Navy Warfare - Crazy, but still Feasible.

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:10 pm

I don't live in the right place to try this, but what about sea battles on small lakes.

One team could start out controlling one side of land across the lake and the other team controls the other side. Sure, you can walk around it, but what about using old boats and modifying them, or making your own boat from scratch. They could be armed with AP WBLs and/or water launchers. Now you can transport troops across the water, have battles between boats in the middle of the lake, use your ships as sea-to-land bombardment platforms, ect.

Imagine this: A water war version of D-Day. That could be just epic.

Maybe I'm just feeling hyped, but I think this is something that could really be done. The biggest problem is you must have a large body of water to fight over regularly. Considering the level of ingenuity I've seen in the water war community, I think that It wouldn't be too hard to construct a ship or ships.

So, what do people think, I'm open to any suggestions or comments.
The Maple-Mountain-Marines.

Terrifying, but oddly refreshing.
-B.D.

DX

Post by DX » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:49 pm

The idea is certainly not old. On the old Waterbridge Forum, a 2004 topic called "Navy" can be found. We toyed with the idea, but never found it practical on such a shallow brook as the one which runs through Waterbridge.

As funny and far-fetched as it sounds, there is one place where limited naval warfare could be an option. Several years down the road, I will host a New England Regional War, at a battlefield with a nice lake with a 5 mile coastline:

Kayaks and small row boats could actually be used. That lake has little inlets and peninsulas that jut out randomly, so it would be interesting.

Edited By Duxburian on 1154648992
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:26 pm

That place in the pics looks great. A few islands in the middle of the lake could make things interesting. If you are having many battles over such a place, then I would use something better than just an ordinary row-boat or Kayaks (though I do own a Kayak and they're fun).

What I was thinking about was more like taking something like a large row boat, then adding shielding on the sides, along with other such modifications. Or what might be even better, would be to create your own from scratch. Start with making a large, log-raft (or something similar), then start building upwards from that.

The place you're describing looks and sounds like a perfect place for it. I'f only you could host battles on it more often.
The Maple-Mountain-Marines.

Terrifying, but oddly refreshing.
-B.D.