I have an awesome Job

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
Jzian

Post by Jzian » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:03 am

i am a youth worker from mid norfolk looking to create new forms of group activity among young people (8 - 14) and had the idea of creating a paint balling style area only with water guns instead of costly, paint ball equipment. ive looked on the net and there is alot of literature on various type of water guns, but i was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on what would be best. I need a set of about 20 guns that are of a very good quality and will not break easily, and are still good as water guns, what would be the best way to do this? Is there like a good standard, i hear the CPS 2000 is really good but they are difficult to get hold of. I dont mind spending a bit because its my organisation that are paying for it, but bare in mind we are a charity and there are quite alot to buy. Write back with any feedback or ideas or anything creative that i could include in my project. Also what should i consider regarding hand pump ones, electric pump and so on, what do they all mean. Anyway thank you for any help - Adam

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:01 am

Hi, Jzian! Welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately, blasters like the CPS2000 are quite rare to find. However, for group activity for individuals between 8-14, there are probably some respectable stock soakers you can still choose from. Blasters that come to mind include the Super Soaker Flash Flood, Super Soaker Arctic Blast, and Water Warriors Tiger Shark. The Water Warriors Orca is good, too, if the sounds it makes when pumping is not too important for casual water wars. However, for the Super Soakers suggested, some report problems with the triggers. For sturdier soaker designs, pump action blasters like the Super Soaker Sneak Attack and Water Warriors Steady Stream are less likely to have performance failures, but their output is more limited.

Of course, if you can find soakers like the Super Soaker CPS2100 or CPS1200 or Water Warriors Blazer, those would be preferred.

Soak on!

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:30 am

Well, lot of stuff to read from my post, but it's just about the best way to explain it.

Hmm.... Right now I'll try to make it simpler. There are 2 types of guns, the CPS's; old ones you can only get on ebay and the newer ones you can get in stores. The newer CPS's in stores don't have the firepower nor capacity of the older CPS's but still get somewhat close. I would try to avoid air pressure guns since CPS's are generally more user friendly (no pre-pumping, constant pressure, virtually no worries about mist shots, etc.), have unlimited firing angles, and just seem to be more versatile in general (most are also more powerful, but there are exceptions which only exist in older guns). And another thing, avoid the battery powered guns, they're going to be a headache with 20 players.

For the newer, look for the Tiger Shark, Orca, Arctic Blast, and Flash Flood. If you don't mind a little work, a screen removal on the shotgun blasts and a nozzle drill on the small nozzles of the AB and FF are a good idea. The TS and Orca (both not soakers, but from Buzz Bee Toys' Water Warriors series) offer good range and better capacity, but have less of a kick than the AB and FF. Beware, the FF's triggers may break easily, and many people have also had problems with the Orca's trigger. For the AB, we're not quite sure yet, but it may be easier to go with a WW Tiger Shark since they're generally cheaper. For all stock guns, try to find some on sale.

If you still want heavier guns, I would look for guns with spherical PC's (the cylinderical PC guns seem to be the most popular and expensive, with exception to the CPS 1500/1700) Guns like the CPS 1000, 1200, and 2100 are favorite buys for most of us, though I also got a CPS 2700 for a good price. With spherical PC's, you can also do the K-mod, an easy power-enhancing mod that can give your guns 50ft more range. (if you do a pressure relief valve removal you can get more range but it makes the gun more breakable if someone doesn't know how many pumps it can take, etc.)

What I would try to do is get guns of both the older CPS's and the newer ones. For team balancing, distribute similar weapons around. Get a feel for the blasters you get as well. With older CPS's however, there is a small chance you may have to repair over time, but generally they are better built than most modern guns. (beware of the CPS 4100 and 2100, some versions of them have parts that are atrociously designed)

On a side note, with exceptions to the above, you may also want to get cheaper pistols in case someone prefers having an extra sidearm. In this case, Max-D 3000's are an option (though their grip sucks and is too small for most people, and I heard their triggers are also weak but I haven't had problems with mine yet), but I've seen WW hornets in 3's for $10. I would stick to the WW guns in this case.

Anyways, with an assortment of guns (rather than just the same guns), you create more versatility in the battlefield. Some may prefer heavier guns while those who want to carry less, and are able to conserve water may use a lighter one. Also, be sure to tell people to bring any guns they have.

If you want to get creative, there's plenty of documentation on homemades and water balloon launchers around these sites. Don't get too ballistic on homemades, just one or two launchers and/or homemade water guns per team. For homemade guns you can go with the traditional style, or create a huge blasting water cannon who's range surpasses that of any other water gun. (however, such cannons take time to charge up, and water balloon launchers still have tons more range, take 70ft vs 500ft for a general comparison)

Now, game modes. There are a few ways I like to classify a way to do a game. The hit mode, which includes options such as the soakfest, one hit kill, and one hit scores. With this, you can do many combinations of respawning rules, or just plain elimination. The other part of a game mode is the objectives. Capture the flag is one, but having a time limit and doing one hit scores and seeing who gets the highest score is another way. How do we count hits and scores? In general, it's the fist sized hit, and strictly relies on the honor system. If there are problems with at least 20-40% of players who would be dishonest, it may be a good idea to go soakfest instead. For disputes, it may be a good idea to make both players "dead", but disputes where one clearly hit a player first (but can't prove it) can also be a problem, which is part of the honor system where one must react to their hits quickly and appropriately. Overall, there's much documentation on game modes around these sites, and you may want to check them out. If you want to keep it simple and not have to worry too much about this, I'd go with a soakfest, perhaps CTF where you have to drop the flag if you're hit (at all). (adding jails and other elements of traditional CTF may just complicate things, but of course, it's up to you)

And one more thing. Make sure all this isn't a one-time only thing. Try to make it a common, popular event that happens several times over the summer. (or whenever the season allows for it) Really, all those different guns may not be necessary and may cost more, but I just thought that going with 20 guns that are the same would create a repetitive feel.

Edit: Of course, by the time I'm done writing all this, someone has posted before me.

Edited By C-A_99 on 1185895881
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

Aqua_Flash

Post by Aqua_Flash » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:03 am

Which Norfolk are you from? As there is a Norfolk in the United States (in VA from what I can see), but there is also a Norfolk in the United Kingdom so it makes me wonder.

Anyway, even though what has already been said will help, I'll make my recommendation short and sweet.

If you have quite a bit to spend, then most of the CPS Super Soaker's new or old will be a great option. Newer ones like the Flash Flood or Arctic Blast are good, as they are a nice size and offer good soakage, although to get the best from I advise to do a few tweaks (mainly a nozzle drill for the main stream and taking out the mesh screens). These are still quite available. I can't really speak for their reliability on the triggers, as of all the Flash Floods I had once for a while their triggers held up nicely for me, perhaps I was lucky but I don't know.

Now for older CPS Super Soaker's for what you are doing the CPS 1000, 1200 and 2100 would be great, as they are light, don't take many pumps and deliver great performance without really needing any modifying. CPS 1500/1700's are also really good if you want another step up in power that is very managable. However these are harder to find, so eBay is best for these mostly.

I've not mentioned a single thing on Water Warriors guns, this is due to the fact that from the past my experiences with them aren't great, so I can't really recommend them.

Hope this helped you and good luck, sounds like a very enjoyable idea.

Jzian

Post by Jzian » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:53 am

i am from Norfolk, united kingdom, (east england), its actually been really difficult to even find anywhere that sells alot of the guns you guys have been talking about, ive done quite a bit of research. Basically the only main battle gun (not side arm) that somewhere like amazon sell is the Vaporize, i also found another store that sold the water worrior version (apparently slightly better) but as for things like the tiger shark and orca, are really difficult to come by, where doyou guys buy them from? thanks for your help! Adam

Aqua_Flash

Post by Aqua_Flash » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:51 am

Being from the United Kingdom explains why the main ones recommended are hard to come by. I'm from then UK and I know what it is like.

I buy my soakers online (eBay pretty much), shops around me do a very bad selection of them, all you find where I am now are very small not so good soakers sadly, it seems to be like that with a lot of the UK.

I have found a number of UK online places that sells some guns mentioned. I will now list these to help you.

Max Infusion Flash Floods.
Max Infusion Flash Flood @ Play.com

Also, this UK place sells Water Warriors Tiger Sharks as well as the AquaShock Sneak Attack, along with a couple of other smaller arms.
Tiger Shark & Sneak Attack + more

Hamleys also do Water Warriors Blazer's (the Orca's predecessor) as well as again some other small arms.
Blazer plus others at Hamleys

I hope this helps you, searching a few stores trying is good, but since things are pretty limited here you probably won't find much.

If you have anymore questions then feel free to ask.

Edited By Aqua_Flash on 1186070037

cobralex297

Post by cobralex297 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:51 pm

I usually get most of the soakers that I buy from Ebay. Of course, you would have to be willing to cover the cost of shipping and talk to the individual sellers of each product to see if they would be willing to ship to you in the UK, however Ebay offers guns that are much better. I'm not completely sure what the status is, in terms of what would be sold by stores in the UK currently, however Ebay would probably be your best bet. Also, you could try Ebay.De (Germany)~ there are often hard to get soakers there. I often attempt to contact sellers on Ebay.De to try to get them to ship to me in the United States, however the costs are always too high. Being in Europe though, I'm sure that the prices would be much more reasonable in terms of getting it to you, and the actual prices of soakers are definitely reasonable. I would also try Hamleys , as they offer some soakers that I would actually love to get my hands on, but cannot as they are UK-Based and I can't seem to fill out the forms correctly or contact anyone that works there. I am not sure what the status is, in terms of guns available on Ebay.De, but there are often good guns there. I will go check now, and I suggest that you do.

Edit:

I checked Ebay.De, and there isn't much interesting. There is a NIB SS100, that I'm sure will sell cheaply, but i doubt you're interested in that. There is an XP240 as well, and a few of the newer guns. Nothing that's very high in power; nothing that I'd buy if I were in your position.

Edited By cobralex297 on 1186095401