Hydrolysis V2 - second installment

Water warfare tactical scenarios, role-playing threads, and fictional stories.
TacticalTyphoon

Hydrolysis V2 - second installment

Post by TacticalTyphoon » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:52 pm

I am very proud to present the second installation of Hydrolysis V2. P.S. - On the image, please excuse the slightly oversized Monster XL! That's all I'll say. ;)

"Rorke's Drift"

http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo13 ... 1276202847

A scout with a Storm 750 runs up the small hill you are positioned on and pants before approaching you.

"Holy sh*t! You have NOT seen that!" the Scout says, his eyes popping out of his head.
"What? What's so bad James?!" you say, desperatre for the news.
"There's so many of them sir! I count 16! How do they muster that many?!?" James exclaims, clearly exasperated from escaping the equivelant of a small water war battlaion.

Sixteen? The number is actually starting to hit you. You have just eight men....your arsenal consists of two SC 600's, two XP 310's, a CPS 2500, a CPS 3000, and a pair of CPS 1200's. And of course, the Scout's Storm 750.

"What was their weaponry, James?" you ask quitely.
"Most of them had the same gun sir - just Arctic Shocks, sir. Chilly water. But I saw some Flash Floods and Vindicators too! And - and a WBL!"

You ponder over the options - the enemy are only 60 feet away, and closing quick. Your mind races, but you smile as you realise a battle plan....

NOTES FOR THE MAP: Remember your mini-base is on a slight hill. And remember there is a pond, and the enemy have tree cover until they're about 15ft from your base!

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Hydrolysis V2 - temp

Post by SEAL » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:16 pm

I'm a terrible strategist so if I come up with an awful plan you'll know why. :goofy: Here goes...

First off, how high are the barricades? And how is the MXL hooked up to a hose? Is the cap modded or something?
I'll assume that the barricades are about 3 and a half feet high, and the MXL's cap is modded.

I would get everyone except the scout to hide behind the barricades to bluff the opponents into thinking he's the only one there.
If they fall for the bluff, hopefully they'll use up a WBL shot at the scout, and while he's reloading, everyone will jump up and quickly try to take out the WBL user as fast as possible. Then go for the Vindicator users. The rest of them will be pretty easy to outdistance, especially from higher ground.

If they don't fall for the bluff, the scout will then tell everybody, and the whole team will split up and try to flank the opponents from both sides while staying on the high ground. Everyone will mostly focus on taking out the Vindicators. The WBL user can only shoot at one person at a time, and when he does fire he'll have to reload, and then he'd be vulnerable. Although everyone will probably defend him while he's reloading, most of my team should be able to outdistance all but the Vindicator users, who, if my team does it right, should be mostly eliminated. When the WBL and all the Vindicators are taken out, the rest should be easy cheese.
The FF's would only be dangerous at close range, but most of the team's blasters can outdistance them, so we would never have to get close to them.

This may not be the best plan in the world, but it's what I would do in real life, cause like I said, I'm not the best strategist.
Oh by the way, in both scenarios, the MXL would be kept out of sight until the team attacks. The scout would then man it, and try to take the opponents out. If he can't reach them with the MXL, he can take the hose out and use that. =P

Edit: What the... Where did your post go Typhoon?
Edit #2: Oh I see. Never mind.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

martianshark

Re: Hydrolysis V2 - second installment

Post by martianshark » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:23 pm

That's way too easy. They have mostly Arctic Shocks, and we have mostly CPSs? Honestly, I'd just charge and we'd probably win, but to be safe, and to make our plan more fun, I'll do this.

One of the XP 310 users drops his gun and takes the MXL. The hose is disconnected so that everyone can use it. I tell the other XP 310 user to go out one of the top barracade openings, sneak around in the woods, and take out as many Arctic Shock users as he can. All he has to do is stay out of their range, an shoot them. If he eluminates all of them, come back. If he is attacked by big guns, he will try to defeat as many as he can before he's eluminated.
If the XP 310 user fails to take out all of the AS users, I send one of the CPS 1200 to do the rest. The CPS 1200 should succeed easily, but if not, I'll just go on to step 2 of my plan since most of the AS users should be elminated.
Now I'm going to use one of the CPS 1200 users to take out some of the bigger guns. It's okay if he doesn't come back, but it would be nice if he did. Now either all of the other team is gone, or most of them are.
One of the things we need to defeat is the WBL. This shouldn't be too hard since WBLs don't have great accuracy. But someone will have to come in range to shoot it. I'm going to have the MXL do this, because his gun is huge and can be used as a shield against water balloons. Unless the barriers are movable, in which case, I'd take the top one, and have the MXL and Storm 750 go behind it while moving it forward. When close enough, the Storm 750 would shoot him. If somehow he gets hit, The MXL will come out and take him out. If somehow he fails, I'm just going to have everyone charge. He can't stop all of us.
After the WBL is gone, we just surround the forest, move in, and eluminate whoever's left of their team.

Please point out any problems you see.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:49 pm

First things first. Detatch that Monster XL and hook up a VHS to that hose! Ok, let's say I was completely unprepared, unaware there was a hose, and have no VHS nor even a gardening nozzle availble. Then detatch the MXL, move the hose back as a refill point (because we all know the hose fills much faster than in a pond), and use the XL simply as a mounted weapon by itself! When it needs to be SC'd, it can be.

The barriade provides a great defensive position, assuming the enemy can't simply go around it. The few gaps in it can be covered very easily as well. I'm assuming the barricade's at least 7ft tall or it'd be pretty useless. Even then, all troops along the wall must be careful since arced shots can be made easily.

For one, I'm very surprised that the scout was never spotted. Perhaps he was using binoculars and standing back quite far.

Nonetheless, the scout will be designated as a runner and given a 310. (Because we all know that the S750 is just a sidearm; anyone can take it.) Another troop will take charge of the XL and everyone else will form a perimeter around the area. With the superior range of the CPS's and MXL, plus the fact that 5 of these guns, means that everyone holding them can be spread out with effective, but overlapping fields of fire. The other 3 will mostly assist in keeping these 5 troops filled up, but the scout can also be sent on suicide or running missions.

The enemy must make a fast charge with everyone they have in order to mount an effective attack, though their WBL can take out careless gunners which is the main danger. If enough of them breach the perimeter, the whole team will be compromised. Therefore the gunners on the perimeter must be careful to dodge all WBL attacks (they have cover so it's not that hard) and still be able to suppress the charge. The WBL's rate of fire severely limits its ability to suppress the gunners.

That seems to be the most effective strategy for the enemy nonetheless. The enemy's WBL should get as close as safely possible, zero in on the MXL, and let a shot fly when one of the blue team members reach it. If blue team relies on the XL heavily to cover that field of fire, then red team can just send a whole group charging through that gap.

Charging through however, is still a risky maneuver, especially if blue team is quick to setup their perimeter (which is not difficult to do) and have their guns ready. In that case, red team can try a war of attrition, luring blue team away. Assuming they have a virtually unlimited supply of water balloons, they can bombard the perimeter with high arced shots again and again. Eventually, someone on blue's got to get hit, especially if the WBL fires several balloons at a time. If they continue this strategy instead of charge the defensive position, the blue team has no choice but to attack the reds, who can use the woods and their numbers to overwhelm the blues despite their weaponry's considerable lack of range.

I'll be posting my own scenario soon, though it's more of a full game than a scenario.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

TacticalTyphoon

Post by TacticalTyphoon » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:35 am

Ahhh, C-A, I see your new strategy thing! I like it, pre-RP! 5 years before my character arrives haha!

On to reviewing the strategies: First thing first, I am again sorry about my ambiguousity! I often leave off little details because I'm eager to post the new scenario for you guys. I should mention the following:

- The barricades. They were meant to be tough cardboard, dug slightly into the ground and about 5ft high. They could take 1 water balloon; any more would crush them. They could stand up to a fair bit of soakage though. This doesn't seem to be too much of a problem for the strategies though.
- The hill you are on is only very gentle, but nevertheless, a hill. The WBL guy would have to take even this into account.
- I was unaware that the MXL was unable to connect to a hose! I thought it could - I swear I read that somewhere. Nevertheless, for the sake of this scenario, I will say the yes, the cap is modded.
- The trees; they aren't really thick so that two or more troops could stand behind them. A single troop could hide behind one. This is where your team has an advantage - your barricades, whilst smaller in height, are long enough to allow up to ten troops to take cover along the longer ones.
- The scout WAS seen by the enemy, hence he was running quite fast from them. They didn't charge after him though; they simply continued to advance through the woods as he was unlikely to pose a threat, or so they thought.
- Their weapons; I probably should have just made it so that the Scout had seen how many of each weapon. For the sake of the scenario, we'll say one man for the WBL, 6 with Arctic Shocks, 6 Vindicators and 3 Flash Floods.

So, my evaluations of each strategy:

@ Seal: I'd say that through over-confidence, they could probably be bluffed. However. I seriously doubt that they would use a WBL to take out one Storm 750 equipped lone wolf. They'd likely just send a couple Arctic Shocks to ensure he is eliminated. So, these two Arctic Shock guys go up and get drenched by your team. Now, with your 8 against their 14, they know you're there.

They'll also likely have seen some of your weapons and know that you have the superior range. So, I'm assuming that after taking the two A-Shocks out, you'd use the tactic from your backup plan, because that plan is for if you failed to bluff them anyway. So you split your 8 men into two 4-men teams to stay on either side of the hill, and the hostiles will have to stream through the middle to attack.

Problem with this is that a) they'll see you moving to those sides and b) When they come into the area, assuming the split their 13 men (without the WBL) to deal with you on both sides, that's 7 of their men on 4 of yours one one side - and 6 on 4 on the other....I'm afraid that even with the better firepower, that's going to swamp you, especially with those nasty Flash Flood riot nozzles at close range.

You also should think about what assets you have; better range, higher ground, pretty much unlimited water and barricades, (which your flanking plan wouldn't have utilised if you allowed the enemy to stream onto your hill).

Using your assets can win the battle easy. For example, the range and higher ground - keep them down on the lower ground! They can't advance if you're putting down water on them constantly from a hill. And you could combine thise with unlimited water; run them dry. You have the water, they don't. And you''ll also get to use your barricades.

Success probability: 50%. There's a chance you could win, but it's not very solid.

Will do the other two evaluations soon.

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:40 pm

I did mention that I would always try to keep the team on higher ground.

Maybe flanking wouldn't be such a good idea, but you must have interpreted my first post incorrectly. (It's not your fault, I'm just not to good at explaining things.)
For one, I did not say I would split the team up to both sides of the hill and let the enemies swarm into the base. I was going to flank them before they even got to the base. But now that I think about it, the team could probably just outdistance them from atop the hill and duck behind the barricades when the WBL guy is about to fire, until he's eliminated.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:40 pm

The MXL can indeed connect to a hose by the Super Charger system. It just doesn't make sense to keep it connected continuously since it pressurizes the MXL to full pressure and reservoir fairly quickly.

5ft barricades are a bit useless unless they can provide overhead cover because the enemy can just arc their shots. Nonetheless, they should still be enough to dodge into for avoiding most shots.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

TacticalTyphoon

Post by TacticalTyphoon » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:19 am

You have to remember that with 5ft barricades, they will cover most of your body, only your head will stick above, probably. So I reckon it would be very difficult for enemies to effectively angle water over it.

@ Seal: As for surrounding them in the woods below, that sounds slightly more bound for success, but again - you're going to be out-numbered and it will be about 6 men on four of yours. You might make it, but the odds are certainly waning.