Communities' Landscape - Present to Future

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:18 am

At present, there are two more active forums, the large one over at SSCentral and the growing on here. There are also a few smaller forums that have varying levels of activity. Whenever "II" launches, I foresee a decrease in activity of the two more active forums since some members will be undoubtedly enticed to join the new board. That, in itself, is fine, but I wonder whether some may just be curious to see "II" simply because it may (things might change, though) be based in name on a past community.

What I hope not to see is sub-member allegiances to specific communities. I already have seen how some members in some places prefer posting on one board or another: some just because they feel more comfortable in one board; some because they don't like the other board. 'tis a subtle but significant difference in reasoning. I, myself, don't post at SSCentral, but it is from my own uncomfortability on that board. From the posts I've read, I just don't feel my presence as "iSoaker.com" would be taken well, thus have avoided it. However, I am a member and I read the forums since there is a lot of good information there. Others, though, who haven't gone to SSCentral should at least take a look at what other forums offer. When "II" launches, check it out as well. Different places have their own strengths and weaknesses. As these places are only forums, members should feel free and interested to explore the info pools available.

I suppose time will tell what the future holds for online Soakerdom.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:41 am

isoaker_com wrote:I, myself, don't post at SSCentral, but it is from my own uncomfortability on that board. From the posts I've read, I just don't feel my presence as "iSoaker.com" would be taken well, thus have avoided it.
I'm not entirely sure why you feel that way, iSoaker...speaking for myself as a global moderator I would be very pleased to see your posts there, and I'm sure you would have a lot to contribute to the forums.
SSCentral Forums - K modded forums.

ISS: Soaker Sagas - histories of soaking personnel and water blasters. Post your own today!

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:46 pm

As you said Isoaker, you prefer the comfortability of one board vs another. We're just trying to add another option.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:24 pm

Veteran wrote:As you said Isoaker, you prefer the comfortability of one board vs another. We're just trying to add another option.
I know and as I said in the other thread, I have nothing against new communities. My main complaint with "II" is that it may be a "II" as opposed to something new.

As for my feelings with posting on SSCentral, well, simply put, if you saw what I see from my view, you'd likely feel the same, too. At the same time, I'm glad SSCentral exists as it does offer another viewpoint on things. I just don't wish to be 'known' there though I am there. It is quite different when I post there 'anonymously' as opposed to posting there as an "isoaker_com" identity.

Field Marshal Yang

Post by Field Marshal Yang » Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:50 pm

I started off in December 2002 posting at Club Aquatica near the end of its run. I also discovered WWN, which I joined in January of 2003. I posted more at Aquatica until it ended, so then I posted only a WNN. Once SSC was created, I never remembered to regiester and as the year went by I decided to stay at WWN. That's probably the same thing that's going to happen with me and isoaker forums. I simply feel more familiar in a place run by isoaker. If I had more time I'd probably join SSC and/or Aquatica II.

Edited By Field Marshal Yang on 1092016358
Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fate of Human Societies, by Jared Diamond

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:10 am

if you saw what I see from my view, you'd likely feel the same, too

I post here without any trouble. In fact, I like posting here because there are a lot of people who have good things I'd want to talk about. Where there is discussion I typically will post.

It doesn't take much time at all to join a forum and bookmark it. I browse 5 or 6 forums daily and post at 3 or 4. Doesn't take too long at all, at least for me.

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:07 pm

I enjoy posting here most, though I do check out SSC because of it's info and because I'm a mod and my job depends on it. :goofy:

Excelite

Post by Excelite » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:21 pm

I check out SSC.net for info, but I'm too lazy to actually post there. The site itself is great for the info.
abusing the ellipsis since before you n00bs got here

Field Marshal Yang

Post by Field Marshal Yang » Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:53 pm

I would like to post at SSS but like Excelite I'm a bit too lazy to change an internet routine I'm accustomed to. Also, if I used my original amount of internet, I'd have to remove some several parts of routinue. However, it is a great site with an extensive amount of info and some original things that can't be found here.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:25 pm

My hope for present and future communities is simple: separate communities, but shared information pools.

One big community suffers the danger just in case a server goes down or the admin give up or some other issue occurs. Thus, having a few separate communities ensures that at least one board should be running even if another is having temporary problems. However, as things are evolving towards, I hope for happy and free information exchange between communities. We are all into soaking, though our specific soaking preferences may vary slightly. Different communities have their own specific feels, thus appealing to different members. Some members feel at home in all places while others may find a particular community more fitting to their personality than another. However, what I like seeing is members of communities being pointed towards where the good information lies: either in another community or in another site. Sometimes, there are a couple of sites with similar information. Different view points are good to read.

leprekan

Post by leprekan » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:10 pm

what about a central hub that all forums could have links to? it would be like the community or general discussions forums, only it linked to a separate page that all sites would link to. that way, all forums could link seamlessly (at least relatively so) and share information. you could call it the 'forum link'. thoughts? comments?

and maybe you could get it to match the layout of the forum you linked from with clever programming. who knows.

Edited By leprekan on 1092280360

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:26 am

leprekan wrote:what about a central hub that all forums could have links to? it would be like the community or general discussions forums, only it linked to a separate page that all sites would link to. that way, all forums could link seamlessly (at least relatively so) and share information. you could call it the 'forum link'. thoughts? comments?

and maybe you could get it to match the layout of the forum you linked from with clever programming. who knows.

Uh... a "central hub" would be no more than another community. It has been attempted in the past by both Aquatica and WaterWar.net. To build it, one would need support from the various communities. At present, not sure attempting a 'central' hub is a good idea simply due to the current small size of Soakerdom.

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:57 pm

Right now, we run on a sort of Dual-Hub system. Between SSC and iSc, we either link directly to or provide links that will then link to every SS site on the web. Basically, all of the pages linked to iSc or SSC will have links to other pages, which have links to other pages... hence a "web." All of the Super Soaker websites (probably) are somewhere linked in the web of iSc, SSC, and their linked pages.
Follow? :goofy:

leprekan

Post by leprekan » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:07 pm

true, but what i am saying is that we should have a way for everybody to communicate without having to sign up at another forum or even leave the website they are posting the most on. I'd like to post at ssc, but i don't have the time and I only have a one or two-track mind. if i start regularly posting at three different sites i will have trouble remembering what is going on and who is who. In a nutshell, it would be a way for people like me to experience the input of other sites without leaving home turf.

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:48 pm

I will always join and post at every forum, at least a little. I feel it pays back some of the hard work the people put into making their boards.

Field Marshal Yang

Post by Field Marshal Yang » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:44 pm

leprekan wrote:true, but what i am saying is that we should have a way for everybody to communicate without having to sign up at another forum or even leave the website they are posting the most on. I'd like to post at ssc, but i don't have the time and I only have a one or two-track mind. if i start regularly posting at three different sites i will have trouble remembering what is going on and who is who. In a nutshell, it would be a way for people like me to experience the input of other sites without leaving home turf.
In that case, it would sort of be like how you can sign up for Yahoo mail and still be able to send e-mails to someone with a Hotmail account. Out of curiousity, does the same thing apply to Instant Messangers? ex: can AIM users chat with ICQ or MSN Messanger? Anyway, such a system has yet to beinvented and it would require the consent of all the communities' administrators.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:29 am

leprekan wrote:true, but what i am saying is that we should have a way for everybody to communicate without having to sign up at another forum or even leave the website they are posting the most on. I'd like to post at ssc, but i don't have the time and I only have a one or two-track mind. if i start regularly posting at three different sites i will have trouble remembering what is going on and who is who. In a nutshell, it would be a way for people like me to experience the input of other sites without leaving home turf.
Uh... no, not a good idea.

Allowing someone to be able to post in every site without having to leave one site is just asking for problems from spammers, etc. As well, part of the thing that makes the different communities work is that they do have different feels to them. If there was a cross-posting section, why even have separate places at all?

The Net is open. Members should explore to find the info and/or the place they like interacting with. Sometimes you just need to take the time to look around. If you never check out other sites, some good sites will be missed if they are not linked.

I prefer communities being seperate, but having open communication lines between them (i.e. reference posts on one place to another if good information is located elsewhere).

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:01 am

ex: can AIM users chat with ICQ or MSN Messanger?

Actually you can in some programs, but I believe you need to have an account in all 3 protocols.

It would be completely possible to have an international Super Soaker forum like many other subjects have. The problems arising from this include who to run it, what forum software to use, who pays the bills and if it would actually make a difference with the small community as a whole. There is unspoken rivalry between the top sites, and that may be shown in such a forum. I also wouldn't like to go on another one of these pilgrimages. Simply put, I don't think that the idea would work very well immediately, there probably would be some transition period like after the Aquatica Ikonboard. It also would need support from the community as a whole to even start up.

Edited By Doom on 1092404191

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:28 am

It would be completely possible to have an international Super Soaker forum like many other subjects have.

There already are; SSCentral and these forums have members from different parts of the globe. :goofy:

What is different between the current sets of forums and what Aquatica or WaterWar.net was is that the current forums are more focussed on the site that is hosting it whereas Aquatica and WaterWar.net really had no major site content; the only value in those communities were the forums, themselves.

I miss the old set-up, but as Doom mentioned, the problems on who would run it, pay for it, set it up, etc. not to mention how long the set of forums would last...