Thanks and Developments - ^

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
105-1167946344

Post by 105-1167946344 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:15 am

Firstly, major thanks to Ben for letting me know about the HUGE, GAPING security problem of the old board. Hopefully that is now a thing of the past, but I still need to double-check that things are now more secure.

Secondly, loads of thanks to the membership for enduring the unexpected downtime. Thankfully, it wasn't as long as it might have been, but I know that even a day or two can feel like an eternity on the 'net!

That said, the current set-up has a lot of formatting and layout problems. Over time, I hope to get these things straightened out, but the controls have changed slightly (plus I've forgotten a lot of what was done to the last board) so changes are coming; just not sure how long it'll take to smoothen things out.

As for some member's requests about merging/renaming accounts, at present, from what I see, not much has changed regarding member controls on the backside. I may be able to go directly into the MySQL tables and tweak things, but would want to experiment on a "dummy" account as I am not sure what effects forced account modification may do. The last thing I'd want is to crash an account or the board.

For now, at least things seem to be generally working. Onwards and upwards!

:soakon:

105-1167946344

Post by 105-1167946344 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:06 pm

Slowly reformatting current skin; tried importing old skin, but ended up crashing if skin used. For now, sticking with editing "default" skin... everyone's gotta deal with *vanilla* for now. :goofy:

:cool:

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:21 pm

Well, noticed that my "isoaker_com" account was duplicated after the board re-creation. I've now opted to wipe the new account, but it's messed up a few posts made by the duplicate account. Oh well... a few "guest" posts now appear due to the deletion.

:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:41 pm

Glad to see the boards are up and running, if only in a limited sense. the iSoaker forums were an essential part of online Soakerdom, and while I may not spend as much time perusing the online forums as much as I used to, I have become attached to this board, and am glad to see it back.

Good luck on the slow repair, and make sure to let me know if ya need anything (Although I;m honestly not sure what I could do to help).

Soak On,
wetmonkey442
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:29 pm

Glad to see the boards back up, everything intact, and the issue resolved.

Edited By C-A_99 on 1168039796
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

Black Six

Post by Black Six » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:06 pm

I know we all had faith in your abilities, Bob. You don't do this kind of stuff for a living only to be thwarted by a 'little' security hole. :p
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long."
-Anonymous
-=+Maximum Soakage+=-

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:24 am

Hmm... I seem a little worried. The conversion seemed successful for recent posts, but some older posts (about 7000 by the board's count) don't seem to exist. For an example, try searching for posts by Big Bee. The board knows he made some posts, but they don't exist.

Might want to check this out somehow iSoaker... I'm not really sure what can be done however.

Edited By Ben_ on 1168100693

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:18 pm

@Ben: I'm not too worried about that, actually. I noticed after the database conversion that almost all the forum overview links did the same thing, but upon browsing to a particular thread, it can be found completely. It's a bug in the restoration/conversion process. Of course, this bug makes properly searching for some of the older posts currently annoying as it needs to be done manually (search scripts don't pull up proper results). Looking into solutions...

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:58 pm

There might be something to "rebuild" search tables or something like that in the administrator's CP. Also look for something to recount the total posts. vB has both of these features and I do them occaisonally when the board gets funky.

I can't seem to find the "One more in the collection" thread that Big Bee posted in last, but I can seem to find some of his other posts. Good to know they're not lost.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:21 pm

I did the "rebuild" as well as "recount" shortly after restoring the board. I, too, do those routinely. As for the "One more in the collection", that is a thread in the "Archive: Information, Etc." and has no post by Big Bee in it. I can only surmise that that aspect of the database was messed up during the conversion. Sadly, even when locating one of Big Bee's posts, the "Search for Posts by this Member" fails to pull up his other posts...

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:40 pm

I dunno if this is related to the board changes, but some posts have been replaced with blank posts.

Post #14 here

Post #7 here

And I clearly recall reading something in the second link, dunno about the first one though. I'd imagine something was posted... :D

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:45 pm

Hmm.. the blank posts are a little concerning. Not sure what is causing it and, sadly, there's no easy way to check, either. As much as I hate losing old posts, I do believe that were I to reinstall the old database access, those would be recovered. Basically, anything prior to the upgrade (i.e. before Jan. 5, 2007) may be partially affected by the transition. If anything after the upgrade starts disappearing, too, that may for me to consider setting up a completely different set of forums.