Hydrolysis V2

Water warfare tactical scenarios, role-playing threads, and fictional stories.
TacticalTyphoon

Hydrolysis V2

Post by TacticalTyphoon » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:57 am

**yes, I'm pretty unoriginal with this title**

Anyway, on to the first scenario. I have provided a URL to the scenario image because when I previewed it as a part of this post, it cut off the right half.

"Assets"

http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo13 ... 1270725484

You look around, viewing the average sized battlefield. There were wood to the north, a pond to the east, and to the north-east was a room, containing the ultimate weapon to turn the tide of this battle: the Monster XL. The other team knew of it too.

Looking around at your troops' weapons, you realise that most of them are lightly equipped for running and gunning. However, you have a CPS 1000; you might not keep up with them, and one of your troops with the CPS 2100 probably won't either.

You couldn't see the enemy team's troops quite well enough, but you knew that their arsenal consisted of three XP 310's, one Vindicator, one Helix and a CPS 1-3-5. You feel sorry for the last two. But to even things out, the enemy were closer to the Monster XL room.

Readying your CPS 1000, you begin to explain your battle plan to the team...

Devise a Battle Plan for this scenario - take into account all of your surroundings, and what you'd do if a part of your plan failed.

martianshark

Re: Hydrolysis V2

Post by martianshark » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:17 pm

Am I supposed to get the Monster XL?

Me, the CPS 2100, and the XP 40 go to the top of the southern forest. If the enemy tries to grab it immediately, they will be attacked by us.

The Flash Flood, the XP 110, and the Shield Blaster sneak around the lake on the edge of the woods. Then they sneak around the enemy and then attack them.

As soon as they attack and the enemy is occupied, we sneak into the northern forest. We move south until we come out the south end and grab the Monster XL. (You know, a better weapon to put there would be a CPS 1500 or XP 150 or something.) I give the MXL to the guy with the XP 40, since he has the smallest weapon. He uses his XP 40 as a backup blaster now. We then join the others and destroy the other team.

If they try to grab the MXL early (from the first paragraph ), me, the CPS 2100, and the XP 40 attack them before they can reach it. Then the rest of the team runs around us (east) and into the east side of the north forest. Then they pop out on the south end, grab the MXL, join us, and destroy the other team.

Any other drawbacks?
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

TacticalTyphoon

Post by TacticalTyphoon » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:37 am

I'm going to evaluate your answer in two parts, since you've provided a backup plan.

PLAN 1: OK, so here, you've decided to intercept the enemy just before they get into the east door of the MXL room, by having both of your teams maneuver around/near the southern forest. Then, whilst your second team strikes the enemy to distract them, you sneak into the MXL room, grab the MXL and eliminate them. There are just some minor problems there. One, you're going to need to cover ground QUICKLY. Remember, the enemy only has to move about 50ft and they've reached the MXL room. Your team may have to move up to 100ft, and your second team (the one with the Shield Blaster, etc) looks like they could be moving in an arc of around 200ft. You'll have to sprint, leaving you tired by the time you engage the enemy. Problem 2 is that the enemy, many years ago, were born, with eyesight. The enemy are going to see you moving. And they could be ready for your strike from the south. Also, when you said that you and the CPS 2100/XP40 would sneak into the MXL room, the enemy could see you then too. It's all a bit risky, and you'll be depending on the enemy being completely distracted - which brings me to my next point. Your second team are going to be 3 men strong, right? With the Flash Flood, Shield Blaster and XP 110? They'll be distracting the enemy (hopefully) whilst your little team gets the MXL. Problem with that is that your second team is 3 men strong, distracting the full enemy 6 men team. Your second team is likely going to be overwhelmed. Well, the Shield Blaster guy might survive, but the other two might get completely drenched by the greater enemy firepower. Eek. So, that would mean that you've got 1 Shield Blaster, and your first 3-man-team, vs. their entire 6 man team. However, I think you might stand a chance, with that MXL. However, this entire First Plan is a bit risky, relying on several points; that the enemy sticks as one unit, that they move in one path, that they get distracted by your second team, etc.

PLAN 2: I don't quite understand here; in your first plan, you talked of them going to the MXL straight away, yet here you say that "if they went to the MXL straight away..."? And plus, it seems quite similar to the first plan; with you and two others attacking the enemy outright and a second team striking them from behind. But in this plan, it seems that your second team has to run RIGHT PAST THE ENEMY to get to their behind...

Nevertheless, the first plan has a good chance of working. Ish.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:43 pm

I don't think I can fix flaw #1. It would require changing the whole plan.

With flaw #2, I thought that we were further away than that. So we would go out of eyesight and sneak into the forest from out of view. Also, I knew that the other half of our team would likely be eluminated, but once we got the MXL, it would be a CPS 1000, CPS 2100, XP 40, MXL, and maybe a shield blaster against whatever's left of the three XP 310's, Vindicator, Helix and a CPS 1-3-5.

It is the same as the first plan. It's just that the two groups switch missions if they try to get the MXL.
Not right past the enemy. They would stay about 50 ft or more away from them off the map.

I understand that this plan is still risky. Oh well.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

TacticalTyphoon

Post by TacticalTyphoon » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:53 pm

If sacrificng a couple men to distract the enemy is part of your plan, and will mean that you'll win with the superior firepower, then that plan's fine.

Just don't tell the second team that part of the plan. ;)

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:04 pm

The key does not explain what the grey lines are. I'm going to assume they're indicating tall walls since that would make the most sense. The game type was also not specified, so I'll assume that it's 1 hit kill elimination for simplicity's sake. I'll also assume that the pond is a valid water source to fill from.

The wooded areas would open possibilities to lure the enemy into them and attack from there but that assumes that the foliage is dense enough for sufficient cover. Attacking the MXL position is risky because the enemy WILL get their first and have the advantage of the position but nonetheless it is still possible. By the time your team rushes to halfway between your starting point and the XL, you and the 2100 will be in range to attack the XL position with high arc'd streams. It may be possible to approach the position without getting soaked by keeping suppressive tap shots fired on the position as your team approaches. You and the 2100 should lead the team to suppress the position and the lighter armed people should move up quickly. It may be better if the lightly armed teammates take point but the 1000 and 2100 must be able to keep firing on the MXL position as everyone moves up. Water balloons would also be helpful here but they are presumably not available since no mention of them was made in the description.

Once you're up to the wall, two members of your team should move through the gap simultaneously and attack at the same time. The other team members should watch to the sides of the structure. The 1000 should lead a small lightly armed group in a formation that enables the lightly armed to engage first. However, they should be in a formation where any enemies would come to the 1000 instead of to those lightly armed. (which means the lightly armed teammates may have to maintain a low profile) If no enemies are in the woods, then everyone should move up and encircle the MXL structure. If pulled off well, the MXL should eventually be yours unless the enemy attacks too aggressively.

There's another problem however. The enemy team could retreat to the southern woods and use the pond to refill and mount a defense. The initial assault must be fast and aggressive and take out as many enemies as possible since they outnumber your team. If attacking the MXL at the start is too risky, then it may be a good idea to move your team to the south woods and to try to bait the enemy to move in. The cover should be thick enough to negate the MXL range, and the rest of the enemy team can be gunned down easily if they try to move in without MXL support. The pond offers a source to refill from which the enemy does not have.

The shield blaster wielder may be able to help the poorly armed members on your team. They may even engage and take out the even more poorly armed enemy units if the opportunity arises. Otherwise they should take a more supportive role. When the 1000 and 2100 are engaging, the lightly armed teammates should run up and attack from the side to assist the medium armed groups.

Really, there's nothing special about the MXL. It has some more range than what you have, but given enough cover and a careless wielder, it can be overcome. Its capacity is also a big advantage, but having the pond to refill from should help a lot.

Also, the differences in mobility amongst your team have been exaggerated considerably in the description. In reality, A CPS 1000 and 2100 will not inhibit mobility much more than the XP 110 and 40 to 50 feet (the distance to the MXL or to the south woods) is an easy sprint for anyone even with a 2500.

----------------------------------

Now if I was the enemy, I'd have the CPS 1-3-5 wielder mod his gun as quickly as possible, drilling the first nozzle and using quick setting epoxy putty to plug up the rest.

Just kidding. I'd be armed with the Vindicator and have the whole team rush for the XL as quickly as possible. The guy with the Helix will presumably be the fastest, thus he should rush for the XL and leave the Helix where it is. It is imperative to grab the XL as quickly as possible in order to counter-suppress the other team. The 1-3-5 should cover a decent field of fire and be effective at breaking up enemy groups who stick too closely together. Everyone counter-attacking should do so over the wall and prevent the enemy from coming in.

It is also possible to stay hidden, and hide closely behind the walls to avoid any streams flying in from above. Wait for the enemy to get in close range and open fire.

However, I would not have the entire team go inside the MXL structure. Actually, four of them should stay out and go around into the north woods. It may also be possible to run towards the south woods to take the pond immediately after grabbing the XL, but this may simply drag the fight into the woods without taking it.

----------------------------------------

This type of scenario is featured in many first person shooter games where players rush to an objective. In many Halo maps, players often rush for the weapon placed on the center of the map, the prime example of this being on The Pit where a group will rush for the rocket launcher. Other games have conquest modes and one of the positions to capture is in the center of the map. The difference in water warfare is that the advantage of the MXL is not as high and can be negated.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

DX

Post by DX » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:15 am

Warning: this is a bit lengthy

There are a lot of unspecified variables in this scenario, so I guess we have to supply our own data for them. I measured the screen and the distance from my starting point to the MXL is about 70ft vs the opponent at 60ft. Now that may sound like a lot, but I'm a sprinter - 70ft is a mere 21 meters, aka a 3-4 second sprint from a standing start. The opponent is about 18m away - the difference is negligible, a couple strides. The opening will depend on the natural abilities of the players, along with their ages. For my response, I am assuming that both sides are evenly skilled and all players are around 21 years old.

I would take my shot for the MXL, starting by vaulting the barrier in front of my starting position, as it is only 3ft high. From there, it is a dead sprint to the structure for the whole team. I cannot possibly reach full speed in such a short distance, but then again, the opponent can't either, and they might not be trained sprinters. The rest of my team sprints to the south side of the structure and forms up on a slant line from the SE corner with the FF at Anchor and XP 40 at Post, with the interior of the line stratified in gun power order, stronger guns to Anchorside. This motion needs to be instinctual, smooth, and fast. This keeps my weaker players slightly beyond range and gets the FF and 2100 up front. Meanwhile, I am in the structure and if the opponent has not reached the opposite door (because my FF and 2100 are right at the SE corner), I can toss the MXL over the wall and the XP 40, being the furthest out, should catch it and give the 40 to the shield blaster to dual wield.

If the opponent moves into the forest to the north, my team needs to cover me via jump shooting over the structure. The FF could do that quite effectively. I'd hold the 1000 over my head to block incoming water, then side-roll back out and take Post at the SW corner. Now is the time to sprint away from the wall and into the forest in front of the pond. This is the only water source marked on the map, so I want to control it. My team forms up for a man-to-man defense (each player faces off against an opponent with similar gun power).

Rather than accept such a fight, I expect them to try and flank either Post or Anchor. Therefore, Anchor needs to be behind a solid tree or some other impassible vegetation. That way, the opponent will want to rush Postside and I can be ready for it. Of the four good guns (1000, 2100, MKL, and FF), one of each needs to be at Post, Center, and Anchor, leaving one open to move to support Post. If the opponent continues to wrap around Post, then Anchorside needs to stretch and one more player needs to move to Postside. At this point, I have a line bent about 75 degrees and only the opposing Postside line is actually in the forest - their Anchorside is still out in the open and cannot get too close.

Surprisingly, no kills should have taken place yet, except perhaps maybe one opposing player got hit with a FF blast in the forest next to the structure. This is where I want a stand-off...perhaps I let the opponent enter the forest a bit by backshifting on Anchorside. I want the fight to bog down, so that I may invoke rotative refilling. Using the 1000, I want to be at Center, where the line bends, and behind a tree, so I can cover two opponents at once. That way, one of my players can depart from the line to refill and return without incident. The entire line will rotate out in this manner, one at a time, until they are all full. The opponent won't be able to do this and may be vulnerable to a counterattack when they start to run low. Upon counterattack, I expect them to wheel and flank again rather than retreat back in the open. However, this is the time to kill as they turn their backs, regardless of where they make their move.

If that works and we get people, the next step is to reverse positions - now we are in the open and their survivors are in the forest. That is perfectly fine because they are still low on water. Now we can gradually press in and force them back to the pond. They might actually retreat into the pond or withdraw to the far bank, negating our numerical advantage in the narrow areas to the left and right. In that case, I'd send the strongest guns left on my side to each side, including myself if necessary. My remaining players with weaker guns then wade into the pond and try to get range on the opponents across the water. The logic here is that the players at Center may be weaker, but it is harder to rush them in water than it is on dry land. At this point, the opponent should be screwed.

Now, for a contingency plan if I fail to get the MXL:
So, the opponent beats me to the door and forces me back. The only one who can actually force me back is the Vindicator, the rest are too weak, even the 1-3-5. Let's also say that my team can't see this taking place, thus they do not jump shoot into the structure. Furthermore, the opposing team gets close enough that my team cannot form the slant line and is forced to form up near the SW corner instead. The Vindicator quickly retrieves the MXL and gets the hell outta dodge.

The plan to control the water source remains the same as before, just that it's more dangerous now. On the defense, I will try to matchup with the MXL, since the 1000 has the best range on my side. I will try to get the user to waste shots on me, but he might be careful to conserve it. The fighting in the forest could go either way. Let's say that the opponent blitzes during rotative refilling. My team falls back and a couple people get hit, leaving say me, 2100, and 40. Now is the time to get out of the forest and into the open. Sounds counter-intuitive to leave cover when you are outnumbered, but your back against the pond and OB line is not where you want to be.

Now begins the Outnumbered Defense. The Opposing team will re-emerge from the forest and come after us. We backpedal a bit and switch to Outnumbered Offense without warning when the opposing players spread just a pinch too much. I drift right and initiate a question mark attack against the opposing player on their left (the foot pattern looks like a ?, with the . being the position of the target). The 2100 should break off early and rush when I rush. We should get that guy and immediately wheel hard right on a C slant and sprint into the southern woods from the eastern side. There is no time to refill under pursuit, but our teammates were killed there and we can get their guns. I wouldn't drop the 1000, but I'd pick up something and sprint again out of the woods carrying both. My team now needs to wheel left and C slant into the northern woods, as fast and far as possible. We need a couple minutes to refill our 1000 and 2100 from the guns we picked up. The 40 player should also now have something better, like the 110 or FF. Under adrenaline pressure, this can be done surprisingly fast.

So now the opponents are upon us again. We can either try to hold in the northern forest, or sprint all the way back to the southern to attempt a refill at the pond. The opposing team may leave a player or two to guard it, but they'll be cautious - the 1000-2100 combo in angle attacks hits hard against XP 310s. We want to target the weak guns first and deal with the Vindicator last. I fully expect to lose the 3rd player somewhere, but he must toss his gun if it's the 2100. Having the 1000-2100 combo is vital for working the Outnumbered Offense in an elimination game. In a scoring game, one player is enough to win, but in elimination, you really need 2 if your dueling skills aren't up to par. To be honest, I am not a great 1v1 dueler, so the odds of winning would greatly decrease if I lose the 2nd player. If down to 1, I sprint around the map again and again trying to get the opponent to make a mistake and also trying to refill if necessary. If MXL has not been killed yet, he probably won't be able to keep up by now and could be an easy takedown, especially in the open.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:05 pm

Are you going to give us another one now?

TacticalTyphoon

Post by TacticalTyphoon » Sat May 15, 2010 7:13 am

Sorry I've been away for a stupid amount of time folks, I've had bloody exams and stuff coming up, so annoying! I'll be devising the next scenario today and posting it. It's going to be better detailed and explained based on your feedback.

I hopee you've all had a bit of fun taking the challenge of planning that last one, even if it wasn't a perfect map.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Sat May 15, 2010 5:29 pm

For maps, I'm currently working on something in Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 for the RP coming up on SSC. When I'm done with that however, I could go back to the older RCT's and come up with maps much faster than in RCT3, or I could try other games. The idea is to get a map in 3D so all the little nauces of wall heights, terrain, specific locations of trees, etc. can be sorted out in more detail.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat