Water Warfare Event Announcements

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
DX

Re: Water Warfare Event Announcements

Post by DX » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:48 am

DX: I've never heard of Tenleytown before. Do you mean Tarrytown? Because Tarrytown is about an hour and a half from where I am. I don't know about Tenleytown though.
I was replying to Scottthewaterwarrior, who is listed as in living in Bethesda. Tenleytown is a neighborhood in the District of Colombia practically next to Bethesda. 2 hours north of NY isn't far away, though it would be more like 3.5 coming out of Easton. I don't see why we can't travel distances to shoot each other with water when nerfers routinely travel distances to shoot each other with foam darts. I've fought a water war in MA, NY, and NJ vs a nerf war in ME, MA, CT, NY, NJ, PA, and MD. When you filter that for major wars with double-digit participation, the water war list falls to just NJ vs major nerf wars CT, NY, NJ, PA, and MD. It's not hopeless though, even the biggest of nerf wars started small. Apocalypse, the premier East Coast nerf war routinely draws over 100 players, but the first one I attended drew 16 and it was held at Mill Creek, a park for much smaller scale fighting. Course, one problem with water warfare is that it requires a lot of space. Even Deal is too small for a big water war. The composite Goffle Brook park in Ridgewood could probably support only 12v12, and that place is 2.5 miles long from end to end.

I am totally in agreement with C-A_99 that good water warfare venues need good cover. Perhaps not the density where you can't see the enemy 5ft in front of your face, but lots of trees can suffice. I enjoy rugged terrain, though, the more challenging the more fun. More cover and space to move allows you to call more interesting tactics.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:01 pm

Personally, I prefer the more solid sort of cover; shrubbery over trees for example, but things like large rocks, walls/buildings, etc. would be ideal. Most trees and foliage does not even count as cover at all, as it protects you neither visually nor from water. Tall grass, plants, etc. that conceal when one is prone is also not cover; that leads to slow-moving wars. Most areas that take place in the woods are devoid of sufficient solid cover.

I'm more open when it comes to battleground size. I prefer places where excessive physical exercise isn't necessary; I would say anything over a mile long is too large for almost any situation. As for terrain, variation is cool, but I don't like having to deal with twigs, rocks, etc. too much as they demand careful movement at higher risk of injury. I'd say that grass, and concrete are the better surfaces for water wars.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:54 am

Just a reminder that this thread exists!

If you know of a public water war/water fight event, even if it is on the day of the event, please post event details here. Others around may be interested, willing, and able to attend as well!

Soak on!

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

DavidTheDankEngine

Post by DavidTheDankEngine » Tue May 19, 2015 10:12 pm

Anyone up for a water gun war in Prospect Park (Brooklyn, New York) on Saturday May 30th*, say at around 12:00? We'll meet near the water bottle filling station on this map. It's the yellow point in the Nethermead: http://4b7g8h18dm66fuq483vqmyo1.wpengin ... ap-map.png

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed May 20, 2015 12:40 am

Well, I may actually be able to make this. What's the age range you are expecting?
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

DavidTheDankEngine

Post by DavidTheDankEngine » Wed May 20, 2015 12:40 pm

From ages 14 to about 30 so far. Looks like it'll be a small gathering, maybe 15 people.

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed May 20, 2015 2:29 pm

15 is pretty good. Is there any chance you'd be able to make it to a community war later on in the year and bring some friends? I could technically make it as I have the money, but I'm trying to save up to buy a house and so the likelihood of me going to New York (it'd be Connecticut for me first cuz of family) not on a holiday is kind of low.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Thu May 21, 2015 12:08 pm

What kind of games are you running?
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Sun May 24, 2015 8:55 am

I'll go if any other members decide to go, and if it isn't just a soakfest. I'll need to borrow a car as well (such as my parents'), because the engine in mine tends to run hot in stop and go traffic. Regardless, I really don't like driving in NYC so it'll have to be worthwhile to attend.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

DX

Post by DX » Sun May 24, 2015 12:14 pm

I'm available on that date. If you don't want to drive into the city, you could pick me up, we could park somewhere in the Bronx, and take the subway. At $2.75 per ride anywhere in the city it's a bargain. What line(s) runs to Prospect Park?
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Stevec

Post by Stevec » Sun May 24, 2015 3:01 pm

Considering I live in the city, and this really close to my home, I'll try to attend as well.
Duxburian wrote:I'm available on that date. If you don't want to drive into the city, you could pick me up, we could park somewhere in the Bronx, and take the subway. At $2.75 per ride anywhere in the city it's a bargain. What line(s) runs to Prospect Park?
The B, Q, F, G trains run to Prospect Park. Depending on where you're coming from you can take either line (BQ, FG). However, if you're coming from the Bronx, the B train will be able to take you straight over there.

edit: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/738 ... 0x2671.jpg

I marked down where the subway entrance for the B is and the exit in order to get to the park and linked it above for reference.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sun May 24, 2015 5:50 pm

Alright, I'm down. DX I assume you're still in your old house; how far is that from the city? Also, would we look weird carrying water guns onto the subway, or is it really true that NYC people never notice anything? =P Also, since this thing probably won't be all day, we should do something afterwards as well.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Sun May 24, 2015 7:05 pm

Can y'all bring tony and danny?

Stevec

Post by Stevec » Sun May 24, 2015 8:30 pm

SEAL wrote:Alright, I'm down. DX I assume you're still in your old house; how far is that from the city? Also, would we look weird carrying water guns onto the subway, or is it really true that NYC people never notice anything? =P Also, since this thing probably won't be all day, we should do something afterwards as well.
I was going around with my CPS 1000 just yesterday and the biggest reaction I heard was "oh wow thats an old super soaker, haven't seen one in years" so I think ya'll will be fine haha.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Mon May 25, 2015 11:57 am

marauder wrote:Can y'all bring tony and danny?
Yeah, DX would have to get a hold of them. It's not a bad neighborhood, is it?
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon May 25, 2015 1:33 pm

No, it's a nice area actually.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon May 25, 2015 9:22 pm

^ I can confirm this. Been there a few times.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Stevec

Post by Stevec » Sat May 30, 2015 10:58 am

Unfortunately due to some poor planning on my part, I won't be able to attend right off the bat. How long do you guys plan on staying at the park for?

DX

Post by DX » Sat May 30, 2015 12:53 pm

We are still here waiting. There is no sign of any water fight, though. We are on the Nethermead at the water bottle filling station.

DavidTheDankEngine

Post by DavidTheDankEngine » Sat May 30, 2015 7:02 pm

Sorry about the long wait guys. Thank you so much for coming to Seal, Duxburian and Tony and Danny for coming. You guys are my heroes! I've been reading about these wars since I was kid and I got to meet you guys today. I'm definitely going to try to make it to the next war that you guys do. This was a great battle. Thank you guys. :cps2500: