC, however I know that it does become brittle at a slower rate. And at room temperature, the rating of a 4" pipe of CPVC is evidently as much as quadruple that of PVC of the same size. Good luck making a cost-effective CPVC launcher though. You may be able to find 3" CPVC in a store, but good luck finding fittings that big. You'll likely need the internet and shipping will be annoying.
DX: There is a pretty big lake nearby that we swim at all the time
That sounds feasible, but how is the management? Are they strict about the rentals or pretty laid back? And would they care if I brought my own kayak? I own a surveying kayak which would be pretty good for a naval war, as it's more maneuverable than most, weighs only 28lbs, and floats in about 4 inches of water.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:34 pm

The earlier we can decide on a date, the better. If we could possibly have it in September, M4 might be back by then (As long as no one kills him.), and he could come. Because I've been having battles for the past 4 days (Temperature is between 60 and 80 degrees F.), and it really doesn't feel that cold. Of course, we aren't using blasters with really high output, but I'm hot most of the time. And this is October mind you. The one trouble with having it so late is that most people have school/college to attend (In fact, I myself will probably be going to college by then.).

Either way, we should get one of those calendar things that we had last year, so we can decide on a date that's good for everyone.

DX: I don't think they'd let you bring your own kayak. They're fairly strict; one time some teenagers were fooling around, knocking each other off their kayaks, and the management sent a boat out after them. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure they'd even let you bring water guns with you, since they don't let you take any kind of toys into the swim area. I'll have to look into it.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:39 pm

lol wow, such an encouraging way to put it.

September is probably not a good idea. Not only because I'm not sure exactly when I'll be back, but because a lot of our members will be in school. As for not having toys in the lake, that is just another example of why we southerners think there are a lot of rule nazis up north. Sad sad sad. I am all for planning ahead, but I think that you should wait until next Spring to decide on a date. We will have new members then.

DX

Post by DX » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:57 pm

I want a 2v2 round called "Robs vs Bens". And then a 4 way free for all where if SSC Ben wins, everyone has to invent a new homemade. If M4 wins, everyone has to host a water war...in Afghanistan. If iSoaker wins, everyone gets hosed with every model of soaker known to exist. And if I win, everyone gets to pay off my student loans :p

atvan

Post by atvan » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:21 pm

Lol.

W could have a letter war. I'm a J, I think SEAL's brother AND M4's cousin? (rambog4 or whatever). Would be fun.
Beware the Purple

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:09 pm

Then I'd be all alone, unless there's more than one B (If someone I know were to attend.).

In other news, I've found another battleground, which in my humble opinion, FAR outclasses Dug Hill in terms of pure awesomeness. There's one hitch however; it's on city (NYC) property, and you need a (Hunting & fishing.) permit to go there, so I doubt we could hold it there.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

atvan

Post by atvan » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:36 pm

An epic but dangerous and crowded place for a war would be Rickett's Glen State Park in Northeastern PA. Waterfalls and cliffs...
Beware the Purple