The Importance of Light Troops - Consider this before you deploy!

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
Belisaurius
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by Belisaurius » Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:47 pm

Commanders regularly underestimate the importance of light troops in water wars. With an almost universal tend towards increased power and range at the cost of mobility, a comander can actually harm chances at success. Quick moving, light troops can secure objectives faster and provide necessary backup in any skirmish. In the African battles of World War 2, the Allies originally favored an all-tank method, where there were no infantry or light mechanized untis to support the tanks. They felt that the tanks themselves were enough to win any battle. When faced with the integrated mechanized forces that the German commander Rommel employed, the flaws in the Allied tactic became clear.

Historically, light troops have always played a large role in defeating more heavy enemies. Light troops can react faster to situations than heavy units, and can avoid many of the attacks heavier units typically use to eliminate enemies. In a water war, light troops are esential when combatting enemies with better technology than you.

A light unit can run down fleeing enemies much more easily than a heavier unit. Lightly armed skirmishers can protect the flanks and rear of a maneuver, and can be used to hold a location long enough for heavier units to arrive and be deployed. When crossing rivers or negotiating another such terrain objective, light troops can be used to buy time for heavier units to get to more easily defended positions. they can be deployed in front of a maneuver, to prevent the enemy from determining what the deployment of heavier units is. In guerilla combat, light troops can make quick strikes and then fade into the terrain quickly. By using natural features like dense vegitation to limit an enemy's ability to react and to negate range and power advantages, skirmishers can overcome a heavier unit with little to no effort.

Ignoring the importance of light roops can be fatal to any commander. Whenever you battle, make sure you have soem skirmishers to counter your enemy, and to take important objectives. do as much as possible to negate enemy tech advantages with quick strikes and proper deployment of troops. Light roops can be very effectively deployed as bait for an ambush. They have the freedom of movement not enjoyed by heavier units, and can help prevent an opponent from gaining more ground by providing essential set-up time for the heavier firepower. I firmly suggest you deploy a unit of skirmishers whenever possible!

-Belisaurius

For similar articles, look on the Waterbridge Team Website, Hydrotactics!

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:16 am

I'm torn. I'd like to repost your article within the iSoaker.com Articles section, but also realize that 'tis a good way to promote your site. If it sounds good to you, I propose to post your article along with the link to your site on iSoaker.com's Articles section (similarly to how you posted your article above). Otherwise, I'm also content to just leave it here, but the info is good.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Belisaurius
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by Belisaurius » Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:47 am

:)

I have no issues with this being added to the Isoaker database. I have more where that came from too - I'll post another article or two at some later date.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:28 am

Cool! In that case, once I get a moment, I'll add it in (but will add in a link to your site as well from the page assuming you don't mind). :cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

SilverFist

Post by SilverFist » Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:50 am

your tactic sounds more suitable for a real army with real weapons like tanks. During a waterfight, basically everyone is a light infantry men, even the guy carrying the MXL. Yes, there are troops who are faster than others, but basically speaking, the difference in speed and mobility is not that great between water warriors.

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:04 am

Speed is a huge part of water warfare. I'm not up to, nor will I ever be, willing to go around running with an MXL as fast as someone with a CPS 2100. Larger guns make for a different type of mobile infantry person. It's important to realize that the person with a CPS 2000 is basically a tank. And the person with a CPS 2100 is an infantry soilder. I find it impossible to lug around my MXL in a game. Therefore I don't use it because I find speed is more important and plays the hugest role of the game. In one skirmish at WaterBridge, speed was a huge issue getting to and away from water sources. A person running with a MXL will not beat a person running with a CPS 1200 or 1000. Light infantry is a very very huge part in water battles and should always be a large thought in a commanders mind.
Soaker Media
-[color=E9E9E9]Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci[/color]-

cooldood31

Post by cooldood31 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:49 am

I can run pretty well while using my MX and 2100. Every person on my team can run well with their fully loaded weapons, and none of them have less than a 2100 or splashzooka. The team we ussually play against often uses swift attacks with lighter weapons. We just blast them as they run by/around us. Light attacks aren'tthat hard to counter. And if you need coverfire, poweroacks and splashzookas work fine. Light infantry is almost never needed

DX

Post by DX » Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:31 pm

Well it sounds like you don't have very organized wars or equal teams. In the wars I fight in there are two teams, Waterbridge adn the CFM. We are basically equal in strength, so tactics and mobility can be decisive factors. We also fight in wooded areas where you can't just run around and soak people. Light troops are needed, but too light and then their guns can't support their tactics. Light attacks can be hard to counter in our battlefield terrain. I also think skirmishers may play a part in our next battle, and that in thick woods a heavy weapons reliant team will lose to a mobile lightly armored team.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

vaporizer

Post by vaporizer » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:05 pm

Duxburian wrote:Well it sounds like you don't have very organized wars or equal teams. In the wars I fight in there are two teams, Waterbridge adn the CFM. We are basically equal in strength, so tactics and mobility can be decisive factors. We also fight in wooded areas where you can't just run around and soak people. Light troops are needed, but too light and then their guns can't support their tactics. Light attacks can be hard to counter in our battlefield terrain. I also think skirmishers may play a part in our next battle, and that in thick woods a heavy weapons reliant team will lose to a mobile lightly armored team.
^ Then I guess my team pwns. :p

Ahh, watever. A team of 4 guys(my team) w. nothing better than a CPS 1000 against a team of 6 w. CPS 2500s and CPS 3000/3200s would never stand a chance.
My Armory:
2 MD2K
1 MD3K
1 MD5K
1 Vaporizer
1 XPsed 270 (balloons blew out, and fixed it w. a rubber band)
2 WW Glow- Blasters
1 Spider-Man soaker
1 Flash Flood
1 Triple Shot
1 Gremlin

Coming Soon
Aquapack Devastator
Liquidator

Edited by vaporizer on April 01 2005, 13:10

DX

Post by DX » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:49 pm

Then you would just love to fight the Ridgewood Militia. Your guns, none better than a CPS 1000 vs our large and powerful CPS's, heavily modded guns, homemades, and WBLs. :p You would face my [somewhat] famous 65ft. shooting 2100s [3 of them], 4 douchenators, multiple 2500s, multiple 3200s, a 2000, practically nothing worse than a CPS 1000. :laugh: :D

Edited By Duxburian on 1112403013
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

vaporizer

Post by vaporizer » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:24 pm

Duxburian wrote:Then you would just love to fight the Ridgewood Militia. Your guns, none better than a CPS 1000 vs our large and powerful CPS's, heavily modded guns, homemades, and WBLs. :p You would face my [somewhat] famous 65ft. shooting 2100s [3 of them], 4 douchenators, multiple 2500s, multiple 3200s, a 2000, practically nothing worse than a CPS 1000. :laugh: :D

^ I'd wet myself multiple times if my untrained team vs. your team. Flash Flood vs CPS anything = :(
My Armory:
2 MD2K
1 MD3K
1 MD5K
1 Vaporizer
1 XPsed 270 (balloons blew out, and fixed it w. a rubber band)
2 WW Glow- Blasters
1 Spider-Man soaker
1 Flash Flood
1 Triple Shot
1 Gremlin

Coming Soon
Aquapack Devastator
Liquidator

Edited by vaporizer on April 01 2005, 13:10