Soaker Combos

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
the oncoming storm
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Soaker Combos

Post by the oncoming storm » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:29 pm

Soon my Combo will be a cps 1200 equivalant homemade, a XP 70, and mabye A hornet, and 3 water ballons
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:09 am

I'm thinking a CPS 3000/3200 with a Powerpak or a Splashzooka, probably with a Splashzooka, so then I don't have to wear two backpacks at once. (I don't know how that is possible anyway.)
I'd have to get my hand on those soakers first, because with what I have any one would easily beat me.

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:32 am

What do you currently have? I bought a Powerpak, will probably be using it as a sidearm with my 2000.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:06 pm

You got a Power Pak? That's cool, I've always wanted one, and I'd definitely use one as a sidearm along with a heavy CPS blaster. I'd just make a holster or something for the pistol part. Maybe I'll start looking for them after I get a few CPS primaries.

To get back on topic, I actually don't think I've carried two soakers since Downpour 2011. We had a bunch of backup soakers in some of the Hydropocalypse rounds, but I didn't actually carry them while fighting. Oh, I guess I sometimes use the Douchenator along with another soaker, but that was only in the first round at Hydropocalypse. In the naval round I didn't have any soaker with me (my 2700 was filled and ready, and no one else used it, but I didn't want to take it on the boat.), and in the cliff assault game at Downpour this year, I had a 2000 laying on the ground.

The only time I'd consider sidearms would be for very long OHS or CTF battles. Otherwise, I've always been able to go through the entire round without refilling once.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:37 pm

if i had tarantulas, i would have 2 for sidearms, my modded backpack cps 2500 with a cps 1000
( i've realized that spherical cps guns pump smoother, easier, and faster than cylinder cps guns)as my primaries. a tanker, a medium cps, and dual wield full auto guns that are actually good.
huh, reminds me... WHY IS'NT ANYONE SELLING TARANTULAS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

DX

Post by DX » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:11 pm

They are very difficult to come by. The model wasn't very popular to begin with ($) and has never been widely available as far as I've seen. Ease of pumping is a model by model and individual soaker by soaker thing. The main 2000 I used at Downpour and Hydropoc pumps unusually smoothly for a 2000. My 12K pump is a rock wall with only 30 balloons. The HPL of the soaker matters as well - the higher the limit, the faster and harder you can pump.

I'm personally still looking at single soaker loadouts. I'll be switching 2000s now that I've done testing on all of mine. That will add field life in battles where a 2000 is called for. In all else, my 12K and Colossi have never run out of water in a serious round. Watching Jon take shot after shot with my 1500 also indicates that thing doesn't run out, either. For scenario battles, leaving backups at the spawn points or other key places works great for both offense and defense. In that kind of battle, it's more effective to drop a 2000 and pick up a 2000, than to carry a 2000 and a weaker gun at the same time.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:36 pm

Ah, but what if you are away from ammo and weapons? it would be safer ifyou were to at least carry some sort of backup. afterall, isoaker and many other people say in their reviews that cps and monsters drain resources in blinks. even if you have a 2000 and an electrostorm, at least you have a backup that shoots quickly (especially in close combat...). THEN, when you've fought your waythrough the mob of "bloodthirsty" rivalsg, you then switch your 2000 with a 2000.

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:36 pm

SEAL wrote:You got a Power Pak? That's cool, I've always wanted one, and I'd definitely use one as a sidearm along with a heavy CPS blaster. I'd just make a holster or something for the pistol part. Maybe I'll start looking for them after I get a few CPS primaries.
Yeah, and it's new in the box :cool:. Apparently this store had it back in their warehouse for a long time and I ended up getting lucky. When I get home I am going to make a sweet leather holster for it which will also be compatible with my Viper and my Aquapak Devastators if I can fix them.
SEAL wrote:To get back on topic, I actually don't think I've carried two soakers since Downpour 2011. We had a bunch of backup soakers in some of the Hydropocalypse rounds, but I didn't actually carry them while fighting. Oh, I guess I sometimes use the Douchenator along with another soaker, but that was only in the first round at Hydropocalypse. In the naval round I didn't have any soaker with me (my 2700 was filled and ready, and no one else used it, but I didn't want to take it on the boat.), and in the cliff assault game at Downpour this year, I had a 2000 laying on the ground.

The only time I'd consider sidearms would be for very long OHS or CTF battles. Otherwise, I've always been able to go through the entire round without refilling once.
The thing is, you don't need a sidearm when you're using a 2700 and there's only 4-6 people that you're fighting against. The need of a sidearm or secondary primary is usually dependent upon game type, number of players, the type of people on your team, and the primary gun you already have to begin with. Maybe I should write an article on this... In the 1hk round of Hydropocalypse I ran out with my 2000 and had to pick up a 1500 and a Vindicator. If I had a Power Pak I could have fended people off at 40 ft range while refilling my 2000 with it. In hold the line we had to keep refilling the 2000 with the Gorgon, Vindicator, and even 300 because it kept running low. I know Duxburian doesn't run out as often with a 2000 as I do, but I also play a lot more agressive and I take 1/2 second tap shots where as he takes quarter second half shots. I believe it's easier for me to get a kill with a little bit longer of a tap shot, but that also comes with the risk of running out twice as fast. Furthermore, Belisaurius was only using a 270 and Tiff was overmatched with a Vindicator facing a 2000; so I had to shoot even more than normal. This all goes back to my point about sidearms - what type of game are you playing, how many opponents are you facing (esp important if you are outnumbered, who is on your team and what weapons do you have, and what primary gun do you already have to begin with.

Duxburian wrote:Ease of pumping is a model by model and individual soaker by soaker thing. The main 2000 I used at Downpour and Hydropoc pumps unusually smoothly for a 2000. My 12K pump is a rock wall with only 30 balloons. The HPL of the soaker matters as well - the higher the limit, the faster and harder you can pump.
This is why I've gotten to the point where it's not just good enough to have a specific gun, but to have a top quality version of that gun. I now have 2 SS 300s. Sure, the one I used at Hydropocalypse was a good gun, and maybe I can clean the nozzle out to get better range; but if the second one shoots 50 ft like Duke's and GJIVs' then you know which one I'm going with.
Duxburian wrote:I'm personally still looking at single soaker loadouts. I'll be switching 2000s now that I've done testing on all of mine. That will add field life in battles where a 2000 is called for. In all else, my 12K and Colossi have never run out of water in a serious round. Watching Jon take shot after shot with my 1500 also indicates that thing doesn't run out, either. For scenario battles, leaving backups at the spawn points or other key places works great for both offense and defense. In that kind of battle, it's more effective to drop a 2000 and pick up a 2000, than to carry a 2000 and a weaker gun at the same time.
[/quote]

The main problem with this is that if you don't do a good job hiding your gun when you cache it, it can be snagged up by the enemy - unless you are playing hold the line. You know this as well as I do, your 11k was taken by Nick or one of his friends, and my 3200 animal was snagged up and used against us once. This is not to say that caching is a bad idea - I've done it before too, but it's also risky. Of course, I think risky is also more fun...
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

DX

Post by DX » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:19 pm

This is why I've gotten to the point where it's not just good enough to have a specific gun, but to have a top quality version of that gun
Amen brother. It's not even enough to have a specific mark, it has to be the cream of the crop. A couple of my 2000s are average, a couple are above average, and one is absolutely incredible, and I never even knew it. That's almost a 10 foot difference and with a gun like this, that is definitely felt on the battlefield. I'm actually going out in a few minutes to retest that one to make sure what I saw yesterday was not a fluke. Likewise, I never plan on selling the 1500 that I brought to Downpour. It's blatantly a different mark than the rest and while it's yet to be tested for stats, I have a feeling that it outperforms the model. The thing just feels unusually well-built when you hold it and fire. I may also hang onto the 2100 MK1s.

I had to make a split-second choice about whether to drop the 21K for the 1021 or continue on with the 21K. I knew it was running kinda low, but the 1021 also is not known for field life. I also didn't want Waterbridge to use the 21K...might have overpumped it and blown up the valve. The 1021 can't be overpumped. So, I left the 1021 on the ground. It ended up not really mattering since we went out of bounds. I agree that caching in an open round is risky and has to be carefully done. Imagine accidentally giving the enemy a fully pumped and ready to fire water cannon?

More people definitely tips the balance in favor of soakers with more field life. In that OHK Hydropoc round, I would have much rather had a 2500 or 1500 than a 2000, but I'd brought nothing in between the 2000 and 12K. I wasn't going to go into that with a 12K, so 2000 it was. Even without a lot of people, the pace of action can determine what works and what doesn't. In that last round at Downpour 2012, there was so much shooting going on that I actually thought I'd run out of water with a 12K. Bailey ran out with the 10K and that effectively removed him from the battle. In that type of battle with a longer time limit, it might actually be smart to strap a Colossus or something to your back. I might try having the 12K on my back, but that might affect agility. I don't have the right body frame to support much on my back. There's a test you can take when starting a powerlifting program that tells you how much you'd benefit from lifting. My score was WTF high, indicating a severe lack of strength in general. Even now, I could only sustain heavy weight on my back for limited time periods. You can either reduce metabolism or eat more to solve this, and I've already tried eating more. Reducing your metabolism degrades your speed, agility, and other anaerobic, alactic-powered skills...not something I want to lose. You can readily convert fast twitch muscle fiber to slow twitch, but you can't convert back. However, despite having no arm strength either, I can take the weight of big soakers on my arms. 2000, 2700, APH, water cannon, not a problem.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:42 pm

You're using your shoulders to carry an on board reservoir gun, as much as you are using your arms. I have fairly weak arms, I started curling with 25 pound dumbells, and even now, I'm only up to 35 - but I have strong shoulders. I can do lateral raises (you lift your arms straight out to the side with the weights and you look like a T) with dumbells as large as some of the guys here who are a lot bigger than me. I definitely recommend working out the shoulders for carrying guns like the 2700, etc. If you want a real workout, carry an MXL around in a 2 on 4 soakfest battle where you're on the 2 man team with no time limit :lol:

I'm more of a slow twitch, high endurance runner, whereas you are more of a fast twitch rusher; which affects our fight styles. Once combat has ensued I run around the battle field a lot; where as you still stalk even after you've been discovered, and and then you sprint or dive. Even so, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to carry a 2L or 3L softpak on your back. The weight is so minimal. Of course, the question is, what would you attach that softpack to? I am currently opting for sidearms that can refil my primary and still have enough power to fend off attackers, namely the Power Pak and my Aquapak Devastators if I can fix them. If I'm going for a sidearm with an on board reservoir I'm counting on my bet that the Python will be able to fill a similar role. If I use a sidearm it will be with a holster.

I have previously used sidearms that aren't strapped down comfortably, and I did not find it much to my liking. Particularly Dominator War II where I had both an XP 150 and a CPS 1000 even though we only had about 6 opponents and were playing 1hk. It was XN's idea, and it's really funny to look back at how the gun I wasn't carry would just bang against my side as we trudged through waist high grass. Using the 105 with the 1700 was a little different since we were having a soakfest and I had the 105 kinda strapped to my backpack. You can get away with the bulkiness more in a soakfest.

These days, I can't stand having anything bulky, ridgid, or unstrapped down that bangs against me. I'm going to be making a holster and softcovers for my Power Pak and 300 for a reason. I don't understand how Scott can run around with Crickets tucked into his pockets, that would drive me crazy... but hey, all that matters is that it works for you.

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:05 am

marauder wrote:What do you currently have? I bought a Powerpak, will probably be using it as a sidearm with my 2000.
Don't laugh at me just because I was a noob when I bought these. I hadn't discovered SScentral and this site before I bought them. Basically, the entire 2011 Super Soaker line except the point break, and I also got a vaporizer a long time ago as a prize, and This is why I am trying to buy some older CPS and XP and SC blasters so I can improve my armory.

DX

Post by DX » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:56 am

No one's laughing, because everyone was new at some point and did embarrassing things, like taking a Max-D 2000 against a CPS 3200 in a soakfest because I didn't know any better.

The great thing is that a good armory can be constructed without breaking the bank. Buzz Bee Toys has the $20 Colossus and Gorgon, among the best air pressure guns ever released, and they can still be purchased in stores. Buzz Bee pistols are pretty good too. CPS 1200s go cheap on Ebay and they are among if not the best in their class. CPS 2500s can go cheap on Ebay since the market is always flooded with them and they are good, versatile primaries for serious battles. Other cheap finds on Ebay include CPS 1000s and old XPs. You can easily develop an armory with good options at each level. If you're ever up further north during a community war weekend, you'd find that we do certain rounds with only certain classes of soakers, so having medium and small guns is important.

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:56 pm

Unfortunatly I live in the south, namely, Florida. I am thinking of getting an XP 150 or two to start out with, and maybe add a CPS splashzooka or something.
By the way, could you reply to my PM about the 150?

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:17 am

I live in the south too. I could hook you up with some better guns if you want.

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:20 pm

I'd like that, only problem is I have barely any money left :x . I spent a large amount of my remaining money on my CPH (like around $120 lol). So I'm trying to start out on cheaper water guns first, to start out with, and as my money slowly grows again, I can get better ones, and maybe even try try to build something like Drenchenator's Riptide or other designs I have in my head.
What guns do you recommend to start out with? I was thinking maybe an XP 150 or two, and a Splashzooka or something, and I'd also like to get it before I go to our waterfight on september 9.

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:41 am

What does your opposition use and what is your price range?

TheSoaker

Post by TheSoaker » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:34 pm

I use my CPS 3000 and my CPS 2500
super soaker cps 2000......SUPER SOAKER CPS 2000!!!!!!!!!1!!!1!!one

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:05 pm

Well, here is what we do pretty much. I have the water guns listed in my profile, and My friend has 1 scatter blast. The group I have a water fight with is just my friends, and we have backyard skirmishes for now, pretty much. We are 7 people, and and we share me and my friend's water guns. We usually go 2 on 5, (With me on the 2 side) and it is pretty fair, although my side has a slight advantage because we are more fit and mobile. We also randomize the players sometimes. We don't really have any level of organization, just soaked and be soaked.
So there is the situation. My friend with the scatter blast, he is really aggressive with the scatter blast, or anything else he has when he is water fighting. He will fight a CPS 2000 MK1 blast to soak the user of the CPS 2000 MK1 with a scatter blast. I am serious. That is why I want something with little pumping or no pumping at all, so I can teach him a lesson. Because he WILL take advantage of long pump times, and use the scatter blast to soak me during the pump times. That is why I am looking for 1 XP 150, and 1 CPS Splashzooka 65 oz. I also want to spend no more than $50. And as I metioned before, I really would like to get it before September 9th.
Just saying, I do hope to make a team out of these 7 people.
P.S. Should we move this to a different thread, because I feel we are hijacking this one.
EDIT: Forget about getting them before sept. 9, we had to change the date to tomorrow, Sept 2. anyways, I want to be able to use them not necesairly tommorow, but at least next water fight. We have them at least once a month.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:32 am

marauder wrote: These days, I can't stand having anything bulky, ridgid, or unstrapped down that bangs against me. I'm going to be making a holster and softcovers for my Power Pak and 300 for a reason. I don't understand how Scott can run around with Crickets tucked into his pockets, that would drive me crazy... but hey, all that matters is that it works for you.
So far those Crickets haven't proved too useful. They were killer during those night wars at Hydropocolypse, and they came in useful during the final Downpour round since I could shoot two targets at once. But other then that I haven't used them much. They don't really slow me down much, the way the pockets in my camo paints are shaped, I can sprint full speed with them. The only thing they limit is my jumping since I can't flex my legs quite enough to make it over high objects. Mind you, without them I can only jump about 6 inches so this doesn't matter too much. :goofy:

The Crickets stand no chance against anything bigger then a colossus so I've been thinking about making holsters for my Vipers. I know I have complained about the field life of them before, but field life matters little if you don't have the power to hit your target.

Are there any threads about making holsters? I don't really know where to start.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:04 am

I'm going to make a guide to making sick holsters out of leather when I get home. If that's too time consuming, CA99 has a guide to belt clip on sorta holster things.