Use shields in a water war? - ^

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.

Use shields in a water war? - ^

Always
No votes
Usually
No votes
Sometimes
14%
Rarely
29%
Never
57%

Total votes: 35

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:31 am

Just curious what the general consensus is on shield use in this community. I'm not fully against it, but at the same time, depending on the size, shielding can either enhance or detract from overall game experience. If anything, the only 'shields' I've used in a water fight are either my soaker, itself, or another player! :goofy:

Note: using your soaker, fellow player, or large environmental obstacle as a shield does NOT count as shield use. Shields, in this case, are defined as things carried by the player that are primarily meant for use to block incoming shots.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:57 am

Really only use my gun and the terrain, but once I used a sled. Didn't work out too well, as by altering the angle of your attack by a fraction or two, you can just bypass the shield altogether.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

Soaker Master

Post by Soaker Master » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:28 pm

I, nor my freind have ever used the shield that isoaker described. I think that it would probably just slow me down having to fumble with it while holding a blaster.

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:47 pm

I never have, nor do I plan to. It just takes the fun out of a water fight. :p
EV Nova - Space action/RPG, for Windows and Mac!
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/

"Look! a CPS 2000 10th anniversary edition! I'll buy two, one to keep, and one to use!"
*Takes them home, opens one, fills it, and pumps it up.*

"snap!"

"Oops, I guess it had a Max-D trigger."

DX

Post by DX » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:59 pm

The RM-Waterbridge rules ban shields, with the exception that you can use your gun as one. Learn to dodge, which enhances your reflex-based skills. Shields, at least in more hardcore wars, are both cheap and cowardly. :p
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

cooldood31

Post by cooldood31 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:31 pm

I used to use a 6' by 2' shield with a hole to stick the nozzle of my splashzooka through and a slit covered in clear plastic to see through. It was pretty much invincible, but it took a lot of the fun out of soaking so I stopped using it. Now we have a rule that all shields must be stationary (in other words bases).

LIGHT ANNIHILATOR

Post by LIGHT ANNIHILATOR » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:55 pm

I agree with what Dux said. Dodging streams and using the enviornment as cover is better than any sheild. :cool:
E3:2006: Tune to G4 for live E3 coverage in May for info on the hottest new consoles and games.

Excelite

Post by Excelite » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:55 am

When my battles usually degenerate into "everyone against me", or "hose versus me", I'll grab my gun-mounted shield.

Otherwise, I find it too cumbersome to run and dodge with.

Learning to dodge is better because it reduces your dependence on equipment.
abusing the ellipsis since before you n00bs got here

Soaker Master

Post by Soaker Master » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:19 pm

Me and my freind just made a rule to ban sheilds, who wants to hide behind a sheild. It also feels dissapointing to the person shooting you, "I just shot all the water out of my CPS chamber, Darn".

overload09

Post by overload09 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:27 am

Well isn't that better for you? You could just soak him.
:bm1000::wb2:

:flashflood::wacko: :unclesam::cps2500:

XP_uo_tashu_to

Post by XP_uo_tashu_to » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:35 pm

in combat with any type of ranged weaponry, you don't use sheilds. it would just get in the way and take the fun out of the game.
My weapon of choice- the XP105.

HeadMan

Post by HeadMan » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:38 pm

You can live or die by the shield. people i've talked to swear by them some swear against them. i myself swear against them.

If you really want one you could always get the new shield blaster...heh... heh... heh... yeah right.

Croc

Post by Croc » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:33 am

It depends on if the shield is mounted, or if you make a good enough shield with clips for your backup. Only a few times have I ever used a shield, but I didn't like the idea
The shield was just a plastic chair that i hid behind- sort of like a mini bunker