Team Training

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
the oncoming storm
WWN League Team: Havoc

Team Training

Post by the oncoming storm » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:26 pm

I started a small team back in febuary, were now 7 member strong, we age from 5 (Priv Williams) to 16 (Corp Boshears Me) any ideas on how to train my team for battle? any recommended Tactics? we have 2 3 man squads and a Sniper/Scout (not me)

our Arsenal includes

2 Water Warriors Vanquishers
5 Water Warriors Avengers (two are missing caps)
2 Water Warriors Crickets
1 Water Warriors Steady Stream 2
1 Scatter Blast
1 Super Soaker XP 215
and 1 Max D 5000
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

atvan

Re: Team Training

Post by atvan » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:06 pm

Set up a number targets (maybe the size of your spread hand) equal to the amount of people on your team in a common battle ground you use, then have one squad attack (with the scout), moving through the field, attempting to identify where the targets are based on where they would be well placed tactically (good ambush locations, etc), while the other squad splits up, each person manning a pair or targets. When they feel it is the time which they would initiate the ambush, they should raise the targets, and the attack squad should have to hit both targets within a certain amount or time (2 seconds ?). This teaches quick accurate shooting, team orginization, and the ability to identify good positions for ambushes, or notice subtle details which give the enemy away.

Preform this several times, switching positions, and then afterwards, dicuss tactics, strategies, and what worked and didn't with the exercise. When this exercise begins to flow almost seamlessly, (might take a few days, could take a month or two) begin to use live adversaries instead of targets, and use OHK rules to amp up the pressure.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:35 am

Start by pitting them against each other while you watch! :lol:

Seriously though, you can then see who are the stronger members of your team, and who needs the most work. If you want, split them in half, assign a leader to each team (Make it someone you wouldn't expect to be a good leader. That way you can usually find good leaders and tacticians, in people who would otherwise be more reserved.) and observe the tactics. It'll also and help you to assign a 2IC later (for when you want to split the team for an assault during a real battle). Something like this would work well in wooded areas, or somewhere with a lot of cover (high ground, low ground, ditches etc.), with a fair bit of space so they can employ whatever tactics they choose in 'hunting' the other team.

Rotate who is in charge of each team each time you do this, and mix the teams up to see who works well where. You might want to let everyone have a go leading like this, before commencing official 'training' and then go back to this now and then to see how they apply new tactics and skills. After all practice is the best way to learn.

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:28 am

I think Andrew has the right idea. There's absolutely no substitute for just getting out there and fighting. It's the only way you'll get real-time battle experience. If you spend all your time shooting at targets, when you get to a real war, you probably won't do well. I've experienced this before, in the OHS rounds at Downpour last year; I hadn't faught at all since like, the year before that, and my team definitely suffered from that.

Because of this, I usually like to have training battles with my brothers, but since we only usually have 3 people, it's hard. I may have a 2vs2 or 3vs2 later today though.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:32 pm

Ideally, you don't worry about it and just host games. People who don't care to get better at it will do so just from playing. People who do care will go as far as they want.

Of course, that's not always the case. People don't like organized events sometimes and won't show up. In that case, you take whoever's interested (even if it's just yourself) and go out. Go jog and do sprints. Then go jog and do sprints with a heavy backpack on. Practice side-jumps/dodges. As far as water guns go, you get enough practice shooting them by having to test and cycle water through them, and anyone who cares will do the same.

You don't really "train" for water warfare though. You learn how to shoot water guns and physically train. The rest is done by playing games.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

marauder

Post by marauder » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:06 am

Great topic... man I haven't had a real team training session in about 8 years. What is your training area like? Ideally you have a diverse training area with woods, field, streets, yards, and buildings.

You should fight using specific scenarios designed to increase your team's ability at certain things. I will give you a few that I recommend:

Evasion
Objective: to develop stealth and to develop tracking/hunting skills.
Split your team in half. Give team A the lower powered guns. Give team B, the hunters, the higher powered guns. Give team A a set amount of time to get from one point to another without getting out. If you get hit once you are out. Team B, the hunters, are allowed to leave 1 man back to guard the end point, but everyone else has to stay a certain distance from it until the enemy has been spotted. This forces team B to go "hunting" for team A, since they can't base camp. Since A has inferior weaponry, they need to rely more on stealth.
Use these hand signalsto be more stealthy. I plan to take pictures of myself demonstrating these hand signals, and updating that page when I get home. In the mean time you can see what they look like here.

Ambush
Objective: Become skilled at using ambushes and defending against them
Again, split the team in half, but this time keep the weapons equal. Team A must reach a certain point in a given amount of time. Confine their area of movement (ie they are only allowed to move on 1 or 2 paths). Team B plots an ambush, or multiple ambushes along the way. Again, if you are hit you are out. http://hydrowar.com/ambushes.html

Play the above scenarios with 1hk because it increases your reliance on tactics, stealth etc, and once you develop those skills they will make you a superior player/team even if you are having a soakfest.

I also recommend making up attack/defend scenarios and capture the flag scenarios. These are best practiced as 1 hit scores or just simple respawn with no one winning until a flag is captured.

You should also have 1 on 1 soakfest matches with everyone watching, I think this was mentioned by other people. This should develop players dodging skills, their timing, and their rushing.... unless players end up going toe to toe and firing at point blank range, in which case you'll need to split them up. For players of superior talent, give them a smaller or less powerful weapon when taking on opponents.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:46 pm

Thanks guys I think our main battlefields are my yard a small battle ground, and for a large war adair park a medium sized battle ground (500', by 500' roughly)

M4 what happen to your team the Red Scorpion Commandos ?
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:57 am

I'm flattered that you'd ask about my team. It always make my day when people tell me they've read my war stories, or that our battles inspired them to do the same.

The last time we all fought together, as a team, was in 2006, which was Vermin War 12. I had just finished my freshman year of college, and most everyone else had graduated or was getting ready to graduate. If that wasn't enough to bring things to an end I was in summer school 3 hours away in 2007, and then in 2008 both Viper and myself were in basic training. We never officially ended things, in fact, nearly half of everyone that showed up for Hydropocalypse were members of Red Scorpion. Unfortunately, everyone couldn't make it on the same day, so we never were able to fight all on one team against everyone else.

I'm not going to list everyone on here, but I'll cover a few people that are prominent in the war stories, and those that showed up to Hydropocalypse.

Our Commanders
Myself, well I'm a Sergeant with the US Army over here in Afghanistan. I'm getting married and moving back to Mississippi for gradschool when I get home.
Viper is a sergeant in the Marine corps, he's currently over here in Afghanistan. He's going to be a groomsman at my wedding. Primary weapon CPS 1200. Viper is the guy getting shot in the Hydrowar logo.

Captains (squad commanders)
My brother is a journalism major in college. He was too sick to fight in Hydropocalypse. He's usually still good for a few battles a year. Primary weapon CPS 1500.
Psycho moved to Alabama 6 years ago, but he's driving up for my wedding. Says he still wants to fight once I move to MS. Primary weapon CPS 1200.
we had a few other people command squads from time to time, but these were captains in almost every engagement.

Scouts
Joe is a sergeant with the Marine corpse. He's here in Afghanistan too. Primary weapon Flash Flood.
Josh is currently playing in a band out of Raleigh. Primary weapon CPS 4100.
Shaft goes to UNC. Primary weapon CPS 2100.
Gunny was in the marine corps and deployed to Iraq. He's out now. He hung out with us at Downpour and SEAL inspired him to build his own WBL. Primary weapon XP 70.

Chris is studying computer engineering in college. He fought in the first day of Hydropocalypse and scored the 2nd best efficiency rating of the war -next to DX. Primary weapon XP 150/CPS 3200.
Tyler just graduated highschool. He fought in the first day of Hydropocalypse and racked up an impressive 4 hits with his old Storm 750, though he ended up getting hit a lot too. Primary weapon Storm 750.
My sister is studying architecture in college. She fought in all 3 days of Hydropocalypse. I feel bad that I didn't find her CPS 1000 before the battle, although she didn't mind using my Explorer or Gorgon.
Cristina showed up to Hydropocalypse and hung out. SEAL and Scott met her. She's getting married to my friend John when I get back.
Jack fought in Downpour and Hydropocalypse. He's still in Highschool. Unfortunately he most likely won't make any wars in the near future as he's moving to Indonesia.
Will same as his brother above.

Other notable people
Mafo0 was an active member here between 2001 and 2002. He just graduated college and is teaching Latin at a classics school in VA. He'll be a groomsman at my wedding.
Tr007 was an active member here around the same time. He's working for a political campaign up in DC. Still see him every year.
Andy is a lieutenent in the Army reserve and works at a VA clinic. Still see him every year too.
Drew "Solid Snake" long time Vermin member hung out with us every day at Hydropocalypse and helped film and take pictures. He has a heart condition now which kept him from playing.
Vermin Commander "Mr Jimmy" was building chasis for NASCAR stockcars last time I talked to him. He gave Viper his CPS 2500 with "VERMIN" written on the side of it as a wedding gift last year.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

GJIV

Post by GJIV » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:11 pm

CPS1200fann wrote:I started a small team back in febuary, were now 7 member strong, we age from 5 (Priv Williams) to 16 (Corp Boshears Me) any ideas on how to train my team for battle? any recommended Tactics? we have 2 3 man squads and a Sniper/Scout (not me)

our Arsenal includes

2 Water Warriors Vanquishers
5 Water Warriors Avengers (two are missing caps)
2 Water Warriors Crickets
1 Water Warriors Steady Stream 2
1 Scatter Blast
1 Super Soaker XP 215
and 1 Max D 5000
No CPS Soakers yet ??? I would miss something... ;)