Hybrid CPS + Prechargers?

Water blaster concepts and dream designs for water guns and related equipment.
carbonate

Hybrid CPS + Prechargers?

Post by carbonate » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:36 pm

I was designing my upcoming home-made blasters and I was looking through the machines built at SSC. From what I seen, they had came very far from a while ago and are making very feasible weapons themselves (came a very long way from APH to home-made CPS). 2 guns really caught my eyes 1. CPS custom assault riffle , 2. Super Cannon II. However, they both have their pros and cons (i.e. one being more powerful, but not in a fully mobile package (require compressor). My thought was to put the power of Super Cannon in a mobile package which is not tied down to a compressor. Therefore, from my drawing board came a hybrid design that utilizes both of the technology. It is basically similar to CAP, however utilizing a CPS chamber. I' am assuming from this design to combine (Elasticity + Air Pressure). Would this work? Feedback appreciated :goofy: .
Attachments
Concept drawing from the drawing board
Concept drawing from the drawing board
Concept Drawing.JPG (18.4 KiB) Viewed 8014 times

DX

Re: Hybrid CPS + Prechargers?

Post by DX » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:49 pm

That design will not work because the water pump won't draw water. The way it is set up now, the air in the reservoir will come to the top and water won't come into the pump. You could tip it back to draw water when the reservoir is full, but as it gets empty, air will want to get in.

I'm also not sure if the air in the PC will do anything. A CPS chamber in that configuration only has one opening, the one to accept and discharge water. Therefore, there is no way to discharge the air in the PC. It will pressurize and stay pressurized. I'd be willing to bet that it would be too hard to pump in water at pressures high enough to make an impact. If you want to test it, use a valve that can be bled to release the pressure when you are done testing.

The dual motion pump is cool, though, and would work. That kind of thing could be used to create an awesome, 3 check valve PCgH, after tinkering to see which pump needs to be longer. In a PCgH, you'd probably want about 70% water to 30% air, adjusting the pump shaft lengths accordingly. Using a longer and shorter rod would still allow a shared handle.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:34 am

It would be more powerful than CPS alone (not sure about precharger though), but it would be far less durable, as the air pressure would damage the rubber.

atvan

Post by atvan » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:51 am

I second DX's idea. This is a waste of a bladder. A piston would do great here. Besides the reservoir problem, it looks great. DX, why would you only need 3 check valves.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

GJIV

Post by GJIV » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:51 am

:) I am going to build a "mobile" version of the SuperCannon 2. WIll take some more time but in near time it should be finished and be stronger and fire further than the original SC2. WIll need more time though :D

carbonate

Post by carbonate » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:44 pm

I know it wont be strong as SC2, but I think it can be more powerful than standard Colossused CPS, because it will be combining both CPS and instead of piston the bladder basically acts as piston.

Fixes: I added air exhaust valve, extended reservoir intake pipe and added a internal frame for the CPS chamber so the rubber bladder would not get sucked out of the gun.

BTW off-topic: does home depot (Toronto) sell check valves (one-way water valve?)
PS: sorry for the low quality diagram
Attachments
Fixed design
Fixed design
Concept Drawing.JPG (20.98 KiB) Viewed 7957 times

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:33 pm

Not sure about check valves, Home Depot Mississauga and Oakville only have big ABS check valves. I get mine from Rona (though they're swing check valves)

DX

Post by DX » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:43 pm

Oh I almost forgot, you might want a check valve on that air pump. It might draw air from the PC and pump it back again. Adding a check valve would ensure that the air you pump ends up in the PC and cannot be sucked back out.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

atvan

Post by atvan » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:13 pm

You need 2 check valves to make it reliable. Also, remeber KISS, if the bladded is just being a piston, use a piston.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Beware the Purple

DX

Post by DX » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:34 pm

No you don't, it's an air pump. Water pumps require 2 because you're drawing from a specific source. The air can come from anywhere as long as it ends up in the PC every stroke.

atvan

Post by atvan » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:19 am

But if there is no check valve into the pump, the pump will just push the air back where it came from, unless you pump quickly.
Beware the Purple

DX

Post by DX » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:24 pm

But, it's just supplementary air. You don't need as much as in the water pump and they are sharing a handle. So it doesn't matter if it's not 100% efficient, as long as the majority of the air goes into the PC it works out. It's pretty awkward putting a check valve on a homemade air pump.

carbonate

Post by carbonate » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:35 pm

I was just meaning buying a cheap bike pump and attach as air pump instead of making one.

atvan

Post by atvan » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:44 pm

Sounds good.
Beware the Purple