your fighting style

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
the oncoming storm
WWN League Team: Havoc

your fighting style

Post by the oncoming storm » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:29 pm

The birthday battle thread got me thinking about this, what is your fighting style, and what class of weapons do you use in it?

My fighting style is hit and run, with a few high speed scrimmages, I typickly use what you would expect a grunt to use a good ,light rifle, or rifle with a backup and maybe a refill. It seems to work well in my soakfests and could hold it's own in a large war without to much difaculty

. :cps2700: :cps3000:
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

marauder

Re: your fighting style

Post by marauder » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:16 am

There was a rather popular thread about this over at SSC a while back. I would say that I, as well as probably most people, use a different type of gun depending on what the occasion is. In Mississippi when we fight small battles in the woods/park/golf course I like to use my XP 65 and do hit and run type fighting. Lots of maneuvering, always running, trying to pull ambushes. I had the same fighting style when outnumbered 2 to 1, except I used my CPS 1500 then. It varies a lot, but in soakfests I am definitely a runner.

It was a lot easier to classify positions and fighting styles when we had an actual team. I do believe in team positions under the right circumstances. That's why I haven't taken down Sniper's Guide, Scout's Guide, and Ranger's guide after all these years - though I do plan to update them to make them current sometime in the next year. Red Scorpion would typically have 2 squads, an elite ranger squad called "the Long Patrol," and another more traditional squad. Typically the Long Patrol would have 8 guys, with at least 1 scout, at least 1 tanker/heavy weapon, and the rest of the guys would be "rangers," basically elite grunts. Our fighting style, as a squad, was typical guerrilla warfare, relying heavily on speed and stealth. There are so many occasions where we would show up behind enemy lines and take them by surprise, then disappear after we got a flag or a lot of hits. We got to the point where our scouts were genuinely good at tracking people down through the woods and leading the rest of the team. One of them went on to Marine scout sniper school.

I would like to have battles like these again, I really enjoy the guerila style. That's what Dux and I did in the 1hk game of Downpour 2011. In Hydropocalypse I was a tanker/heavy weapons officer with my 300, but usually these days I rely on speed.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

scottthewaterwarrior
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:42 am

My stile depends a lot on the battle. In something like OHK I like to use a weapon with good range and for the most part try and avoid combat all together. When I am forced into battle I try and stay right on the edge of my opponents range and rely on dodging and cover until I can get a good shot in.

In most other game types I'm more of a hit and run type person, though for me it is more like run and hit since in anything where I don't have lives I am very risk taking and like to charge into battle. I am trying to change this since with this stile I often get the most kills but almost always the most deaths too. I started out Downpour 2012 my new way, but after a few rounds with 1 death and no hits, I went back to my old ways of jumping into the crossfire and trying to rack up as many kills as I can before I am hit.

I think my old strategy works the best for me, I may die more, but at least I get a lot of kills in between instead of never getting kills and still dieing now and then. I think I am going to try and work on my "battle awareness more," I almost always can dodge a shot when I know it is coming, but my deaths (recent ones anyway) are from shots that I never saw coming or that I didn't try to doge because I thought they would miss. :sucker:
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:21 pm

Yaay I inspired a topic!

Like I said in my battle report, I tend to prefer engaging at distance for a while, then charging in and going for the kill. Mobility is more important than anything else to me because I get into so many "dangerous" positions close to my opponents, I need to be able to move around. I seem to be best with mid-sized blasters, I don't do that well with heavies, but I also like something with a high field-life since I go through so much water.
Usually, I start a battle away from the action, then I grow into it as it progresses. Just a bit more self-protection, I don't like to be in the thick of it from the start.

Also, this comes from soccer, I always like to know my surroundings. When I play soccer, I'm constantly looking around to see if anyone's behind me, in my blindspots, what kind of movement is going on around me, etc. I try to bring that to my battles, and usually it works for me.

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:46 pm

So, how does Timmy fit your fighting style compared to your other guns?
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:55 pm

I actually haven't tried Timmy in a proper battle. I imagine he'd work well without being the perfect fit, he's easy to maneuver with, doesn't take many pumps (like 10), has great range and high field life. Only real drawback is the lever trigger which slows me down marginally.

I know the bigger Water Warriors' blasters fit me very well, as do the medium-sized XPs, so far the best thing I've tried was the WW Lightning (so glad I broke mine...), although it does lack in the capacity department.

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:48 pm

Might as well post here while my Downpour video is taking it's stupid time uploading.

I think I created a topic like this before. I have faught somewhat defensively in the past, mostly hanging back and waiting for opportunities, but lately I've been trying a more offensive approach to fighting, but not insanely so. My style is often influenced by the blaster I happen to be using. When I use my 2700 or a similar long-lasting weapon, I prefer to be more defensive, taking a lot of shots but not seriously going for kills. If I'm using a 2000, I like the hit-and-run approach best.

When it comes to gametypes, I do it defensively for OHK, for OHS I alternate between offensive and defensive depending on the score, and in CTF it depends which blaster I'm using, but I usually prefer to go on defense if I have a blaster that works well for both.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Fri May 03, 2013 10:07 pm

Bump and update

Now that I have a 300 I tend to stay back from my foes about 40-45' in OHS and OHK trying more to hold people at bay and drive them back while waiting for a chance to rush in a little (no more than 10') and nab a kill.

in Soakfests and battles with less than 4 people I will probably still stick with my Gorgon, it may not hold as much as the 300 but it can slightly outlast it (up to 300 tap shots vs 200) an impressive 45' range on 5x to hold people at bay while I wait to unload my 10x setting into people when I get a chance to rush in and get close.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo: