Interview on Japanese Radio (?) - Kon-ichi-wa, Japan

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:16 am

Oddly enough, I just received an email from a radio station in Japan wanting to interview me regarding water blasters and the 'water gun booms in the world'. The interview would be in English, though it appears the interviewer is fluent both in English and Japanese, able to make quick translations on the fly. Mgiht prove to be an interesting experience and another means to help promote water warfare worldwide!

I'm wanting to find out more about it before agreeing (not to mention wanting to get an audio copy of it if it does air).

Anyone here actually from Japan?

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:22 am

Wow, neat! I don't think anyone's been interviewed before. Definitely go for it.

Given that there's essentially no one here or anywhere from Japan, I'd think that anything that would promote there would be a good idea.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:44 pm

Radio interview would be a first for me. On top of that, a radio interview for a Japanese radio talk show is something totally unexpected, altogether. I haven't fully agreed just yet as I want a little more information from them, but have stated my interest. I'll keep the group informed. Sadly, they don't seem to have a 'Listen Online' link, not that I can read all the Japanese links, mind you. :goofy:

Dr. D

Post by Dr. D » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:38 am

That's so cool! I'd totally go for it. I think it's needless to say that it's a tad bizarre that a Japanese talk show would have interest in interviewing an American water gun enthusiast, but I wouldn't complain! What's the name of the station?
n00b friend: "Nice SP 270!"
Me: "Uhh, it's
XP."
n00b friend: "Oh yeah! Nice SP 270 XP!"

Current Official USF Armory: Monster X, CPS 4100, CPS 2500 (shotgun), CPS 2100 (x3), CPS 1500, CPS 1200 (x3), CPS 1000, MI Flash Flood (x3) STE Flash Flood (x2) WW Orca

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:45 pm

The radio station is Tokyo FM. It appears that the likely interviewer is fluent in both Japanese and English (appears to have been born in the US, actually).

I recently received a listing of questions and will likely turn to the group for input on answering them.

Dacca

Post by Dacca » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:56 pm

even better, you know we'd love to help out with spreading water warefare worldwide!
more reliable then a max-D trigger

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:07 pm

Here are the questions given to me thusfar. I have some ideas on how to address each of them, but will await other membership feedback on them and add other ideas to my own. I've left the original wording intact as emailed to me (has a Japanese flavour to the style of writing :cool: ).

--------------------------------------
1, First of all, please tell us general information on water gun and warfare boom in the world.

2, How many water gun and warfare related clubs or organizions are there in the world. And which country has the most of them?

3, Please tell us about recent water gun battle which took place in the last few months if you know any.

4, They say heat wave is striking London, New York City and other places in the world this summer. Do you think heat wave is lifting up water gun boom in the world?

5, Do you have any message to Japanese people, concerning water gun and warfare?
--------------------------------------

Input on any of the questions above would be appreciated.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:57 pm

Sketching out thoughts:

1, First of all, please tell us general information on water gun and warfare boom in the world.

Water warfare is enjoyed by countless people throughout the globe from the Songkran Festival in Thailand to known modern water wars held in the US, Canada, the U.K., Germany, and Australia. One great thing about water warfare is that it truly is enjoyed by people of all ages. Presently in North America, we have seen a growing number of companies developing new types of water blasters for general use. As well, there is a growing movement of those wanting to push water warfare further, designing and building their own water weaponry. This, in turn, is getting the next generations interested in trying out water warfare. As our world is becoming more interconnected thanks to the Internet, people from all over the world can now share their ideas and experiences with others easily online.

2, How many water gun and warfare related clubs or organizions are there in the world. And which country has the most of them?

The actual number of teams and clubs worldwide is difficult to estimate. There are, however, three large online communities devoted to water warfare: iSoaker.com, SSCentral.org, and Soakermedia.net. Most known teams are located in North America with the greatest number found in the US. However, as interest spreads, groups are being established in Europe, Asia, as well as Australia. I suppose the only continent that our online group knows the least about is Africa.

3, Please tell us about recent water gun battle which took place in the last few months if you know any.

-- For this, I'm contemplating giving a brief summary of one of Duxburian's battles.

4, They say heat wave is striking London, New York City and other places in the world this summer. Do you think heat wave is lifting up water gun boom in the world?

Hot weather helps a lot so long as there is still water available. Water wars still represent the best, most thrilling way to keep cool when the temperatures go up. From personal experience, I've found the hottest days are the best days to initiate others into joining a good water fight. Few people decline an open and fun invitation to get wet when it's hot out there.

5, Do you have any message to Japanese people, concerning water gun and warfare?

I have heard from friends in Japan that Japanese summers can often be extremely humid and hot. Help keep your friends and family cool and make some new friends by having a water war in your area. Come drop by our sites and online communities to learn what others are doing and to share your own experiences. Most importantly, never forget to 'Leave NO one dry!'

-----------------------------------------
The above is a rough draft. Additional thoughts or recommendations welcome.

DX

Post by DX » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:16 pm

-- For this, I'm contemplating giving a brief summary of one of Duxburian's battles.

I'm flattered...pick any of them! :laugh: In fact, looking at the battle report list, just about any from this season would work great.

Your draft looks pretty good! :cool:
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:33 pm

Duxburian wrote:I'm flattered...pick any of them! :laugh: In fact, looking at the battle report list, just about any from this season would work great.

Well, if there is any water war worthy of being told, it ought to be an organized one (wild soakfests are good, but they'd have to be huge to be newsworthy i.e. a description of the Songkran Festival). That said, got a favourite particular battle that stands out?

Admittedly, I'm considering not necessarily recounting a particular battle, rather describing the general feeling of the organized battles your group engages in (i.e. much more tactics, use of camo and homemade soakers, wilderness setting, honor code). If you'd be willing to help draft up a response to this question, it'd be really appreciated.

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:49 pm

This certainly sounds more interesting given the last so many posts...and yes, those questions do have a distinctly "foreign" wording.

You should probably check the length of the responses they're looking for. It sounds like they'll be broadcasting the English (who knows, Tokyo FM might be all-English), so you don't have to worry about figures of speech and idioms... :)

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:01 pm

I checked Tokyo FM and the show 'Eyes on Tokyo'. I believe what will happen is the interview will end up being translated into Japanese by the interviewer who seems very fluent in both English and Japanese. Good point, though, about asking them to clarify response length.

DX

Post by DX » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:33 pm

Make sure all the responses sound roughly the same without articles. When/if it gets translated, "a", "an", and "the" will all disappear. I would read the responses without the articles to get a sense of how it might come out.

I will try to make a short summary of local battles, although I'm kind of short on time.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Dr. D

Post by Dr. D » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:48 am

I did a small bit of research, and it seems that Tokoyo FM is a major radio broadcaster over in Japan. They are the flagship station if Japan FM Radio, which broadcasts to around 40 stations all across Japan. They even have a station in New York! It's amazing that a major radio broadcaster would like to do a show on water warfare! What an excellent opportunity! ^_^
n00b friend: "Nice SP 270!"
Me: "Uhh, it's
XP."
n00b friend: "Oh yeah! Nice SP 270 XP!"

Current Official USF Armory: Monster X, CPS 4100, CPS 2500 (shotgun), CPS 2100 (x3), CPS 1500, CPS 1200 (x3), CPS 1000, MI Flash Flood (x3) STE Flash Flood (x2) WW Orca

forestfighter7

Post by forestfighter7 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:23 pm

That is so cool!!! Your rough draft looks great, isoaker_com. Hopefully we will have teams from japan sometime :) . What a way to promote water warfare. :)
If you would like to join the Superior Water Attack Team please pm me.
The soaker chooses the user, Harry Potter...

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:36 pm

Thanks for the feedback thusfar. Here's an update on the draft:
--------------------------------------------------------

Water warfare is enjoyed by countless people throughout the globe from the Songkran Festival in Thailand to known modern water wars held in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom., Germany, and Australia. One great thing about water warfare is that it truly is enjoyed by people of all ages. Presently in North America, we have seen a growing number of companies developing new types of water blasters for general use. As well, there is a growing movement of those wanting to push water warfare further, designing and building their own water weaponry. These developments are getting the next generations interested in trying out water warfare. Also, as our world has become more interconnected thanks to the Internet, people from all over the world can share their ideas and experiences with others easily online.

The actual number of teams and clubs worldwide is difficult to estimate. There are, however, three large online communities devoted to water warfare: iSoaker.com, SSCentral.org, and Soakermedia.net. Most known teams are located in North America with the greatest number found in the US. However, as interest spreads, groups are being established in Europe, Asia, as well as the Australia and New Zealand region. I suppose the only continents that our online group knows the least about is Africa and South America.

Some of the most intense organized water wars occur in the north-eastern coast of the US around a town called Ridgewood, located in New Jersey. Two rival teams there, the Ridgewood Militia and Waterbridge, specialize in serious, organized, tactical water warfare. Both teams use stock water guns, modified water guns, homemade water guns, and water balloon launchers, as well as camoflage. They also use strong tactical knowledge to battle with each other. Their wars take place in forests with some streams and plenty of trees and shrubs to offer hiding places. From what I have seen and heard from the team commanders and some of the members, their battles are long, challenging, but extremely fun. They have held many battles this year already with the last one occuring in July. They are also planning a "Regional War" on August 11 and 12 which is even open to anyone who can attend! However, due to time limitations, I feel a short summary of any of their battles would not properly cover the events and convey the excitement of these water gun confrontations. I therefore suggest visiting the Forums at iSoaker.com and reading the battle reports there.

Hot weather helps a lot so long as water is still available. Water blasters and water wars still represent the best, most thrilling way to keep cool when the temperatures go up. From personal experience, I've found the hottest days are the best days to initiate others into joining a good water fight. Few people decline an open and fun invitation to get wet when it's hot outside. Here's one trick I use. When meeting a group of friends on a hot day, I bring along a few water guns, but only take one out a first. I start by teasing those I know can get easily excited, then hand him or her my water gun. Then, I pull out another and continue until everyone has one or is looking to get their own. Once a water fight starts, it is usually hard to stop until everyone is soaking wet!

I have heard from my friends in Japan that Japanese summers can often be extremely humid and hot. Help keep your friends and family cool and make some new friends by having a water war in your area. Come drop by our sites and online communities to learn what others are doing and to share your own experiences. Our boards have members from around the globe and anyone with interest or curiousity are welcome to join! Most importantly, never forget to 'Leave NO one dry!'

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:16 pm

Yup, that looks good too. However, you could just say "in the northeastern US" instead of "near NYC," as people might mistake Ridgewood for the one in New York. Not a big deal, and while you and Duxburian have both pointed out the difference, this might be a bit confusing.

Nothing about the Regional War? That definitely calls for attention--you could just say something about a joint effort by the soaker forums to bring together local teenagers and experienced water warriors for a large, professional event.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:02 pm

Nothing about the Regional War?

Actually, that's what I'm referring to where I have the ????? about the date. I should properly call it the 'Regional War'. Incomplete on my part, but then again, this is still a draft. 2 days 'til interview. So many other things I need to do, too... for some reason, when I get busy, I get REALLY busy...

DX

Post by DX » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:42 pm

"They are also planning a "Regional War" on August 11th-12th which is even open to anyone who can attend!"

I think that is what was meant by the question marks. The date has been posted all around, but the topics have been sunk by others.

Edited By Duxburian on 1154734955

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:46 pm

Duxburian wrote:"They are also planning a "Regional War" on August 11th-12th which is even open to anyone who can attend!"

I think that is what was meant by the question marks. The date has been posted all around, but the topics have been sunk by others.
Yup, too buried. I was sifting through the 'Regional War' thread, but was getting confused since the beginning started off with multiple dates and I must have skipped the post stating the agreed-upon date. Silly me. :goofy: