Most effective technologies?

Water blaster concepts and dream designs for water guns and related equipment.
eetech

Most effective technologies?

Post by eetech » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:05 pm

Ok so I'm new to the forum but I'm really looking to get into building water guns. I think they're awesome, first of all. Second, the last time I had one was the CPS 2000 back in 96. I'm now 23 years old and a Junior in electronics engineering technology. I was recently looking for something fun and new to do with friends that wouldn't be ridiculously expensive, so I thought about super soakers. It was pretty disappointing to learn that there's nothing out today that's more powerful than my old CPS 2000. Pretty lame I think, I mean come on this is freaking 2011 we should have all kinds of crazy stuff.

Anyways I'm starting to ramble. The point of this topic is I'm looking for ideas on technologies/methods that are the most effective and efficient means of blasting water with a portable gun. I remember the number on thing that sucked about my CPS 2000 was having to pump it 30 times between shots.

What do you guys think could be done to improve that?

Electric motor and hydraulics? Maybe a big lever and gear system with hydraulics or a piston? I'm looking to really improve the time lag between heavy shots, primarily. I'd like no more than 5 or so seconds between .5 to 1L shots. I already do a lot of work with electronics and microprocessors so if there's anything in that area that could potentially make it more awesome then that's definitely a possibility.

If I can come up with anything really special I'll of course be responding with a building guide.

But there's just gotta be SOMETHING that can be done to really maximize the water output over time.

martianshark

Re: Most effective technologies?

Post by martianshark » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:14 pm

My favorite homemade water guns are hose-charged PRHs. In this gun, you use a hose adapter that you stick into the gun, and the hose fills the gun in a few seconds - no pumping required. The 2L homemade is a small example of this, but I've made several large PRHs out of PVC. They're really powerful. I don't have enough time to explain all of it right now. I'll post some drawings tomorrow to show you how it works.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

eetech

Post by eetech » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:22 pm

My main concern would be the number of shots you get between each recharge.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:29 pm

Much water gun tech is a matter of cost. For most, air pressure and CPS are the best methods within reach of the wallet. Generally, the most high tech water gun ever designed is the CAP which runs on regulated HPA. Motors and hydraulics would likely add too much weight to a water gun and remember that as water output increases, the power needed to launch it farther increases exponentially. In other words, you get diminishing returns for every bit of power you add to a water gun; diminishing returns to both range and velocity. (Velocity and range can conflict with each other, and the best balance between them is debatable.)

If you don't want to deal with pumping time between shots, the best way to do it is to pre-pressurize everything, where all water you carry is pressurized beforehand. The most common example of this is the SC Power Pak, which consists of a CPS backpack and a tube leading to a small gun that's essentially nothing but a trigger/valve and nozzle.

Larami used to be at the forefront of water gun technology development. They made huge innovations but after they merged with Hasbro, the quality of Super Soaker products took a massive dive and very little innovation has taken place from them thereafter. Buzz Bee Toys, started by Larami employees after the merge, created their own line of blasters, the Water Warriors. BBT has created unique design concepts from this line over the years, such as a pre-pressurizing air system, the Hydro Power pressure chamber, the bladder embedded in the reservoir, and the spring-powered pressure chamber. None of these deliver the next generation of water blasting, but they are innovations nonetheless.

At the forefront are modders and homemade builders. Ben at SSC, who created the CAP, also created the SuperCannon II and LPD. Many others have created ergonomical homemade designs, water balloon launchers, etc. and the DIY community is well and alive with new ideas amongst those who are working at homemades.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat