Walkie Talkies - How do you keep them dry?

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
Evangel

Post by Evangel » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:28 am

I can't remember where, but I know I read something on this site mentioning the use of walkie talkies. While it's a good idea for staying in touch with teammates, don't they get damaged when wet?? How do you protect them? Or do you just use really cheap ones?

forestfighter7

Post by forestfighter7 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:38 am

Iv'e used Walkie Talkies twice, The first time they were a complete faliure, the second time they were just unhelpful. I kept one in a plastic bag I kept in my pocket.

The thing is, They just can't get wet, which makes the user nervous about taking it out.
If you would like to join the Superior Water Attack Team please pm me.
The soaker chooses the user, Harry Potter...

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:56 am

They can be useful. In Water War 5 a few years ago, we tuned ours to the same frequency as the opposing team. We also used them to communicate ambushes, and they were great for betraying the enemy's position when someone would call in with a quick quip.

Just be careful they don't come in contact with water.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

Evangel

Post by Evangel » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:05 am

Okay, but what would be a good way to protect them? Plastics seem kinda odd. Perhaps some models have protective sleeve accessories you can buy?

EDIT: Oh wow I think there are special wateproof cases you can buy for walkie talkies. Looks like I got some new items to add to my war shopping list. lol

Edited By Evangel on 1174320697

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:13 am

Why not just put the walkie-talkies into large Ziploc-type bags. They should still work and have the talk button and microphone usable through the plastic bag without having to buy more expensive covers. Never used them during a waterfight, myself, but would imagine they could be useful for larger scale battles over longer distances.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Evangel

Post by Evangel » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:19 am

Meh, too low-tech for my tastes. lmao

I'm all about authenticity, which is why I bought a real ninja uniform rather than some cheap costume. I also bought these industrial safety glasses that I used as tactical glasses, which worked excellent, but then I found ACTUAL military-issue tactical glasses on eBay, so I bought those right away. :cool:

EDIT: There a series called Aquapac that makes all kinds of waterproof cases, including for walkie talkies. Looks like just what I'm looking for. Problem is they're RIDICULOUSLY expensive at $40 each, not even including the cost for an actual walkie-talkie!

EDIT: OH SWEET!! I found waterproof headsets! If I can find a set of walkietalkies or something I can plug those into, that would be totally awesome!

Edited By Evangel on 1174330985

forestfighter7

Post by forestfighter7 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:24 pm

Why not just put the walkie-talkies into large Ziploc-type bags. They should still work and have the talk button and microphone usable through the plastic bag without having to buy more expensive covers.

Yeah, that's what I did. It worked pretty well, But I was still too cautious to feel at ease using them. I personally think that walkie talkies are just another thing to worry about during a war. I personally fight much better when at complete ease.
If you would like to join the Superior Water Attack Team please pm me.
The soaker chooses the user, Harry Potter...

Evangel

Post by Evangel » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:31 pm

Yeah that's kind of another thing I'm worried about. If your job is infiltration, what happens when you're spying and all of a sudden someone tries to call you. Unless you have it muted, the noise is gonna alert all the enemies.

So unless you got a headset I guess you need some kind of total-silence protocol, during which time you'll probably be completely unreachable, although I guess as long as you mute it and not turn it completely off you could still relay info to your squad.

EDIT: I ask about walkie talkies cuz I wanna be able to enhance our tactical coordination, especially when we all need to split up. Unless we had some way of staying in touch, if a major emergency comes up with one of our teammates that screws up our tactical action plan, the others won't know until it's too late, so there's no way we can formulate a backup plan.

Edited By Evangel on 1174332806

XP20Warrior

Post by XP20Warrior » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:41 pm

I use walkie-talkies to help coordinate my team, especially when clearing structures and on recon. I've found them extremely useful and will always have this tool in my arsenal on anyday. Unfortunately for the moment, I lost one of my walkie-talkies at college last semester, so I have to go buy some new ones. isoaker_com's suggestion is what I use; get a Ziploc bag, stick it in, and just carry it around. I don't recommend throwing it into a stream, but it should withstand the blast of a CPS 3200 or 2100.
"Although it is a beautiful place among the stars, danger lurks in the shadows. That's what Alliance Command's for."

-Captain Ivan Reilly
IGA Intrepid
Closing Speeches After the Xidian Wars

Evangel

Post by Evangel » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:43 pm

Ok, so what do you do when you need to do an infiltration job? Just turn it off or mute it or turn it down or what?

XP20Warrior

Post by XP20Warrior » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:04 pm

Yeah, turning the volume all the way down would work. Just keep it handy so you can yell at a teammate if you need backup. That's what we do if we need to keep a low profile.
"Although it is a beautiful place among the stars, danger lurks in the shadows. That's what Alliance Command's for."

-Captain Ivan Reilly
IGA Intrepid
Closing Speeches After the Xidian Wars

Exodus

Post by Exodus » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:49 am

Our team uses walkie-talkies frequently in battle, and just keeps them in their pockets. No-one deliberately soaks our pockets, because it won't show up as well as a torso shot would. We haven't had any problems regarding that, yet.

Using them overly is a bad thing, as the other team could just scan for your frequency and listen in. Yet, I've found it's better to not need them and have them, than it is to need them and not have them.

Our team gets into position, then might radio in to the backup team (or another member who is moving into an ambush spot etc..) but usually informs our members when we are entering combat and switching off the walkie-talkies.