Revised Calibers - Where is your team in the spectrum?

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.

Revised Calibers - Where is your team in the spectrum?

Novice [normally informal wars and/or new to water wars]
25%
Normal [organized wars, some use of tech and/or tactics]
25%
Advanced [organized wars, extensive use of tech and/or tactics]
17%
Hardcore [serious organized wars, heavy use of tactics]
25%
Diehard [very serious organized wars, frightening tech and/or tactics]
8%

Total votes: 12

DX

Post by DX » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:25 am

The more refined version of team caliber. The Pro calibers have been left out since those only apply to individuals. Notice how the middle caliber is "Advanced". Normally it would be "Normal", but the point of the Tactical Theory is to improve, therefore making above-average the desired center.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

mutuhaha

Post by mutuhaha » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:43 am

I'd like to highlight some difficulties in classification for certain teams because of certain circumstances.

Let's use my local situation as an example as I understand we're trying to reach a universal definition of team caliber.

The caliber description seems not to take a few factors into consideration:
- Size of team
- Local culture

Size of team:
I'd think that to train a team of around 5 members in "frightening tactics" would be significantly easier than to train 40 members in the same "frightening tactics". This can be due to better communication when less people are involved, and thus better absorption of information by the fewer members.
This is just one example when size of the team affects what level of tactics/tech is produced. It would be unfair to classify large teams who have "normallish" tactics as lower than a team of 3 who have frightening tactics. I'd even venture to say that the large team may deserve to be classified above the smaller team because of the effort and difficulty of such a large team to achieve even a normal level.

Simply put, it's easier to train/execute moves with less people, though it isn't reflected in the team caliber. This puts teams such as the one I belong to at a significant disadvantage on the caliber ladder.

So quality or quantity? I'd suggest the definition of caliber to take into consideration the latter as well.

Local culture:
America, when viewed from the Singaporean perspective, seems to have a more relaxed education system than Singapore. This of course would have quite an impact on the team caliber as teams are mainly composed of students. When we are doing essays and cramming for tests all year round, others in other countries may have more time to train, make homemades and think about tactics and the like (though I usually think about it in class :goofy: ).

Aside from that, DIY support here is very limited, because DIY shops here are meant to supply construction companies, less homefixes, and so the shopkeepers are out to make money and more money. This limits our options, as companies which trade in raw materials often aren't even shops but are part of the corporate circle, who wouldn't bother to help a bunch of kids make a tank when they could be negotiating with some construction company. Hence our tech would also be limited despite our many ideas.

There are other factors as well, but considering just these two, it would seem to me that the current definition of team caliber would be a bit flawed when approaching it universally. Because, would you consider a small elite team under little cultural pressure "better" than a large team under pressure from other factors?
118th Urban Corp

Adeptus Exterminatus Extremis, Noobis Exitus Proxima

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:19 am

It's hard to classify my team. We try to have organized wars, but that's hard when none of our opponents show up. We love modding, but have average tactics. We're right in between normal and advanced.

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:09 pm

Wow, great points, hamster/mutuhaha. This stuff is definitely very in-depth, and it's hard to come up with a universal system. Duxburian? :laugh:

[off-topic]
Our education system is very relaxed in the sense that the students essentially get to choose how dedicated they want to be in academics. The school systems can thus be both very lax and low-level, or extremely intense among those who compete for the highest grade point average.

The education system really doesn't pick up until 9th grade (what term do you use? Grade? Standard? Level?). Before that, the teachers teach pretty much anything they want to, and the courses aren't too defined. But from 9th grade and on, you can choose to take low-stress or high-stress classes.

So it all depends. Duxburian has mentioned getting just a couple of hours of sleep some nights due to studies. Many others do the same--I'll likely be like that in two years.
[/end off-topic]

Anyway, I voted novice. Completely informal wars, just with friends and neighbors, no teams. I have only a few small wars a year. But they're fun.

Tactically, I personally use a ton of tactics and movement. But for team calibers, I'm just a novice.

DX

Post by DX » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:25 pm

Good to see holes. Normally most people would not be happy to see holes in their ideas, but I am because I haven't started caliber articles yet and don't want to write flawed information. :cool:

Originally, team caliber was supposed to be a relative composite of the individual calibers on each team, but that also had holes in it. The way that was going to be solved was by basing the caliber off the command, as commanders and founders have the power to set the bar as high or low as they want for their team. However, yes that does not work when the team is massive. You simply can't gain complete control with over a hundred members. Heck, you don't have complete control with 14.

The Tactical Theory defies most objective systems, so I probably should not be surprised that this one won't work. Team caliber may have to just be a general description with no weight in the Theory, as members can be all over the spectrum. Individual caliber still works though, and that can function physical ability-blind. What matters most for individual caliber is ideas. Thinking about new tactical opportunities and innovative tech designs shows great intellectual ability, even if it can't be turned into physical ability. If given equal opportunity, a warrior with those mental qualities would be on par with anyone on the same level with better access and more free time. After all, the power of this Theory is not with what you actually do, rather it rests with what you are capable of doing. I now know how to write the individual caliber articles. :cool:

As for education, that is extremely subjective to local area, as is every cultural aspect in America. As biased as this sounds, wealthy areas of both high and low population in the deep blue states have the finest education systems, while poor areas of any population in deep red states have the worst. :p That's an observation, as I am well-traveled in the continental 48.

My town Ridgewood has fierce academic competition. Less than a 3.6 unweighted GPA is bad [less than 4.3 weighted is bad], less than a 2100 on the SATs is bad, and any normal grade on anything lower than an 89.5 is bad. Of our 1800 students, perhaps half applied to at least one ivy league college. There's a trend, as in Bergen County, the best-performing schools occur in a strip of towns which also just happen to be the wealthiest in the state [median household income in excess of $100,000]. On either side are the poorest-performing schools, the rural countryside on the west and the big industrial cities on the east [median household income of less than $40,000]. The funny thing is that Ridgewood is being underfunded by $4 million and the quality of our education is still vastly better than many schools with budget surpluses.

I have indeed had weeks averaging 3 hours of sleep per night. The worst was midterms, where I slept longer on Saturday than the whole rest of the week combined. My course load has been brutal, and it's only 2 APs, 3 Honors, and 1 Regular. Some of my friends juggle 5 APs.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:22 pm

Voted novice, though I am going to use more tech for the coming summer, and probably do some 1HK/S games, increasing potential for tactics. As said before, there are no organized teams, the teams are typically decided at the war.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

DX

Post by DX » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:33 pm

For purposes of caliber, "organized" means that the wars are regulated by some kind of rule set and fought by teams. As long as there's a point beyond just soaking people at random [OHK, OHS, and OSF], then it is "organized". Whether the teams are static or decided randomly before a war doesn't matter.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:29 pm

So "organized" simply means that there are teams? Well, my tactics are very basic (if I even use any), though I'm still trying to push things up. For 2007 I'm planning to have a big war, where a lot of people will be invited. Because of this, I'm going to make that a soakfest CTF, while I'll start the 1HK/S's and variants with smaller groups. (Me and my friends are still quite shaky on the fist sized hit, etc. especially since none of us have done anything like that before. However, mostly any kind of targerters are typically a pain to deal with so I doubt we'll use those)

Overall, I still consider myself and the wars at the novice level due to my lack of experience, but I'm hoping to push things up to the normal level for 2007 as I experiment, aquire more tech and guns, and experiment with tactics, game variations, etc. Whatever skill and tactics I do have comes from fps's and hard-learned lessons from last summer. (not just with myself, but also how I deal with my team)

Edited By C-A_99 on 1172961096
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:59 pm

As Duxburian elaborated on, it isn't even state-by-state; it's locality-by-locality. Since the election of Governor Mark Warner in 2000 and duplicate Governor Tim Kaine in 2005, Virginia has becoming a fairly neutral state. We were incredibly conservative just years ago. In 2006, Jim Webb (I've only mentioned democrats so far) defeated George Allen as senator--and George Allen had perhaps 70% support earlier in the year.

Anyway, enough of that. What I'm saying is that the state is currently a patchwork. Out in the country, education is fairly dismal; here in Charlottesville City and Albemarle County, where we voted 80% democratic, the education system is superb.

Duxburian is right on though--wealthy Democratic areas = good education, poor Republican areas = bad education. Charlottesville is a bit of an exception though, the vast majority is fairly poor but then you have a student elite as well. We tend to be tops in the southern 90% of the state for things like Pop Quiz, music, contests, etc. But overall, the schools are barely competent.

I'd have to say that the best way of judging team caliber is determining how organized it is. There are different ways to be organized--having 400-men wars or having extreme discipline. Or both.

forestfighter7

Post by forestfighter7 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:43 pm

I voted normal because we have good tech(APHs, kmods, integrations), but tactics.
The thing is, many of our members have mechanical minds, but are to immature to grasp the concept of tactics. I try to teach them, but all they can understand is basic flanking and the such. Many of our engagements occur in open areas. Nevertheless, I try, and have fun, and thats what matters.

Edited By forestfighter7 on 1172976265
If you would like to join the Superior Water Attack Team please pm me.
The soaker chooses the user, Harry Potter...