Games A Runaway Hit

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
Adrian

Post by Adrian » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:02 am

Hillary Beeman, a 22-year-old associate at a New York City hedge fun, was returning to her apartment earlier this month when she spotted a would-be assassin. Breaking into a run, she bolted into traffic before seeking cover in a trendy East Village Resturant. Too late. The assassin walked in, cooly drew his weapon-a neon Super Soaker-and squirted her, point-blank.

Beeman was the latest fatality of Street Wars, a three-week water-gun tournament dreamed up by Franz Aliquo, a securities lawyer by day. Players pay a $10 entry fee and are given a dossier about their target, whom they try to "kill" with the (water) weapon of their choice. The last one standing gets a cash prize.

Though Aliquo has banned real-looking weapons and all play on subways, not everyone thinks this is the best time and place to host an assassination tournament. "It is not funny in this day and age," New York Mayor Michael Bloomber said before the game launched. Others disagree. After Bloomberg's statement, interest was so high that Aliquo had to cap the game at 150 players. Later this year he's taking the shoot-out to Los Angeles, San Francisco, Amsterdam, and Sydney. And then, maybe, to your home. He's in talks with a reality-TV producer about a spinoff show. -Elise Soukup.

------------------------------------------------------------

Found this on page 12 of the August 22, 2005 edition of Newsweek, the one with Peter Jennings and a "Lung Cancer:Who's at risk?" headline on the cover. The article contains a picture of Beeman and one of her friends posing with clear dime-store guns.

This is cool. Water warfare is becoming a much more popular, and if the tv show takes off, possibly spectator sport. Combined with sponsored SoakerTag tournaments and the resurgance of CPS tech, we may be starting to see a new age in water warfare.

Adrain
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:16 pm

I'd noticed related articles earlier (not to mention finding a bunch of sites that had briefly referenced iSoaker.com as a resource on soaker info), but due to the nature of the gameplay, the Assassination game is still more about stealth and surprise attack as opposed to soaking. Assassin-type games have been popular in some areas (typically colleges and universities) for many years now. Sadly, I don't believe that game's popularity has really done much for increasing overall water warfare popularity.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:20 pm

^^^I dunno...I see this as a BIIIGG step forward if we're getting huge tournaments in multiple cities, a possible tv show, all in addition to the "regular" stuff that goes on.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:13 pm

hehe.. I guess I've grown waaaaaaaaay too pessimistic regarding things. While I'd love to see an increase in general soaker/water warfare interest, I'm not sure that a TV reality program showcasing the 'Assassins' game, while using water guns, will be actually good in promoting a better acceptance of water warfare. Now, if there were a TV reality show about one-hit-kill team soaker games, that'd be different. Then again, better 'Assassins with water guns' as opposed to a show like 'The Bachelorette 3: Third Time Lucky?' :goofy:

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

LIGHT ANNIHILATOR

Post by LIGHT ANNIHILATOR » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:21 pm

What tv show are you talking about and what channel would it be on.
E3:2006: Tune to G4 for live E3 coverage in May for info on the hottest new consoles and games.