Water Warfare Scenario 5: Behind the Trees

Water warfare tactical scenarios, role-playing threads, and fictional stories.
isoaker

Water Warfare Scenario 5: Behind the Trees

Post by isoaker » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:35 am

Game Type: Team-based One-Hit-Eliminates
Duration: 30 minutes
Number of Players: 9 (you plus 8 others)
Environment: Boreal Forest; lots of trees (oak, maple, pine) at least 1' (30cm) in diameter spaced apart ~10'-20' between trunks. Ground is mostly fallen leaves, pine needles and pine-cones. Some small seedlings, but primary cover available is from the tree trunks.

You and your friends found a good patch of forest for which to hold a water fight. To make things interesting, instead of having just two teams, you and your friends split up into groups of three. Typical armament is Super Soaker XP310/Max-D6000 to Water Warriors Piranha/Tiger Shark calibre equipment. Three starting locations were picked out by the group, roughly equidistant from each other (~300' or so from the other two starting points). Thanks to the trees, each starting point cannot be seen from the other, allowing each team to attempt to perform covert attacks, etc. However, the ground is less compliant as each step is typically met with a soft crunch due to all the leaves, twigs, and pine cones that litter the forest floor.

Each team captain has a cellphone, used for agreeing on when to begin the game. Though each team has a designated captain, all players are roughly of equal skill and can take charge at times depending on the situation; no participant is strict on whether he or she is captain or not.

The Situation:
The game started about 15 minutes ago and your team has progressed as quietly as possible in the rough direction of one of the other teams' starting points, keeping an eye out for any unnatural motion. From the corner of your right eye, you think you see some motion, but are not 100% sure. To be safe, you hand signal to your teammates to take cover behind nearby trees. You are in the middle position with teammates on either side about 15' away each. The motion you thought you saw came from somewhere on the opposite side of the trees you are hiding behind. You attempt to listen closely and think you can make out footsteps approaching slowly. Based on the volume and pace of the steps, they appear to be approaching to within 30' of your location, but not aware that your team is there. Thinking you have the advantage, you psyche yourself up and signal to your teammates to prepare for a surprise attack. Just then, your team's captains cellphone starts ringing (the goof forgot to switch it to silent!). Pretty much anyone in the forest could probably hear it ring!

The approaching footsteps have stopped. You also are not sure about there whereabouts of the other team, either. Now what?

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

XP270

Re: Water Warfare Scenario 5: Behind the Trees

Post by XP270 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:53 am

Literally, Charge! Run, shoot all you got! They probably know where you are by now so take care of them! No more covert tatics!
Retired Leader of the Moubis Militia

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:22 pm

I'm going to assign some labels to clear things up. Our team is blue team, the team whose captain's cell rang is the green team, and the unknown team is red.

Keep the team where they are. The red team should hear the cell and after enough waiting, the 2 other teams will fight each other. Our team will then fight whoever remains. Anyone who's thoroughly played through Halo 2 should get the idea here. If green team keeps approaching, they'll be ambushed by us, but that will likely give away our position to red. In this case, we can scather up a bit and try to reduce our profile. I personally would have the other 2 go prone and stay concealed behind leaves, bushes, and/or trees, while I pop up and get a good view of the whole area. Once I know exactly what red team is doing, I'd lead them into the area where the other 2 are prone, and they'd effectively be ambushed.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

Evangel

Post by Evangel » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:39 am

Uhm, I'm wondering why the guy is even CARRYING a cell phone in a water fight. O_o

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:37 am

Evangel wrote:Uhm, I'm wondering why the guy is even CARRYING a cell phone in a water fight. O_o
"Each team captain has a cellphone, used for agreeing on when to begin the game."

The idea here is that trying to figure out when to start when teams cannot see each others' starting position, this group opted to use cellphones as a simply way to confirm with others. In theory, walkie-talkies could also be used, but since cellphones seem to be a lot more prevalent than walkie-talkies, I opted to write that into the scenario. As well, it's pretty easy to protect a cellphone (or any small electronics) during a water fight simply by placing it into a sealed Ziploc-type bag. That's what I do.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Ox-11

Post by Ox-11 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:04 am

I would (if I could)have my teammates tap shot and boot green team out to face red team, and most likely only one manwould make it out, so the 1 remaining guy from green team would probably take out 2 people,so we just play ambush again.
I can't have a rivalry when my best gun is the Colossus, so don't ask; I can't.

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:00 am

Attack the flank of the enemy if visible. Especially if one of their team members is isolated. If not visible then we retreat and come up with a new plan.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

scottthewaterwarrior
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:26 pm

Well I suppose you mean other then shoot my captain for being such an idiot... Well first I would signal to my teammates to stay where they are and keep a look out. I would then charge the enemy at a crouched run but still slow enough that I could stop and dart to the side if need be. After I made contact with the enemy, assuming I didn't wipe then out myself which isn't likely, I would back off and call my teammates up. I would stay with one teammate behind some close trees while my other tried to outflank them. As soon as the team ether retreated or was eliminated I'd have my team make a defensive triangle each behind our own tree. When the other team is spotted, the guy closest to them would stay where he was and the rest of us would fall back a little ways and make ourselves noticed. We would engage the enemy team and our teammate that we left behind would get them from the rear. In this situation, a lot would depend on ones accuracy and ability to dodge, but that is the best plan I can come up with.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

atvan

Post by atvan » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:19 pm

Penetration. Go in as a triangle, two leading, one pointman, and supressive fire to help cover us. Hopefully , we can get ahead and drop the two in front prone for an ambush, while the pointman covers where the other team is suspected to be, and acts as bait. Eliminate the other team, lose a player, set up an abush with one player, while the other makes a racket to attract attention, then slips away, suicide rushing just as the ambush is executed. Hope a guy comes out alive.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:58 am

Impossible. I would be the captain, and I would probably leave my cell phone back at the starting point. But let's say I'm not fighting with my brothers (But with 3 people per team, it makes sense!), rather we'll say that my teammate is more experienced than myself, so I wouldn't be the captain.

Now bear with me that I may be picturing the terrain differently than in iSoaker's vision of the scenario.
Well, since I can't see the enemies' precise location, I wouldn't want to just rush out, rather I'd employ a favorite trick of mine; I'd grab the captain's cell phone (Okay, in real life I'd probably use a rock or a pine cone, but he'd deserve it.), and hurl it to the left side of the trees. Once it hits something and makes a noise, the enemies' focus would presumably shift from us to the direction of the sound, enabling my team to rush around the right side of the trees and pick targets while their backs are turned. If that doesn't work, I'd retreat and lay low for a while, in the hopes that the other teams will at least partially finish each other off, making it easier to take them out. If they follow us, I'd probably try to find a high area, and hold them off. With some luck, the 3rd team will come upon us, and the 2nd team will be surrounded, and will be eliminated, while hopefully also taking out some of the 3rd team. The remaining people shouldn't be to hard to kill, especially since we have the high ground.

But what if we can't find a high spot? Then I'd probably do the same thing, except I'd hold them off from behind some trees, in a good spot where we can't get blindsided by the other team. If the 3rd team should happen to attack us from the rear, I'd retreat towards either side, and hope that the two enemy teams cripple each other enough to where they'd be easy prey for us.

Of course, a zillion other things could happen, but I don't have time to write them all. :P
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.