career thread - what is your chosen job?

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
Veteran

Post by Veteran » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:04 am

Not if he had to taste-test the food himself...

Anyway, I want to be an Archaologist or Herbalist.

Field Marshal Yang

Post by Field Marshal Yang » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:29 am

Adrian wrote:I've often considered entering politics, but I have no interest in going into law or journalism school. Plus I'm too radical, and I always try to tell the truth. And I don't suffer fools gladly. 3 traits that would not get me far in the world of politics.

Adrian
By the way, what does it mean to suffer fools gladly?

Alas, I also have the problem of being far too honest for politics. I often feel guilty when I lie so that's one thing that's going to restrict me. And like you my views are far too radical for the majority of the public to accept.
Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fate of Human Societies, by Jared Diamond

Forceuser

Post by Forceuser » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:40 am

I want to be a computer programmer of some sort. I don't know what language to program or what for yet though. Games design looks fun. A good program for making your own games in, I have been told, is darkbasic (darkbasic.com). Although it still needs you to learn code it is a lot easier than C ++.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:04 am

Field Marshal Yang wrote:
Adrian wrote:I've often considered entering politics, but I have no interest in going into law or journalism school. Plus I'm too radical, and I always try to tell the truth. And I don't suffer fools gladly. 3 traits that would not get me far in the world of politics.

Adrian

By the way, what does it mean to suffer fools gladly?

Alas, I also have the problem of being far too honest for politics. I often feel guilty when I lie so that's one thing that's going to restrict me. And like you my views are far too radical for the majority of the public to accept.

To suffer fools gladly means to put up with stupid people. I'm much more likely to tell someone "you're full of crap and here's why" rather than let them blather on about stuff that they either know nothing about or stuff that is just blatantly wrong (misguided or bad).

As for lying...while I'd feel guilty telling a lie, I have very little problem doing it for the right reasons. That said, I always tell the truth when I can.

Adrian

Edited By Adrian on 1093615533
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

Field Marshal Yang

Post by Field Marshal Yang » Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:53 am

Adrian wrote:To suffer fools gladly means to put up with stupid people. I'm much more likely to tell someone "you're full of crap and here's why" rather than let them blather on about stuff that they either know nothing about or stuff that is just blatantly wrong (misguided or bad).
Whenever somethign like that happens to me I argue back with my own opinion and I often lose my temper when the otehr guy stubbornly holds onto what he was saying. And that brings me that my other problem: a short temper. Now, I can be insulted and not get angry but if I don't get me way (ex: if someone dosen't accept my opinion), that's when I start glaring at people and getting louder. Online of course, no one sees and me face to face and I don't get in confrontations.
Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fate of Human Societies, by Jared Diamond

Space_Cowboy

Post by Space_Cowboy » Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:28 am

Are you saying that you get mad when people disagree with you, or if they stubbornly/irrationally disagree with you?

I don't care if people disagree with me, as long as they support their opinion with a little thing called "reasons."

That said, if someone argues with me without reason:

1) I say sarcastically: "Yeah, I guess you're right." And walk away.

2) I might do what Adrian does, and say "You're full of crap, and here's why."

Edited By Space_Cowboy on 1093703880
With a name like Manhole Mayhem, it has to be good...

leprekan

Post by leprekan » Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:58 pm

The dark ANNIHILATOR wrote:
leprekan wrote:I could pinstripe your giant laser!!!! might be pricey though, seeing as it's an awfully big job and travel costs would be enormous... :D :p

Oh, the actual Laser will be only Pen size. It will be attached to a 7 Mile volume cardboard structure for show(I doubt it will rain there, so cardboard should be fine.) As for the traveling costs, if I would be short on cash I would just pay some astronaut to rectum-smuggle the laser and some glue for the cardboard.
whoa!!! just how powerful is this laser? I could find that awfully useful... :goofy: :D