liquid Curiosity

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
Poseidon2000
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Re: liquid Curiosity

Post by Poseidon2000 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:44 pm

Duxburian wrote:I hear that Seal enjoys being drenched in sticky stuff...
hm, how would you know that? It's getting steamy in here! :goofy:

Andrew: that's the point.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:36 am

I've opened a shaken fizzy drink bottle before (and I'm guessing most other peole have at some point), and the stuff goes everywhere, makes a horrible mess, can stain stuff and is a sod to get out if you don't wash it out in time.

As I said, I wouldn't be too keen on being drenched in fizzy drink in a water war. I suppose if everyone agrees with it before the game, then that's up to them.

the oncoming storm
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by the oncoming storm » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:07 pm

CA99 the only thing that surprises me about your earlyer post is that we have rules on here :goofy: ... in my 2 years on here I have yet to see any.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:09 pm

Whoopsies. Guess I better not talk about putting other dangerous things into super soakers, such as aerosol cheese and the ghosts of angry nerds. ;D

While we are on the subject of "things that can be rather dangerous or even life threatening if not done with real care ", what is your stance on bottle rockets? Where people fill pop bottles (or water cooler jugs!) with water and pressurize them for lift-off? Cool, right? That's not dangerous... right?

I mean, if we're discussing pressurizing a vessel with water + air with one-to-a bigillion PSI with the intent to expel the contents at someone, that's ok?
Just no "Weird Shtuff" (SEAL), anything sharp, poisonous or flammable? Or carbonated I guess.

Hey, if you end up getting doused in Coca-Cola, just have someone rinse you off with (water) from a CPS 2000...

I think I am much more scared of an air pressure homemade than anything else...
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:10 am

the oncoming storm wrote:CA99 the only thing that surprises me about your earlyer post is that we have rules on here :goofy: ... in my 2 years on here I have yet to see any.
Hmm.. point taken. There were rules... once.. but perhaps they got lost in transition to here.

As for what is considered dangerous or not, first off, while there are varying opinions, the topic must be on water blasters and water warfare. If it's not blasting water, it's not a water blaster. While I'm open to some discussion on other non-toxic liquids, once the liquid ends up being toxic and/or hazardous (i.e. you wouldn't bathe in it), then that's a no-go.

As for other topics, there is no way to ever provide a full listing of what would/could be appropriate as someone, somewhere is going to try to find their way around it. This ends up needing to rely on common sense and the occasional warning that something isn't a good topic for here. Those trying to make really powerful water blasters can chat, but if someone is trying to make one for the purpose of harming someone else, that is not. Intent and direction has as much to do with whether a topic is allowable or not.

This board has run fairly loosely for the past couple of years since there's been no one actively seeking to push the subjects into more questionable directions. I have been letting some of the more adult-suggestive commentary slide, but if that starts getting too raunchy, we'll need to put a cap on that, too.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:16 pm

I don't know about you Isoaker, but I would not want to bath in Coca-Cola. If it can dissolve a tooth and clean the corrosion off a penny, it's not something I really want to bathe it (Or drink it). Same with orange soda.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:46 pm

Fishfan wrote:I don't know about you Isoaker, but I would not want to bath in Coca-Cola. If it can dissolve a tooth and clean the corrosion off a penny, it's not something I really want to bathe it (Or drink it). Same with orange soda.
Vinegar can do similar stuff and many people eat it without any problem. I wouldn't want to bathe in it often, but there are far more lethal stuff to bathe in. Coke would more likely be tingly (from the carbonation) and sticky (from the sugar) and sting any open/soft tissue (from the acidity), but that about sums it up.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:18 pm

Yup, I let loose with reckless abandon in that post. (You're talking about the one in the girls thread where I made certain complementing remarks about our sport, right?) Some of the things I've said overall are better left for chat rooms (like in the "How's Life" thread), but since these areas of the board are members only, I suppose I didn't inhibit myself enough when posting. :goofy: But I'm not the only one; I'm sure posts of a similar nature, or containing not-kiddy-friendly language, exists around here. Perhaps I've made mistakes in assessing (or lack of) the board's requirements of being friendly to a larger age range, even in members-only forums.

Regarding this particular thread, there's lots of grey zones in equipment use in water warfare. Something potentially harmful (if used inappropriately) may be accepted if it is used very strictly to avoid harm. Water balloon launcher discussion is completely acceptable, despite the huge potential for misuse. Alternative liquids however, are different in the sense that they have less use when not being launched at a player directly, and when they are, they're dangerous. (Just like with WBL's at close range.) I think equipment is one area that does need to be carefully stepped around; it's a fine line to cross before someone's hurt, which has far worse consequences than, say, someone getting offended on the Internet. Regardless, I think there are other benefits to keeping my posting simpler, so I will go more in line with that in the future and leave the other stuff (i.e. anything philosophical, personal, or suggestive) for the chat rooms. Perhaps we could use IRC or something here... Not sure if it has been attempted before though.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:33 am

While we are veering off topic here, what is the IRC? :\
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

spitfire

Post by spitfire » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:41 am

Something I used to do was to sneak up on my opponents when they were refilling. they had this nasty habit of refilling a gun and then setting it down while refilling another gun. Well, whenever they would set it down, I would grab it and pop a few alka-seltzers in the tank. It [generally]disrupted the stream- or in some cases, the gun...
Abraham Lincoln assassinated J.F.K.!!!!!

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:23 pm

I would've just taken the blaster in those cases lol. That said, I've found that most refills are made out of game or while spawning.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

spitfire

Post by spitfire » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:04 pm

Yes, that works, but if you take the guns, they'll just get replacements. If you sabotage them, they will still think the blasters are usable-until they try to fire them.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:59 pm

I take it you're not lending your own blasters out to people at wars. Destruction of property however, is highly frowned upon in water warfare at best. (Unless it's a squirter that's of no use anyway. :goofy: )

Since my blasters go out on lend, everything on stealing is pretty much fair game, as long as nobody's wrestling over a blaster, violating the physical contact rule, and/or breaking guns.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

spitfire

Post by spitfire » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:40 am

I do lend my blasters to anyone who needs a gun, but none of my guns have exploded from it yet. I wouldn't have them if they could do that...

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:37 pm

Generally, I keep my rules to this:
- If you wouldn't want to be hit by it, don't use it.
- If you wouldn't want the same thing done to your equipment, don't do it to others'.

A common rule used in the NIC for restricting blasters that are too powerful, is to test whether whoever brought it and is using it is willing to be hit by it.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

spitfire

Post by spitfire » Wed May 01, 2013 8:59 am

good concept for water cannons.. I had wondered if there was a ballistic test or something to indicate whether a cannon was to powerful...

p.s. I said that I've done it to my own guns, so rule two didn't totally apply.