Help Brainstorming Tactics

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
DX

Post by DX » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:39 pm

Ok, I am turning to you guys for help with some of this, since Tactical Theory and The Art of Fighting Water Wars is truly a massive undertaking. I need your help to come up with every tactic used in tactical water warfare. So far I have only these:
[An * indicates an advanced or difficult tactic to execute in battle]

Offensive:
Basic Flank
*Double Envelopment
*Triple Envelopment/Full Encirclement [famously used at Cannae]
Diagonal Flank
*Diagonal Envelopment
Basic Oblique
*Lightning Oblique
Attack in Echelon
Basic Charge
Sprinters' Charge
Echelon/Sweeping Charge
Swinging Gate Charge [famously used at Gettysburg]
Basic Pincer
*Ambushers' Pincer
Anti-Artillery Attack
Basic Push/Punch-Through
False Retreat
*Counter Ambush

Defensive:
*Swinging Pendulum Defense [invented yesterday]
Defenders' Ambush
Positioning Ambush
Rolling Flank
False Front Line
*False Primary Guns
Tactical Retreat
Running Riot
*False Base Ambush
False Ambush
*Real-False Ambush [I know what you're thinking: Duxburian's definately tripping out on some kind of drug. A real-false ambush involves setting up a fake ambush and then hitting the enemy with a real ambush while they are concentrating on the fake ambush. The only problem is then your real ambush can be ambushed by a counter ambush...arghh]
False Attack
Trap Ambush
*False Trap Ambush

Neutral/Either:

*Offensive Defense
*Defensive Offense
Basic Ambush
*Sprinters' Ambush
Split Ambush
*Staggered Ambush
*Distraction Ambush
Troll Ambush
False Charge
*Commander Roulette
Basic Sprint
A Light in The Dark
Adrenaline Charge
Suicide Charge
Ambushers' Retreat
False Commander
Hit-And-Run

I think I scared everyone off with my insanity...no one;s responding!

Edited By Duxburian on 1152663563
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:48 pm

I don't know what you're asking of us, therefore I cannot give proper help. Sorry.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

DX

Post by DX » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:05 pm

I'm asking if anyone knows any tactics that I either don't, or forgot in the above list. I really don't want to leave anything out. But one problem is that new tactics can be created out of the blue in a single war. The "Swinging Pendulum Defense" was a byproduct of Sunday's war, for example. And because of that tactic, fighting outnumbered suddenly can get a whole lot easier. I'm not sure if it's possible to finish this epic article/book, due to the constantly changing conditions of battle.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:51 pm

I guess it makes sense for me to read the introduction first. I thought the asterisked items were names you had invented but wanted to put tactics to. Well shoot me fer bein' stupid! As my grandfather would say.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

DX

Post by DX » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:59 pm

I reworded that part to make it more clear. I saw what I think you thought the meaning was, but it took a few read-throughs. :p I put the asterisks in there as an afterthought. The best stuff is often the most difficult to understand, so I may group the tactics both by type and difficulty.

Dacca

Post by Dacca » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:52 pm

how about a basic vangaurd formation. the use of charging with a < or ( shape allows easier surrounding of enemy troops. the best example of this was it's use by Hannibal's troops to defeat the Romans.
more reliable then a max-D trigger

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:18 am

I think I scared everyone off with my insanity...no one;s responding!

I think part of the problem is that some of the tactical terms are of formations or maneuvers that members don't know the formal name for. It is a little tricky for those unfamiliar with the terms to know whether something is already listed there or not (or exactly what is listed).

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:57 am

The only thing I think is missing is the basic hit-and-run tactic, which is used very often and should not be missed. Though, I'll admit it might be included under a different name.

:;):

DX

Post by DX » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:20 pm

Hit and Run actually wasn't on there...added under Neutral/Either.

As for the names, some are [or were] real military tactics such as "Double Envelopment". Others have a name made up to describe what's going on, such as the "Swinging Pendulum Defense".

Edited By Duxburian on 1152663761